India US Logistics Support Agreement To Be Signed | World Defense

India US Logistics Support Agreement To Be Signed

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
In a move that would allow India and US to utilize each other's military bases for resupplies, repair, and rest, both governments have agreed to work out the last hurdle to the agreement and sign the agreement by April this year.

The impediment to the agreement so far had been that India did not want to be an "automatic" ally to the US in case of a war - "no binding commitment to support the United States in war".

This impediment has now been cleared with the US agreeing to include clauses in the agreement ensuring that such a binding commitment or an unconditional alliance would not be part of the agreement.

India, U.S. closer to pact to share military logistics - officials| Reuters

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This is a very useful reciprocal agreement. I must commend India, however, on their insistence on the maintenance of their ability to independently make their own decision if the need should arise.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
This is a very useful reciprocal agreement. I must commend India, however, on their insistence on the maintenance of their ability to independently make their own decision if the need should arise.

Absolutely, the exact words that were used were, "We're not England. We're not going to be anyone's global Lieutenant."
This was basically, what an expert once said on TV and so I believe that he was being quoted directly for the lack of better words to make the position clear.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
That clause about "automatic ally" is a good one. Pardon me but US has the propensity to join wars of other countries. So what happens if the US gets into war with China? India would be dragged and to think that China is their neighbor, huh. The Philippines has an ongoing military exercise called "balikatan" where US soldiers and a counterpart of Philippine soldiers are engaged in war games. But like India, there are no strings attached in case of war.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
But, I have to say, China is no longer "bullying" its neighbors as much as it used to thanks to the alliance that has grown in the pacific rim. I think China knows now that further expansion would not be possible without an escalation in tensions. And that its basically surrounded by countries that want no part in aiding its expansionist doctrine.