Are drones the total future of air warfare? | Page 2 | World Defense

Are drones the total future of air warfare?

xTinx

Reactions
Country
Philippines
Drones will definitely play a major role in future air warfare. Compared to fighter jets where you can't guarantee pilots' lives, you can use drones to infiltrate enemy enclaves without having to sacrifice them. There are also super-silent drone types, capable of spying on enemy movements without getting detected. You can cover so much ground with drones and minimize casualties on your end.

tasha

Reactions
Country
South Africa
I think there are advantages and disadvantages when using Drones as they do help in war to find the target and to get a view of what is going on so that the soldiers can be warned, however the drones can be seen by the enemy too and by the time the soldiers need to get out it is too late so maybe instead of drones they should find a way to retreive soldiers quickly before it is too late. There is no point in watching what is going on if there is no point of escape. Drones cans also be effective by getting the target which could take days if it was done on foot.

tournique

Reactions
Country
Romania
Drones have a huge advantage over manned vehicles. But they are still just drones and it's not that easy to remotely operate them. Let's say we encounter an EMP, what happens to the drones guiding system then?

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1
Country
Canada
I agree, drones will change the landscape of war tremendously - although not for a while. Currently, drones play significant roles in recon, and I think it will only get better. I can see drones being used to identify firing positions and relaying them to the ground troops using some sort of smart systems.

Lifting the fog of war is going to be one of the most important aspects of ensuring troops on the ground stay alive.

Laura Greenbrier

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
Country
USA
There are many aspects to drone warfare in addition to the delivery of arms. One key role in which drones can serve is intelligence. We are looking at the very beginning of drone warfare, and some versions of the crafts are already quite small and nimble. Miniaturization will continue and soon we will have, or perhaps already have, miniature drones that are virtually unnoticeable. This mobile intelligence drone can infiltrate key strategic positions without being noticed, and deliver intelligence that could literally influence the decisions of commanders and shift the fortunes of entire nations--as in "The Imitation Game."

Redheart

Reactions
Country
USA
I don't think drones will be the future of air warfare. In fact, in future except in small wars, air warfare will be all but dead. Why? Because should there be a major war, nuclear weapons will be used. First targets to be hit would be air bases and other military targets.

JoanMcWench

NEW RECRUIT
Country
USA
As far as air warfare is concerned? Yes, I do believe drones are going to be our future. However, as far as war in general is concerned: No. Technological warfare is the new war. Why have people man deadly toys when you can clear their funds, disturb their missions, crash their planes in a few keystrokes?

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Country
USA
In the far future it is possible that this would be the main tools which will be used in air warfare, along with other futuristic tools and weapons. Drones have a lot of advantages and we have observed that today and it could give more in the future with upgrades and further improvements. It is just frightening to think that these are computer controlled and piloted, so a cyber attack may disable it and worse be used against the one who deployed these drones. I don’t know exactly what future warfare holds, but I hope humans will still be the ones calling the shots during these times.

tipoywizard

Reactions
Country
Philippines
Yes I do believe that drones are the most important weapons in air warfare in the future. Right now drone are used as an effecient and cheap aide for policing and surveillance and maybe in the future it can be used to carry bombs, biological warfare, lazers and small nuclear missiles (just my imagination).

Coltodor

Reactions
Country
USA
It look that way. Everything is getting automated now and the reduction of people in harm way is pretty appealing to people. As time go on drones are going to get more advanced as well as more common.

stevesxs9

NEW RECRUIT
Country
USA
I think drones will figure heavily in the future of warfare and surveillance, but will never replace the human element and input because humans are responsible for the creation of drones. I would guess that many years from now there could even be robotic soldiers fighting in air and on the ground.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1
Country
USA
Drones have always been slated as the next air warfare devices. Look at what they can do from above. They can be outfitted with machine guns and hellfire missiles. I just found it funny that drug dealers are using them to ship drugs over seas.

vash

Reactions
27 1
Country
USA
In near future (within at least a decade or two), manned weapon systems will still dominate the battlefield on this planet.

I believe eventually drones will replace manned aircraft, as well as tanks, ships too.
However, I do not believe in fully automatic drones. I simply don't trust them to make decisions lol. Full automation will eventually lead to having human interference cut out from the equation completely, and I do not like the direction it's going after that. Think about Skynet and Terminator.

I am all for remotely controlled drones with minimal automation. I understand there will be delay (like ping during gaming) when control a drone from thousands miles away, but I believe the problem will eventually be solved with technologies become more advanced.

Laplace

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
Country
Philippines
If we're talking about simple tasks that does not require decision making, then drones are superior in every way. Plus, they can be controlled by pilots in the base so they can make better decisions. The problem is that if they are targeted specifically by a foreign invader. I've thought up many possibilities to bring them down. Electromagnetic interference, Hacking their software, shooting them down to study their technology and a lot more. Some of them functions like objects in the sky waiting on standby, so you can't really make them think for themselves if they are attacked.

Rowe992

Reactions
Country
Belize
I think drones will be use more for surveillance and for bombings of targets with no air defense systems. I don't think we will see drones replacing aircraft in air to air combat or in wars that involve armies with air defense systems.. Drones could be more effective in policing and information gathering.