Could the Ukrainian Conflict spark off World War III? | Page 2 | World Defense

Could the Ukrainian Conflict spark off World War III?

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
My opinion is that Putin took Crimea and started the war in Ukraine because he wanted to test how far NATO would go. He can see that he can pretty much get away with occupying territory as long as it belongs to a weak state with the only repercussions being a few sanctions. As for attacking a NATO member, I'm not sure if he would go that far. Maybe if another event diverted the world's attention but that would have to be pretty huge.

Crimea is strategic interest for Russia. It isn't about testing NATO. The opposite was occurring prior to Ukraine flareup. NATO was testing Russia, expanding missile systems(Defensive and Strike capabilities) around it.

I doubt it very much, this is a border/domestic war which probably has been brewing for many years. If there is another World War it will be more likely to be the Middle East where it becomes international. They have come close to resolutions several times already which is a good sign, as negotiations always take a long time.

I can't see how a world war would take place in the ME. If more nations breakdown, and there are resources at stake. Nations may compete over them. It won't be a nuclear war though. The Middle East isn't capable of projecting power. Only thing that is capable of is bringing world down with it due to one factor: instability. I know some Christians and Jews believe war of 'Armageddon' will take place there. That is unlikely without foreign support.

It will only occur if Turkey becomes strategic ally to Russia. And Turkey opens its waters to Russia. Together along with other elements they would have to take down Israel. For strategic purposes. I still don't believe it will go nuclear. If such scenario occurred.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
A good point to raise is the previous World Wars were between empires who declared war on each other. There isn't any empires left and although there are countries with considerable manpower and resources they are not the same of empires of the past.
There is honestly a great chance of a second Cold War than WWIII.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
NATO will not interfere with Ukraine and will not give Russia a reason to mobilize the army.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
You are right, but the possibility of Ukraine joining NATO has been discussed in many opportunities, though not possible at the moment.

Also, Russian submarines have been sighted in more than one opportunity in Swedish water.

Russian submarines being sighted in swedish water is just a try of the Russian Army to show their power and how great Russia is.

A possibility of a third World War is not out of question, but there still is a small percentage saying that there is a chance. The ukrainian conflict is probably not going to be the trigger for it.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion is that Putin took Crimea and started the war in Ukraine because he wanted to test how far NATO would go. He can see that he can pretty much get away with occupying territory as long as it belongs to a weak state with the only repercussions being a few sanctions. As for attacking a NATO member, I'm not sure if he would go that far. Maybe if another event diverted the world's attention but that would have to be pretty huge.

If we look back at experiences in the past we can see that international agencies such as the league of nations and NATO have learnt about how to stop aggressors. We have seen that appeasing countries that are aggressive does not work and the Marshall plan showed us that we can prevent Russian take over without the need for retaliation. Overall I can see some action taken against Russia but not war.

morgan_titan

Reactions
5 1 0
Country
Canada
A good point to raise is the previous World Wars were between empires who declared war on each other. There isn't any empires left and although there are countries with considerable manpower and resources they are not the same of empires of the past.
There is honestly a great chance of a second Cold War than WWIII.

Empires have evolved. They still exist. Pax Americana is the one we all worship right now. Pax Europa is struggling, but there. I do agree about the potential for a Cold War, although, with the recent spy news coming from the US re: Russia, one can say that the Cold War never really ended - just shifted a bit.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Empires have evolved. They still exist. Pax Americana is the one we all worship right now. Pax Europa is struggling, but there. I do agree about the potential for a Cold War, although, with the recent spy news coming from the US re: Russia, one can say that the Cold War never really ended - just shifted a bit.
There are very few empires that still exist and none that I would consider to be anywhere near the same level as the empires of old. Those empires evolved their way out of existence. Governments found that it was easier to let people govern themselves and ally with each other rather than try and hold sovereignty over a country. Today we form Coalitions instead of mustering for total war.