Elderly Woman, 10 Yr Old Girl Carry Out Suicide Bombings | World Defense

Elderly Woman, 10 Yr Old Girl Carry Out Suicide Bombings

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Nigeria blasts: Girl, elderly woman carry out bombings - CNN.com

A bombing attack targeting Muslim prayer grounds in Nigeria's northeastern Yobe state killed nine people and injured 18, an army spokesman said.

An elderly woman and a 10-year-old girl carried the explosives used in the attack.

They detonated their devices at screening areas set up by security forces outside two sites where worshippers were gathering for prayers in the town of Damaturu, Col. Sani Kukasheka Usman said.

Police spokesman Gbadegesin Joshua Toyin had earlier said at least 12 people were killed in the blasts as well as the two attackers.

A day earlier, two simultaneous bombings ripped through a market in the city of Gombe, capital of neighboring Gombe state, killing at least 48 people and injuring 58 others, a Red Cross official said.

One of the blasts was caused by a female suicide bomber, the other by a bomb hidden at the market, the official said.

The deadly attacks struck a region where violence blamed on the Islamic militant group Boko Haram has killed hundreds of people in recent weeks.

Highway barricaded

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the latest attacks. But Boko Haram terrorists have previously carried out suicide and bombing attacks on bus stations and markets in Gombe and other northern cities.

Damaturu, which is about 185 kilometers (115 miles) northeast of Gombe, has repeatedly found itself the target of attacks tied to Boko Haram in the past.

Earlier this week, gunmen barricaded a highway that links Damaturu to another town and killed more than 20 motorists, a lawmaker said.

Security forces responded immediately to Friday's blasts in Damaturu, and the situation is "currently under control," an army statement said.

"The Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Geidam and the Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Yusuf Buratai have (sympathized) with the victims and the people of the state and urged residents to stay calm and be security conscious at all times," it said.

Deadly insurgency

Boko Haram, which has pledged allegiance to the Islamist extremist group ISIS, appears to have intensified its campaign of brutal violence in northern and central Nigeria recently.

The Nigerian military has been unable to put a stop to the frequent raids and bombings.

Boko Haram has been leading a ruthless, deadly insurgency for more than a decade, pushing to bring an extreme version of Islamic law, or Sharia, to the masses.

The government of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari -- who took office in May, pledging to step up the fight against the terrorist group -- said recently it would be open to talks with the militants at some stage.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
That region really sucks, there is human development crisis there that world needs to reverse before this becomes a burden on everybody.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but I cannot come to terms with the suspects of that suicide bombing. Is that a grandmother and her grandchild doing that destructive chore of killing people in praying areas, just like the previous bombing that I had read in this site. If that is the responsibility of Boko Haram, what would they say to Saudi Arabian leaders when asked of that bombing incident?

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely terrible.

Something really needs to be done to stop these extremist groups before more vulnerable people are brainwashed and used to cause hurt to hundreds others.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Pardon me but I cannot come to terms with the suspects of that suicide bombing. Is that a grandmother and her grandchild doing that destructive chore of killing people in praying areas, just like the previous bombing that I had read in this site. If that is the responsibility of Boko Haram, what would they say to Saudi Arabian leaders when asked of that bombing incident?

I doubt that Boko Haram are concerned about explaining themselves to Saudi leaders. This grandmother and girl have obviously been brainwashed in a msimilar manner to ISIS fighters. They've been told that carrying out this act will make them martyrs and they will receive a eternal riches in the afterlife.

Considering that their daily lives probably involved extreme hunger, poor sanitation and an endless struggle against oppression, this could have seemed a viable alternative.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I doubt that Boko Haram are concerned about explaining themselves to Saudi leaders. This grandmother and girl have obviously been brainwashed in a msimilar manner to ISIS fighters. They've been told that carrying out this act will make them martyrs and they will receive a eternal riches in the afterlife.

Considering that their daily lives probably involved extreme hunger, poor sanitation and an endless struggle against oppression, this could have seemed a viable alternative.

It pains me to read your post about that brainwashing (no offense to you). Those 2 lives who should be living happily are now dead. And what kind of death did they meet? This brainwashing of ISIS is getting out of hand. There was this girl who was interviewed by a news reporter, she admitted being wooed by ISIS whose "marketing arm" are composed of very patient people willing to talk for hours on skype. That's their method of brainwashing maybe.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
In an age where a grandmother should be helping her granddaughter in school work or having fun, we see the elderly person doing this and may have been told lies or helped with money, so had to do this which took their lives in the end. Nigeria has been a place where everyone fears each day as will they live or die and the militants are involved with the ISIS, which is not good and maybe want world domination and attack the weak areas first then to the stronger parts. I wonder what will happen if ISIS will turn on the Boko Haram group and then that will cause a struggle for power and dominance over the people and take more lives possibly.