Navy SEALs set to open to women, top admiral says | World Defense

Navy SEALs set to open to women, top admiral says

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA

The Navy is planning to open its elite SEAL teams to women who can pass the grueling training regimen, the service's top officer said Tuesday in an exclusive interview.

Adm. Jon Greenert said he and the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, Rear Adm. Brian Losey, believe that if women can pass the legendary six-month Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training, they should be allowed to serve.

"Why shouldn't anybody who can meet these [standards] be accepted? And the answer is, there is no reason," Greenert said Tuesday in an exclusive interview with Navy Times' sister publication Defense News. "So we're on a track to say, 'Hey look, anybody who can meet the gender non-specific standards, then you can become a SEAL.'"

The push to integrate the storied SEAL brotherhood is coming on the heels of a comprehensive review led by Losey, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, that recommended women be allowed under the same exacting standards required of male candidates. Final approval is still pending. The Army and Air Force are also moving to open all combat jobs to women, according to officials who spoke to the Associated Press. It's believed the Marine Corps may seek to keep its ground combat jobs, including the infantry, male-only.

The move to integrate the military's most storied commando units comes the day after news broke that two women had passed the Army's arduous Ranger course. Nineteen women began the course, which has about a 45 percent passing rate.

The Navy has said it is on track to open all ratings to women by next year, but this is the first indication that the SEALs are leaning toward accepting candidates. Greenert didn't specify a timeline for allowing women candidates into BUD/S training.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I would be really surprised to see a woman pass their required training. What you see on TV and what is glorified in GI Jane is nothing compared to the real thing. Women are physically smaller and not as strong as men are. I assume they will not hold back on her and will not give her any easy ways outs. Good luck to all the ladies that think they can pull off the "GI JANE". It is a fictional movie.

I wonder why your comment is a discrimination of gender. My cousin had studied in the police academy and had experienced the hardship of the training - no barriers, male or female undergo the same physical training activities. She is now with the police force as a lieutenant. With the navy seals, I don't see any barrier for a female to be in there since male or female, they have the same strength.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I would be really surprised to see a woman pass their required training. What you see on TV and what is glorified in GI Jane is nothing compared to the real thing. Women are physically smaller and not as strong as men are. I assume they will not hold back on her and will not give her any easy ways outs. Good luck to all the ladies that think they can pull off the "GI JANE". It is a fictional movie.
I have met women who were quite fit and strong. I think there are a lot of women who aren't cut out for it. But it should be judged on an individual basis. They should not not give the women the disadvantage as the disservice of "holding back and taking it easy on them." But if a woman can pull it off, (which I'm sure a number of them can), they should be allowed to.

Keep in mind, Demi Moore is as representative of the typical female soldier, as a supermodel is representative of a typical woman.

GI Jane is fictional, but when you express that opinion to the wrong woman, the ass kicking you get won't be fictional! lol

BTW, that isn't a threat because I'm not one of the women who could kick your ass, so you're safe lol

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
It's good US Armed Forces finally open slowly to woman. It started to be a shame, seriously.
Given how some mans can be weak, I think that anyone in the army can handle any woman who is week as well - and make her discouraged to do anything military, or push it to get out the best of herself. Sergent Drills aren't stupid, I guess they will take care of it correctly.

The next problem would be the lack of more suitable things for women. That could be about dress, long hair handling (I guess, as for men, hair will be cut), or anything that was done only with men in mind that's no longer valid. Much like military doesn't seem so much suited for left-handed people.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I'm just being honest and stating the obvious. Women are physically weaker then men, and GI JANE is fiction. Nothing I said was misleading or derogatory.
I get that. I'm just somewhat disagreeing with you. Typically, women are weaker, physically, than men. Men are less graceful, agile, flexible, and have less dexterity than women, typically. But you will always find that one man who is the better in Swan Lake than any of the women. At the same time, you'll find women who could bench press Micheal Clark Duncan without breaking a nail. Opening it up to women, unless they do take it easy on them, will weed the girly girls out right off the bat. And in the end you'll be left with a woman who is a really big asset to the Seals... a woman who has a lot to offer the team.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I do think it's a rare person who could pass either training, and I don't care who passes, as long as the standards are the same, and aren't lowered so that less qualified candidates can pass. I didn't agree with the lowering of standards for firefighters and police, because I feel that a certain standard is necessary in the line of these types of positions. I think in those cases, the standards should have remained the same, as long as they weren't created for the purpose of discrimination, such as, for example, requiring that every candidate be 6'2" tall (I made that up, but have heard of similar requirements in the past), and I certainly hope that those who are considered to be our elite are held to the highest standards.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I do think it's a rare person who could pass either training, and I don't care who passes, as long as the standards are the same, and aren't lowered so that less qualified candidates can pass. I didn't agree with the lowering of standards for firefighters and police, because I feel that a certain standard is necessary in the line of these types of positions. I think in those cases, the standards should have remained the same, as long as they weren't created for the purpose of discrimination, such as, for example, requiring that every candidate be 6'2" tall (I made that up, but have heard of similar requirements in the past), and I certainly hope that those who are considered to be our elite are held to the highest standards.
I totally agree! When they lower the standards all they're doing to is sending her out unprepared. They set the standards for a reason. Anyway, any woman who goes out for the seals is probably not the kind of woman who wants or needs to get slack.

eveliner

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I wonder why your comment is a discrimination of gender. My cousin had studied in the police academy and had experienced the hardship of the training - no barriers, male or female undergo the same physical training activities. She is now with the police force as a lieutenant. With the navy seals, I don't see any barrier for a female to be in there since male or female, they have the same strength.

Let's not be offended here and rush on unfounded arguments. It's not like he's spreading misinformation. It would've probably been better if he had said that most women don't have the necessary physical skills as opposed to "every single one of them", but that's another kettle of fish and really subtle if you ask me. I completely agree with him on this matter, as I've read between the lines and managed to understand the essence. This decision of accepting women as well will be looked upon positively by the majority, but the practical part of women actually joining... well, I don't really know about that much.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA

The Navy is planning to open its elite SEAL teams to women who can pass the grueling training regimen, the service's top officer said Tuesday in an exclusive interview.

Adm. Jon Greenert said he and the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, Rear Adm. Brian Losey, believe that if women can pass the legendary six-month Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training, they should be allowed to serve.

"Why shouldn't anybody who can meet these [standards] be accepted? And the answer is, there is no reason," Greenert said Tuesday in an exclusive interview with Navy Times' sister publication Defense News. "So we're on a track to say, 'Hey look, anybody who can meet the gender non-specific standards, then you can become a SEAL.'"

The push to integrate the storied SEAL brotherhood is coming on the heels of a comprehensive review led by Losey, the head of Naval Special Warfare Command, that recommended women be allowed under the same exacting standards required of male candidates. Final approval is still pending. The Army and Air Force are also moving to open all combat jobs to women, according to officials who spoke to the Associated Press. It's believed the Marine Corps may seek to keep its ground combat jobs, including the infantry, male-only.

The move to integrate the military's most storied commando units comes the day after news broke that two women had passed the Army's arduous Ranger course. Nineteen women began the course, which has about a 45 percent passing rate.

The Navy has said it is on track to open all ratings to women by next year, but this is the first indication that the SEALs are leaning toward accepting candidates. Greenert didn't specify a timeline for allowing women candidates into BUD/S training.
Yes, well it was just a matter of time since women passed the test to become rangers. It is one of the things that the navy must do to follow suit. I think if they are capable of doing the work and passing the fitness requirements they should be allowed to be rangers or seals. It is only fair don't you think? The whole thing reminds me of GI Jane.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Check your original reply, that has been edited. It went from "you would get you ass kicked", to now saying I "somewhat disagree with you". That seems to be a strong tone compared to now "I somewhat disagree with you". Read what I said careful and take of the gender inequality goggles that you had on. You were so ready to throw me under the bus from your strong convictions about feminism.

Men and women by right should have the same opportunities as men. Naturally they are not physically stronger then men as a whole. There are certain physical standards that come with special operatives, such as the Army Rangers and Navy Seals. If they can pass the requirements and not quit, then they should be honored for that. They didn't keep them out because of gender inequality all this time. It's called war time and the harsh reality of it is being hindered by the, b*llshit of having separate sleeping quarters, different sleeping arrangements. It is much easier to have a cohesive unit on the ground and not worry about fraternizing among the group. They are a special elite group that needs to be on point and not physically and emotionally compromised when females are involved. It is an extra stimuli and variable that should not be included in operations in such a high level, but then feminism comes into play and the Military gives into it. It is not about gender inequality. It is about getting the job done the best way we can but stripping off all emotional ties and hindrance.

Their have been women on submarines that have been removed because they ended up getting pregnant while on board. That is the kind of things that cannot happen when a second or two means the life of another person.
my feelings on the matter haven't changed at all. You wanting to be argumentative, and finding nit picky reasons to start some BS with me just has me a little more annoyed than I was before. The "somewhat" was an attempt to be nice without being condescending. You should have just left it alone. I didn't say you would get your ass kicked because I wanted it to happen. At THAT time your misogyny was just a little irritating, like a mosquito. I'm saying that these women that are "weaker than men" will seriously kick your ass if you shared that opinion with them... just to find out who is weaker. I don't give a shit about your opinion regarding these women. I already know they could kick my ass.

axiom_low

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Canada
So long as the recruits can do what is required of them, I don't see why the gender matters. The important thing is that standards remain the same. Letting someone slip by will lead to horrible consequences.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, well it was just a matter of time since women passed the test to become rangers. It is one of the things that the navy must do to follow suit. I think if they are capable of doing the work and passing the fitness requirements they should be allowed to be rangers or seals.
By the way the two female rangers who graduated from ranger school can not serve by the fellow rangers in actual combat yet. It most likely will take a while before combat roles are opened up.

As for the Navy's readiness to allow women into their elite unit, they haven't yet set a date for it. Who knows how long it will take. A year? Maybe longer?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
So long as the recruits can do what is required of them, I don't see why the gender matters. The important thing is that standards remain the same. Letting someone slip by will lead to horrible consequences.
I agree! Cutting a female some slack is sending her out unprepared. She won't be as equipped as necessary to protect herself or the rest of her team. If women are so much weaker than men, they won't make it through the training, anyway. I don't see how this isn't a win/win.