Congress want to stop salutes to service | World Defense

Congress want to stop salutes to service

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
The NFL is doing often a Salute-to-service, and many teams participates and host military appreciation days over the year. The thing is, a newspaper article revealed that these salutes are essentially paid by the Department of Defense as advertisements. It also adds that the DoD has paid over $6 million the NFL for the last four years.

The thing is, the final version of the National Defense Authorization act contains some text that would ban the practice. This is an Arizona Senator mainly leading the effort, with the support of John McCain. Senators question the "paid-for-patriotism" philosophy (that's the word some used internally), meanwhile US Armed Forces face a military spending's cut. The Arizona Senator asked for an accounting of the money spent and the benefits from the Pentagon.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
So the US government is paying the NFL to show patriotism to the US army? I am not surprised by this because the US government has always advertised their army in order to attract young people to join it. There advertising is just like any company that has an item or service to sell.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm all for patriotism and respect for the armed forces of you nation but paying people to salute them does seem just that little bit cheeky in my eyes. It seems more like a bribe and not an act of patriotism at all.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I'm all for unsponsored acts of patriotism. I'm against taxpayer funded ones that ultimately benefit the NFL by making them look patriotic, when in fact, they are apparently profiting from this practice. If we paid the troops better, they wouldn't need discounts to overpriced sporting events. We are in debt, and need to be looking at ways to cut back on our overspending. This sounds like a decent place to cut back.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
So the US government is paying the NFL to show patriotism to the US army? I am not surprised by this because the US government has always advertised their army in order to attract young people to join it. There advertising is just like any company that has an item or service to sell.

That's also my impression that everything the military does is to attract the youth in serving their country. I remember the time when Elvis Presley was very popular but he was not spared of the military service. And if I am not mistaken, he was stationed in Germany. They said that there was a deluge of applicants for service at that time because of Elvis.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
That's also my impression that everything the military does is to attract the youth in serving their country. I remember the time when Elvis Presley was very popular but he was not spared of the military service. And if I am not mistaken, he was stationed in Germany. They said that there was a deluge of applicants for service at that time because of Elvis.

Yes, I believe you're right about Elvis Presley being stationed in Germany @Corzhens. Back during World War II, Hollywood helped attract youth to service with patriotic movies, and the USO provides entertainment for the troops with high profile singers, dancers and musicians. I'm in favor of a strong military, and believe we should take care of those who secure our freedom, but I also believe in truth in advertising. I think it's a positive step that we are being shown the effects of war with pictures and stories of those who've been wounded or killed, because people need to know what they are getting themselves into before they volunteer.

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
Blech. I'm not surprised, but blech. If you truly appreciate the sacrifice the armed forces are called on to make, you should offer them free placement. This is disingenuous to the extreme.

If I remember correctly he was offered special service that would've allowed him to perform for the troops rather than join their ranks. He turned that down, and was just another soldier like the rest of 'em. Bet that did wonders for his popularity, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Blech. I'm not surprised, but blech. If you truly appreciate the sacrifice the armed forces are called on to make, you should offer them free placement. This is disingenuous to the extreme.

If I remember correctly he was offered special service that would've allowed him to perform for the troops rather than join their ranks. He turned that down, and was just another soldier like the rest of 'em. Bet that did wonders for his popularity, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

I have the utmost respect for someone who would do that. Obviously, someone of his stature would be offered something out of the range of fire, and with cushier accommodations, but to go in with the rest, without accepting special treatment is certainly special. I doubt most would do so, especially nowadays.