NAVY DOGFIGHT BEGINS: India Opens Talks With Boeing & Dassault | Page 2 | World Defense

NAVY DOGFIGHT BEGINS: India Opens Talks With Boeing & Dassault

jbgt90

Reactions
242 23
Country
India
The Rafale deal, as well as the F16IN, is an example that these deals are more of assembly than ToT. It is very unlikely that any country will give you their cutting edge tech.
I disagree , the GOI is not short of options. The Americans want to give us the tech due because they hope we will play their tune . India on the other hand just wants the tech .
The french are ready and day and so are the Russian and they come with no stings attached. This the Americans know and want us in their sphere of influence . But they misjudge India. India has a long tradition of keeping good relations with both sides of any equation.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
12,299 408
I disagree , the GOI is not short of options. The Americans want to give us the tech due because they hope we will play their tune . India on the other hand just wants the tech .
The french are ready and day and so are the Russian and they come with no stings attached. This the Americans know and want us in their sphere of influence . But they misjudge India. India has a long tradition of keeping good relations with both sides of any equation.
Well you are entitled to your opinion, but as per the current deal the Rafale's radar & EW system are just 2 systems that I remember from the top of my head, which will not be built in India.

jbgt90

Reactions
242 23
Country
India
Well you are entitled to your opinion, but as per the current deal the Rafale's radar & EW system are just 2 systems that I remember from the top of my head, which will not be built in India.
No you are right ,of course some things are not given but the rest of the specs are. for instance we have been building the jaguars since the late 80 but the British never gave us full radar tech , So will be in this case , we will ensure while we build and get TOT for most some critical components will be withheld , those will be bought as spares much more then required should sanctions happen . ( a throwback from 98)
I would like to cite a few examples of countries withholding tech from us while selling us their platforms which we have overcome .
Foxtrot class sub
Jaguar DPAS fighter
Bofors guns (to be fair they did give all tech but it was confiscated by the CBI)
Su30mki
There are many cases where mostly critical stuff is not give , we always find a way to circumvent that.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
12,299 408
Naval variant of Rafael would be better .. F/A 18 have reached their technological limit .
Plus having so.many planes is a maintainenence nightmare.
Plus india might get local production
I have to agree with you, The Rafale is a better option for India.

In terms of local production, maintenance & parts, and training, - one platform would keep it simple.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
12,299 408
Boeing in talks with Navy to sell F/A-18 fighter jets
Bloomberg | Feb 05, 2018

HIGHLIGHTS
  • A lot of technical evaluation has yet to take place, said Gene Cunningham, Boeing’s VP for defense, space and security
  • The company is also seeing opportunities for its KC-46 multirole tanker in India and other countries
  • The Navy last year invited proposals for 57 jets for its aircraft carriers
Boeing is in talks with the Indian Navy to sell its F/A-18 Hornet fighter jets in a bid to gain a bigger share of the defense market in the South Asian country, the world's biggest arms importer.

A lot of technical evaluation has yet to take place, Gene Cunningham, Boeing's vice president for defense, space and security, told reporters at the Singapore Airshow. The company is also seeing opportunities for its KC-46 multirole tanker in India and other countries, Cunningham said.

The Navy last year invited proposals for 57 jets for its aircraft carriers, while Air Force is seeking at least 100 planes. Boeing and Saab AB have said both the orders should be combined, which would make it the world's biggest fighter jet order in play.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who plans to spend $250 billion in the coming years on defense equipment from fighter jets to guns and helmets, wants India and local companies to get a share of the deals it enters into by calling on foreign manufacturers to make products locally. Boeing, Lockheed Martin Corp. and others have said they will produce in India if they win contracts large enough to make investments worthwhile.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/boeing-in-talks-with-navy-to-sell-f/a-18-fighter-jets/articleshow/62791053.cms