Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Jiri Kominek, Prague and Jeremy Binnie, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
08 February 2015
http://www.janes.com/article/48764/iraq-takes-delivery-of-czech-armour
1628679_-_main.jpg

A T-72 of the 34th Brigade of the 9th Armoured Division seen in Baghdad in 2009. The division used Soviet-designed tanks before getting M1A1s. Source: PA Photos
The Czech defence company Excalibur Army delivered an unspecified number of refurbished T-72 main battle tanks (MBTs) and BVP-1 infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) to Iraq on 5 February.

"We do not wish to disclose the exact number of vehicles that were handed over to the customer yesterday, nor intend to disclose the overall number of either BVP-1 vehicles or T-72 tanks," Excalibur spokesperson Andrej Cirtek told IHS Jane's . "What I can say is that the contract calls for the delivery of over 100 refurbished vehicles over a period of several years."

The BVP-1 is the version of the BMP-1 that was built in Czechoslovakia during the Cold War.

Cirtek added that Excalibur and the Iraqi defence ministry have agreed not to disclose the value of the contract saying only that it was worth several hundred million Czech crowns.

Apart from supplying the vehicles, Excalibur Army will also deliver complete sets of spare parts for each vehicle.

The Iraqi Ministry of Defence had been negotiating with several potential suppliers from Ukraine, Russia, and elsewhere in Europe.

Excalibur CEO Jaroslav Strnad told media his company was selected by the Iraqi defence ministry over other potential suppliers because of the right balance between price, in-house know-how, and the ability to deliver the vehicles in a timely manner.

Excalibur also began delivering refurbished BVP-1 infantry fighting vehicles and T-72 MBTs to the government of Nigeria beginning in late January. Similar to Iraq, Nigeria intends to use the armoured vehicles to combat Islamist insurgents active on its territory.
Iraq takes delivery of Czech armour - IHS Jane's 360

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Wait for it to fall into ISIS hands. Seriously, Iraq is making no effort in competing ISIS. Arming the Iraqi army is a big mistake.

What happen to the Abrams? No more of em or they aren't good enough?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Wait for it to fall into ISIS hands. Seriously, Iraq is making no effort in competing ISIS. Arming the Iraqi army is a big mistake.
What happen to the Abrams? No more of em or they aren't good enough?

The Iraqi Army sold all the Abrams. ISIS was then complaining to the Iraqi Army that the Abrams is an excellent tank but it requires a lot of maintance. ISIS then decided that they prefer former Soviet equipment since it requires less maintance, and is easier to repair. So the Iraqi Army decided to purchase T-72.

The only way ISIS could be capturing the Iraqi Army tanks intact is because they where sold to them on the black market.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
The Iraqi Army sold all the Abrams. ISIS was then complaining to the Iraqi Army that the Abrams is an excellent tank but it requires a lot of maintance. ISIS then decided that they prefer former Soviet equipment since it requires less maintance, and is easier to repair. So the Iraqi Army decided to purchase T-72.

The only way ISIS could be capturing the Iraqi Army tanks intact is because they where sold to them on the black market.

I never thought of it like that but I don't think that is possible to happen at for the fact that ISIS and the Iraq army see each other as enemies.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
I never thought of it like that but I don't think that is possible to happen at for the fact that ISIS and the Iraq army see each other as enemies.

Saddam Hussien was the only thing keeping the radical Muslims in Iraq under control, and USA kept on complaining on how he was killing them. There is probably 30%+ support for the radical Muslims in Iraq and growing. Afghanistan many of the Afghan allies intentionally lead US forces into ambushes or traps. How do you know if the Iraqi allied forces are your friends or enemies ?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it will not be a good thing for the ISIS to get their hands on this as it could make their chances more better at being the most powerful nation and wanting to overtake the world will prove to be a bad mistake as fighting too many battles at once will be too much. It can be hard to know who they are with and also, it can be a business like deal for them when forming friendships with others and lasts till it benefits them. I reckon it can be hard to know sometimes what they do and is it for themselves or the others around them and will be interesting to see what happens later on.