Bangladeshi English Professor Hacked To Death | World Defense

Bangladeshi English Professor Hacked To Death

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
It seems this type of incident is increasing throughout the world. The first place my mind went, of course, was the presumption that the act was carried out by jihadis, since that seems to be the norm these days. The article states that he wasn't political in the least, but perhaps he was mistaken for someone who was, or the attackers targeted him for another reason.

Apparently there has been an increase in this type of event in Bangladesh, particularly toward bloggers. Although the subject(s) of the victims' blogs isn't specified, it seems clear it's not the act of blogging which is considered target-appropriate, but perhaps the topics on which the victims reported. Bangladeshi professor hacked to death near his home - CNN.com This brings to mind the targeting for death of bloggers in Mexico who dare to report on cartel activity.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Crime happens a lot everywhere in the world. It doesn't matter if you are an English professor, a billionaire, or a garbage collector. I fail to see why his profession was put as an important matter when talking about his death. Yes, his death was a tragedy, but it happens everywhere, this isn't anything special.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Hacking someone to death isn't considered a typical crime, at least in my part of the world. As there was another such incident today, and one of the victims was a U.S. embassy employee, perhaps the fact that this man was a professor of English actually was relevant. I like to ascertain why incidents occur, so they can be categorized, and patterns discerned, rather than simply assuming they are random acts of violence.