Kim Jong-un to visit Russia, say South Korean media | World Defense

Kim Jong-un to visit Russia, say South Korean media

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
The North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, has confirmed his attendance at Russia’s celebrations in May marking the Soviet victory over Germany in the second world war, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said on Wednesday, quoting a Kremlin spokesman.

The trip, if it takes place, would be Kim’s first foreign visit since taking power in the reclusive state in 2011, and is likely to come before he visits China, the North’s main ally.

“About 20 state leaders have confirmed their attendance, and the North Korean leader is among them,” Yonhap quoted the office of Kremlin spokesman as saying in response to its written question to Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov.
The North and Russia have been looking to boost ties, as political relations chilled with China after Kim took over and defied international warnings and UN sanctions to conduct a third nuclear test in 2013.

Earlier in January, the Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, said North Korea had sent a positive signal after Putin invited Kim to the victory celebrations.
Russia marks the victory anniversary every year on 9 May.

Kim’s father, Kim Jong-il was invited to the 60th anniversary celebrations in 2005 but did not attend, Yonhap said.
source: Kim Jong-un to visit Russia, say South Korean media | World news | The Guardian

The close relationship between North Korea and Russia scares me quite a bit. Both countries have been openly belligerent lately. Russia invading the Ukraine and North Korea continuing its Nuclear Weapons Program. Its only a matter of time before one or both of them do something stupid and attack someone who is allied with the USA.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
An alliance betweed Vlad and the lil' guy? Kittyworker, that is quite frightening! Especially as this proposed visit to Russia is his first trip out of NK since he's been in charge. I'm sure the two dictators will find plenty to talk about and I can easily see them becoming bosom buddies! Maybe he just wants to go to Russia to see "The Dictator" for himself seeing as he can't watch it in his own country : )

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
Russia is wary of NK's nuclear ambitions and clearly do not see them as a stable ally. But Russia and North Korea are nonetheless united by their increasing economic dependence on China and the sanctions placed on them by the West. This mutual feeling of isolation could function as a common ground for better relations between the two countries.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
Well, by the looks of it, they are really trying to form an alliance. Would be interesting how much influence they will have over ASIA after this alliance.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Even with the increased talks of co-operation between Russia and North Korea, I fail to see what Russia gets out of this exchange. North Korea may gain much needed food, technological, and financial aid, but what would they supply in return? Even then, I don't think an alliance between the two is good news for the Western world.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
source: Kim Jong-un to visit Russia, say South Korean media | World news | The Guardian

The close relationship between North Korea and Russia scares me quite a bit. Both countries have been openly belligerent lately. Russia invading the Ukraine and North Korea continuing its Nuclear Weapons Program. Its only a matter of time before one or both of them do something stupid and attack someone who is allied with the USA.

This is indeed kind of scary. One has some nuclear weapon to dominate the world and the other has the access to outer space to pretty much want to dominate the universe. I wonder what is really their deal this time.