Israel launches airstrikes on Gaza Strip | Page 2 | World Defense

Israel launches airstrikes on Gaza Strip

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I wish Israel would accept palestinians as members of Israel. This would help the tensions in the area.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Mate, how do you believe we could influence policy regarding Israel? For example, how could Americans convince American government to end arms aid to Israel? Would they need to have demonstrations or...?

Demonstrations would probably not help because politicians would not go against Israel -- I mean, we know about Jewish lobbies and about how many of them would lose their support, both in voices and in money, if they even dared say something against Israel, never mind stopping the support.
That said, politicians in a democracy should represent the people and carry out their voice; so even if I think politicians would not change the policies, it should at least be more present in the voice of the people. Even if the chain is broken... Awareness is never bad to have; it makes people think; it makes people wonder if there is something up and maybe maybe wonder what they could do about it. Of course the whole conflict is a complex issue but this amount of blood does not lie, I think. And if Americans are so scared of Islam, they should also take notice of Israel -- because Israel also does not tolerate "freedom of speech against them" and it is also in its way bloodthirsty.

Basically I don't know. I post in these forums to try to see what could be done, what could be thought up between people interested in the subject.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Mate, how do you believe we could influence policy regarding Israel? For example, how could Americans convince American government to end arms aid to Israel? Would they need to have demonstrations or...?
Doubt it. Funding seems perpetual and the public cannot punish the government in any way to put an end to all this.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Doubt it. Funding seems perpetual and the public cannot punish the government in any way to put an end to all this.

But isn't that sad? We cannot punish the government when there is corruption going on, we cannot control them to make sure they fulfill the promises they've made when they were to be elected, we cannot make them hear our voices and actually try to represent us, which is the basic point of a democracy!

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
But isn't that sad? We cannot punish the government when there is corruption going on, we cannot control them to make sure they fulfill the promises they've made when they were to be elected, we cannot make them hear our voices and actually try to represent us, which is the basic point of a democracy!

It is sad but nowhere near how populations in ME(back where I'm from) can't at all influence anything. It causes a lot of seperatism/frustration over there.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
It is sad but nowhere near how populations in ME(back where I'm from) can't at all influence anything. It causes a lot of seperatism/frustration over there.

I had no idea there was some separatism in Maine. I know it isn't quite on topic, but how does it translate into every day life? Political parties getting formed? Protests in the street? Angry articles in the newspapers?

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
I think cyber warfare is the way to go against an enemy like Israel. True, there must also be IT experts in Israel. However, going by the way hackers have been hitting major systems around the world, there is very little defense against a concerted onslaught. Perhaps hackers who are sympathetic to the Palestinian cause can work together on this.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
You know the saying: "If your vote mattered, we wouldn't let you vote".

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
You know the saying: "If your vote mattered, we wouldn't let you vote".

This kind of jaded cynism never gets old.

Very true though.

I wonder how can people still believe so hard that they live in a democracy when they can only choose out of sucky choices and then the choice they thought was less sucky turns out not to be at all what they said they'd be and don't care about upholding their end of the promises -- even when they might have had good intentions but, hey. Why bother starting to change something if your term would not be long enough to really make a change?

Urgh.

What was the original subject of this again? Haha.

ProShell

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
As an American, I think that we should stop sending arms aid to Israel, and the easiest way to show that most of us feel that way would be to put it on the ballot.

I don't really care if Israel is an ally in the region, we are already on very good terms with Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Jordan.

We don't need Israel, and it's more in the wrong than South Africa during apartheid, but instead of sanctions we send them billions per year.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Sometimes i often wonder when this problem of the the middle east would come to an end.