Israel approves 454 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Israel Approves 454 New Settlement Homes | Al Jazeera America

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has approved the marketing of land for the construction of 454 homes in two settlements in occupied East Jerusalem, a government official said on Tuesday. The announcement, seen as a provocation by Palestinians, comes amid weeks of escalating violence between Palestinians and Israeli forces, which began in early October over increasing visits by Jews to the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, also known asTemple Mount, in Jerusalem.

The building of 436 of the housing units, in the settlement of Ramat Shlomo on land Israel occupied in a 1967 war, was approved in 2012. But the project was later frozen after criticism from Washington and the European Union. In 2010, when the construction plans for Ramat Shlomo were first announced, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden publicly scolded Israel while he was visiting Jerusalem.

The government official, who asked not to be identified, said Netanyahu gave the go-ahead on Monday to market the homes in Ramat Shlomo and another 18 in Ramot.

In a statement, the Palestinian Authority condemned the Israeli plan and settlement-building as a whole as a "flagrant violation of international law" aimed at preventing the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Under international law, all Jewish settlements in the West Bank are considered illegal. Ramat Shlomo and Ramot are in a part of the occupied West Bank that Israel annexed to Jerusalem in 1967 in a move that has not won international recognition.

News of the decision came a week after the European Union (EU) decided to start labeling Israeli products made in the West Bank — a move that shows the bloc's disapproval over Israel's expansion of illegal settlements. The move requires that producers must explicitly label products that come from settlements built on land occupied by Israel if they are sold in the EU.

There are plenty of Jewish only community centers and schools in the United States, maybe we should begin demolishing them and converting them to 'Arab only' 'settlements'.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This news gives me the impression that Palestinians are like animals who are living in coops. I don't have a deep knowledge of the history on why Palestine and Israel are fighting but I understand that territory is one of the factors. It's easy to say that Palestinians should voluntarily relocate themselves to end their war once and for all but I understand it would be hard for a nation to do that. And the quick retort would be... why don't Israelis relocate themselves?

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
They build settlements , grab others' lands and expel unfairly without any sin. Then cry in front of cameras " The Palestinians are killing us ... save us .. Israel is suffering from terrorism " :blah: . While the truth is that Israel is the head of the terror !!

charris89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
USA
This is very illegal and definitely should not be happening. America will scold and condemn, but in the end nothing will happen. America and Israel are thick as thieves and no matter what they do nothing will happen to them. It is unfortunate because I love Israel, however they've gone to far. They should give the Palestinians their land, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
A settlement near this one just got shot up .... :---~

Go get em boys :---~

.......:

10 Israelis injured in Gush Etzion shooting attack

BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- At least 10 Israelis were injured in a shooting attack in the Gush Etzion settlement bloc on Thursday, hours after two Israelis were killed in a stabbing attack in Tel Aviv.

A spokesperson from the Israeli emergency services, Magen David Adom, said medics were responding at the scene of the "shooting incident," without providing further details.

A Palestinian suspect reportedly opened fire from a vehicle in the area, then crashed into traffic before opening fire again, Israeli media reported.

Israeli forces shot the suspect, with initial reports suggesting he was killed.

An Israeli army spokesperson said details on the incident were not immediately available.

One confirmed dead:

Terrorists kills at least one, wounds several in West Bank - Israel News, Ynetnews

Another two illegals smoked earlier:

2 Israelis killed, 2 injured in Tel Aviv stabbing attack

:---~

Don't eff with the Palestinians (:-)

jazzyjazz

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Pakistan
The US bombed Iraq on the mere suspicion of Weapons of mass destruction which later proved to be wrong, but they celebrate Israel, a country that constantly violates UN resolutions as the shining light of democracy in the middle east. How can the Israeli PM keep approving the building of Israeli settlements on Palestinian lands. It's like me approving building of my brothers home on the location of CIA headquarters. This convinces me that we can dance and rave about the civilized world and compassion all we want but the reality remains that the law of the land remains the law of the jungle i.e. the strong terrorizes the weak.