Is the tank going to be around for much longer? | Page 4 | World Defense

Is the tank going to be around for much longer?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Battlefields of the future are going to depend a lot on speed. Tank development with the enhancement of speed is key like the US M1 Abrams tank. Mobility such as being able to fire on the move is also key. This was the Republican Guards down fall in the Gulf War in the tank battles that ensued having to stop and fire got a lot of them destroyed by the quicker and more mobile M1. Speed and mobility are key.

I believe has long as developing countries such as the US, Britain and others continue to make advancements in technology it will carry over to the tank and other military warfare equipment.

Ture however, making tanks a bit faster means less protection. There is no way to do it other than that. I think battlefields of the future are going to deepened on more LAVs with mounted anti tank missiles. If such thing were to be adopted then tanks would more vulnerable and useless. Its true that Tanks armament can take out LAVs easily but here comes the C-4 strategy and air supports.

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
They could go they way of the battleships. Battleships became obsolete after world war 2 and were replaced with missile cruisers and aircraft carriers, or at least the budget went there. We still have a lot of destroyers with barreled guns but I think the main change will be from the barrel kind of artillery to missiles. Maybe that's what's in store for tanks in the future. If the Navy ever hurries up and makes the railgun feasible in the near future, we could see rail tanks!

Metadoom

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 1 0
Country
USA
Ture however, making tanks a bit faster means less protection. There is no way to do it other than that. I think battlefields of the future are going to deepened on more LAVs with mounted anti tank missiles. If such thing were to be adopted then tanks would more vulnerable and useless. Its true that Tanks armament can take out LAVs easily but here comes the C-4 strategy and air supports.

Well not necessarily..The K2 Black Panther of South Korea is one of the most advanced (MBTs) in the world. It also lighter than the US M1A2 Abrams (MBT). But the K2 is not currently in service. Not to mention a lot of the armor on modern day tanks is lighter which thus makes the tanks more mobile and faster. The Israeli Merkava Mk4 is probably an exception and is excessively heavy.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say the tank still has a role to play in modern warfare. I thinks its getting to be a more and more specific role but its a role none the less.
While weaponry is getting more and more advanced, muscle and a bit of brute force can still go a long way also. While the modern day battlefield might not be filled with tanks like we've seen in the past, I think the tank can be used more effectively these days in urban areas.
If your in need of a show of strength, then use a tank...

Metadoom

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 1 0
Country
USA
I'd say the tank still has a role to play in modern warfare. I thinks its getting to be a more and more specific role but its a role none the less.
While weaponry is getting more and more advanced, muscle and a bit of brute force can still go a long way also. While the modern day battlefield might not be filled with tanks like we've seen in the past, I think the tank can be used more effectively these days in urban areas.
If your in need of a show of strength, then use a tank...

I think the tank can be used more effectively these days in urban areas.

True. This was my thinking. Tanks in an urban warfare setting will reduce civilian deaths considerably. And can be positioned in crucial areas not to mention cover fire for ground troops. The German Panzer units are great examples of this.

Last edited:

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Well not necessarily..The K2 Black Panther of South Korea is one of the most advanced (MBTs) in the world. It also lighter than the US M1A2 Abrams (MBT). But the K2 is not currently in service. Not to mention a lot of the armor on modern day tanks is lighter which thus makes the tanks more mobile and faster. The Israeli Merkava Mk4 is probably an exception and is excessively heavy.

Neither the K2 nor Merkava are heavily armored like the M1. I have to disagree with you mate here. The modern armor doesn't make tanks lighter or faster. It adds up to weight making tanks more heaver.

Armor of the Abrams:

M1, M1A1
: Burlingtoncomposite armor.
M1A2: depleted uranium mesh-reinforced composite armor.

• M1: Hull & turret – 450 mm vs Armour-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabotAPFSDS, 650 mm vs High-explosive anti-tank warhead (HEAT).
  • M1A1: Hull & turret – 600 mm vs APFSDS, 900 mm vs HEAT
  • M1A1HA: Hull – 600 mm vs APFSDS, 700 mm vs HEAT, Turret – 800 mm vs APFSDS, 1,300 mm vs HEAT.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
True. This was my thinking. Tanks in an urban warfare setting will reduce civilian deaths considerably. And can be positioned in crucial areas not to mention cover fire for ground troops. The German Panzer units are great examples of this.

In urban warfare tanks are prone to anti-tanks missiles. If you follow they Syrian civil war you get an idea on what I'm talking about. I will leave you with this video.

The crew got toast by an RPG/29

Metadoom

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 1 0
Country
USA
Well sadly your not even safe in a tank....gist of it is I do not think the tank is going anywhere soon.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
In urban warfare tanks are prone to anti-tanks missiles. If you follow they Syrian civil war you get an idea on what I'm talking about. I will leave you with this video.

The crew got toast by an RPG/29

OK, so I am not really sure what I've seen there, is that tank indestructible or what? I am amazed how with all that fire the man still manages to run away from it.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think they can be compared. They are both equally important. Its like asking the question who is more important, army, air force or navy? They all do their own individual roles so you can't really ask in my opinion.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
With land war on the slide do you think that we will see a decrease in the use of tanks opting for light jets or lighter vehicles? As helicopters and planes becoming even more developed and used in combat, less land troops and vehicles will be needed. But in war do you think that you can be effective with only troops or do you think it essential to resort to heavy land vehicles like tanks?
It would get to that point where wars would be completely mechanized and the foot soldiers would be nonexistent. Unless you have a situation with Skynet come about that would be different. We are still in that spot where we haven't advanced to the idea where we would not need to have foot soldiers anymore.

Rainshield7

Reactions
3 1 0
Country
USA
Battlefields of the future are going to depend a lot on speed. Tank development with the enhancement of speed is key like the US M1 Abrams tank. Mobility such as being able to fire on the move is also key. This was the Republican Guards down fall in the Gulf War in the tank battles that ensued having to stop and fire got a lot of them destroyed by the quicker and more mobile M1. Speed and mobility are key.

I believe has long as developing countries such as the US, Britain and others continue to make advancements in technology it will carry over to the tank and other military warfare equipment.
That is how the future is looking for the tank it is soon going to be obsolete. The tank were slow during the second World War and gradually picked up some speed in the modern warfare. Now with these advance jets it is easy to say that the tank is going to be missed.