Unmanned aerial vehicles | UAVs | Page 4 | World Defense

Unmanned aerial vehicles | UAVs

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think drones could totally replace boots on the ground. There are places that combatants can hide without being discovered or accessed by drones. If we were to get farther into unmanned technology, like robotic soldiers, then I think we could potentially see a huge reduction of real soldiers. Of course, this works much better as offense than defense. At some point, a drone attack against America creates the necessity of those being attacked to become soldiers to defend themselves. I think that this is all quite a long ways of, if at all, though.

Drone might be able to replace boots on the ground, although you are right there certainly are locations that cannot be access with a drone. Soon the drones will have more competent firepower and this will no longer be a problem... I think the main thing that is and will hold drones back is the civilian casualty rate, if it is even released. Boots on the ground may kill a civilian or two but the soldiers will carry the emotional burden unless they are sociopaths. A drone is a machine.

rofltank

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
It's a good potential that we can see drones being the future of air warfare of almost all air forces in the world. For one, they don't cost the lives of pilots. We don't have to spend much money and time preparing pilots for combat and spending money on gear and safety, when we could buy drones and control them from a safe distance. We don't need to worry about the safety of our men if we're flying drones, and it might save us money in the foreseeable future.

wahmed

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think no matter how many machines we make there are somethings that only humans can do. Remember machines get broken and muck up they don't have brains. Humans do

Waynefire

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Not sure if this belongs in this group or not, but thought it would. With the use of drones becoming so much more prevalent, do you think it will eventually reach the level as to where drones are going to replace the human pilot and do aerial combat or are drones going to be only for tactical strikes?

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Not sure if this belongs in this group or not, but thought it would. With the use of drones becoming so much more prevalent, do you think it will eventually reach the level as to where drones are going to replace the human pilot and do aerial combat or are drones going to be only for tactical strikes?
I don't know. But all I can say is that many things were impossible in the past turned to be possible now.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I think they are going to end up everywhere, doing everything. Amazon is getting ready to start delivering packages with a drone I take that as an indication that drones have a very big future ahead.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I think they are going to end up everywhere, doing everything. Amazon is getting ready to start delivering packages with a drone I take that as an indication that drones have a very big future ahead.
You are in a defense forum please...we are talking about military UAV not kids copters.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Unmanned drones replacing human pilots has been talked about for something like 5 plus years now, has it not? An unmanned drone can do things a human is not capable of such as extremely high-g manoeuvrers, but it does not have a brain and I think this will be a big block in the way of people who want these drones to replace pilots.

I may be wrong but isn't this generation of fighters supposed, or reputed to be, the last batch of manned fighting aircraft?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
What if the scenario would be like this. Drones with their cameras are hovering above the camp, spying by taking photos and videos. The soldiers in the camp below sees what's intruding in their air space. So those soldiers shoot the drones one by one. Isn't it a good skirmish? Not so desctructive and no human life involved. Can wars be like that so there would be less violence in the world? Pardon me if I am dreaming.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately in war you will always get bloodshed. That is an unavoidable fact.

The scenario you said about does make a good point and I think operations like that are already taking place around the world somewhere. However as soon as one of the drones were shot down I think the others would be withdrawn rather quickly and an air strike ordered for that position, be it by human pilot or UAV.

bennewcombe

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
"You are in a defense forum please...we are talking about military UAV not kids copters"

Ahahha yes mte

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I am wondering how drones. originally I think established to be a military secret weapon are now in such common use. I mean Amazon to deliver packages, outfitted with guns, by mechanical engineering students. I realize that maybe some of the Boeing or famous maker technology is patenteneted but it didn't take long for civilians to pick up on this.

Lilly Smith

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I am a HUGE fan of drones, however, I think they should be used STRICTLY for military use for surveillance, information gathering and perhaps weapons so that loss of human life can be less than with ground "air" forces, but I am certainly not for the wide use of drones by the general public. This is going to lead to awful consequences in a very short time. We are going to begin to see things like interference with air planes, trains, etc. not to mention the capability of some maniac strapping a bomb to it and heading out to who knows where. Who else feels this way? Are they "cool" toys or dangerous potential weapons?

Lilly Smith

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Sorry @BLACKEAGLE......somehow I just saw what ke gordon posted and wanted to reply while I had it on my mind.....where will this be moved so I can follow it? Again, sorry:(