Indian signs a deal for 36 Rafale fighter jet | World Defense

Indian signs a deal for 36 Rafale fighter jet

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Negotiations over purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets enter ‘final stage’
The development came nearly four months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande signed a memorandum of agreement (MoU) to purchase 36 Rafale combat jets.

rafale-jet-759.jpg

Sources said the price for 36 Rafales, as per the UPA tender, keeping the cost escalation and dollar rate in mind, comes to a little over Rs 65,000 crore.

The negotiations over the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets have entered the “final stages” as both India and France have managed to narrow down their differences over the pricing. Government sources said that the deal has not been concluded yet but it is in “final stages”.

The development came nearly four months after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande signed a memorandum of agreement (MoU) to purchase 36 Rafale combat jets. The Indian side has been negotiating hard to bring down the price of the Rafale deal.

Sources said the price for 36 Rafales, as per the UPA tender, keeping the cost escalation and dollar rate in mind, comes to a little over Rs 65,000 crore. This includes the cost involved in making changes India has sought in the aircraft, including Israeli helmet mounted display and some specific weaponry, among others.

“The effort is to bring down the price to less than Euros 8 billion (Rs 59,000 crore),” the sources said. Sources said the French have more or less agreed to Indian terms. The expectation is that the final deal will be clinched by May-end. The deal comes with the clause of delivering 50 per cent offsets, creating business worth at least 3 billion Euros for smaller Indian companies and creating thousands of new jobs in India through the offsets. In fact, the toughest phase in the negotiations that began in July 2015 – three months after Modi announced in Paris India’s plan to purchase 36 Rafale jets – was to get the French to agree to 50 per cent offsets in the deal. Initially, Dassault Aviation was willing to agree to reinvest only 30 per cent of the value of its contract in Indian entities to meet the offset obligations.

The French side finally agreed to invest 50 per cent of the value following a phone conversation between Modi and Hollande late last year. The commercial negotiations, as in the pricing of the planes, equipment and other issues, actually began only in mid-January this year.

Under the proposed deal, French companies apart from Dassault Aviation, will provide several aeronautics, electronics and micro-electronics technologies to comply with the offset obligation. Companies like Safran and Thales will join Dassault in providing state-of-art technologies in stealth, radar, thrust vectoring for missiles and materials for electronics and micro-electronics.

Negotiations over purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets enter ‘final stage’ | The Indian Express

@Gabriel92 congrats man.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
India is spending way too much money on military. I mean, it might not be that much if you compare the total number to top spenders like the US, China, Japan, etc, but in term of % in GDP, it is a lot. From what I have heard, more than half the Indians still do not have toilets. Maybe they should spend money more wisely. It is unlikely someone will attack them as they already have nukes on the top of 3 carrier fleet with more than 1.2 billion population's backing.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
India is spending way too much money on military. I mean, it might not be that much if you compare the total number to top spenders like the US, China, Japan, etc, but in term of % in GDP, it is a lot. From what I have heard, more than half the Indians still do not have toilets. Maybe they should spend money more wisely. It is unlikely someone will attack them as they already have nukes on the top of 3 carrier fleet with more than 1.2 billion population's backing.

Pardon me but that reasoning is unfair. It is like the reasoning of the activists here that when they see a celebration of the rich, they would criticize and say there are poor people. But anyway, maybe it is a matter of priority meaning the armaments are more important than the toilets. I'm sure the military would say that if they buy the toilets then what happens when Pakistan attacks India? Just my opinion, I have no basis for the attack.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While I understand that every country as the right to protect itself, I'm also tending to agree that the amount India is spending isn't justified for then to say its for their own protection alone.

I'm not saying they're planning an attack somewhere, but if they was, they're certainly going to be more than capable of doing it with what they're spending.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Pardon me but that reasoning is unfair. It is like the reasoning of the activists here that when they see a celebration of the rich, they would criticize and say there are poor people. But anyway, maybe it is a matter of priority meaning the armaments are more important than the toilets. I'm sure the military would say that if they buy the toilets then what happens when Pakistan attacks India? Just my opinion, I have no basis for the attack.

India is way ahead of Pakistan in term of military power. Just take a look at their military spending, the size of military, as well as their inventories. India is more than capable of fighting perhaps two Pakistan at the same time and win. Spending more money on military will just mean less money for the much needed infrastructures. I have experienced first hand when I hired an Indian web designer to design my web pages. It was during summer time, and every day he told me "the power will go out shortly". Not enough electricity produced to sustain 24/7 power consumption. Tell me it isn't more urgent matter to fix than getting more fighter jets.

"Getting attacked by Pakistan"... I don't think two nuke powers will fight each other easily even if Pakistan somehow manage to catch up in conventional military capability.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I read somewhere that there are some parts in India that still do not have sufficient waterways when it comes to toilets and privy. People sometimes excrete their waste on streets, or on fields, then cover it up with dirt like a cat. Shouldn't they fix those before buying fighter jets worth millions and millions of dollars?

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
I feel India is spending way beyond what is necessary with regard to other pressing economic matters like housing and job creation as well as health and food requirements of its teeming population. Its a case of lopsided priorities since the other day they launched a space program. Well, its understandable due to the geopolitical dynamics of the Asian subcontinent as they have to maintain a credible conventional deterrent against China and Pakistan. But modern wars are gradually shifting to the asymmetrical and such weapons engender a sense of disproportionality.