North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions | Page 4 | World Defense

North & South Korea News, Updates & Discussions

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Adding more sanctions isn't going to work with N.Korea, because N.Korea is already a nuclear power and has a strong missile capabilities. Sanctions will harm the development and living standard, but it won't harm their military programs and I'm sure they're getting help from China.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
North Korea again showed its antics by firing two medium-range ballistic missiles, the latest in a string of provocative acts from the reclusive regime. The UN security council condemned that test-firing as a clear violation of UN Security Council resolutions. The latest missile launches underscored the importance of implementing the new sanctions resolution US Ambassador Samantha Power said.

“If anybody on the council needed a reminder of why that resolution is so important (…) the North Korean regime just provided another one,” Power said.

Read more at UN condemns North Korea’s ‘unacceptable’ missile tests | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

I think sanctions do work but in North Korea's case a better version of the embargo needs to be put in place because supplies are still pouring in from China. And as long as supplies last, North Korea is not going to even think about coming to the discussion table.

Also I think a lot of what Kim Jong Un says is directed towards his own people. Meaning that when he threatens the US, all he's doing is blaming his country's problems on the US. This way anything bad that happens in the country is somehow America's fault and anything good that happens is by the "grace" of Kim.

Last edited:

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
North Korea seems to do this every time they want or need something, be it resources or more attention with a me-too type of outlook upon them. More sanctions only hurts the people there. Although they do pose an increasing threat in some ways, they are one of the only countries in the world who are not affiliated with the Federal Reserve in some way. It's almost as if China is their manager and are to keep them under control while supporting them mutually? It's a very odd relationship.

I would like to say that North Korea isn't a threat, but they have changed a lot since the transition from Kim Jong Il II to Kim Jong Un. Many of these changes are based on adaptations to American policy and strategy which he learned well while attending school in the US right under the nose of American leadership without anyone knowing about it or being the wiser to return him to North Korea or place him somewhere else near to but outside of the US, such as Canada.

I simultaneously respect yet disapprove of the actions in North Korea, and all I see is a heavy-handed regime using and abusing the people even worse than the US and others do covertly. If something must be done, I hope that China will step up to the plate to do it with their good relations and closeness, since any other nation attempting to do so would likely mean war.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Well, I didn't know he received education in the US. If that is the case, then he knows way too much about America than Americans know about him. That is an advantage , although I have no idea how he is likely to utilize that advantage.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
North Korea Conducts Land Test of Sub-Launched Missile

North Korea conducted a ground-test last week of its new KN-11 submarine-launched ballistic missile amid heightened tensions on the Korean peninsula, defense officials said.

The missile test March 16 involved a “pop-up” or “ejection test” of the developmental SLBM from a canister ashore at the Sinpo shipyard, located on North Korea’s east coast where the KN-11 is being developed along with the Gorae-class missile-firing submarine.

It was the second recent test of this sort, following a Dec. 21 ejection test, and was the first SLBM test since the United Nations imposed tougher sanctions on Pyongyang.

At the Pentagon, spokesman Cmdr. Bill Urban said: “We’re not going to comment on matters of intelligence.”

The test appears to violate a recent UN Security Council resolution, No. 2277, which on March 5 tightened economic sanctions on North Korea in an effort to block development of nuclear arms and nuclear missiles.

The new resolution states that a 2015 SLBM missile ejection test violated earlier UN resolutions aimed at curbing both nuclear and missile programs sponsored by the Pyongyang regime.

“All such ballistic missile activities contribute to [North Korea’s] development of nuclear weapons delivery systems and increase tension in the region and beyond,” the resolution says.

The earlier ejection test was first reported by the Washington Free Beacon on Jan. 5.

The new UN resolution followed North Korea’s underground nuclear test on Jan. 6 and missile test on Feb. 7.

North Korea attempted an underwater flight test of the new KN-11 on Nov. 28 that severely damaged the launching submarine. Officials said the Gorae sailed back into Sinpo from a position in the Sea of Japan listing at a 40-degree angle as a result of internal damage from the failed SLBM launch.

Disclosure of the SLBM test comes as North Korea on Monday fired five short-range ballistic missiles and has threatened to conduct further nuclear and long-range missile tests in defiance of international pressure.

Urban, the Pentagon spokesman, said five short-range ballistic missiles were fired in the latest missile test firing by North Korea.

“We closely monitor North Korean military activities and the situation on the Korean Peninsula,” Urban said. “Launches using ballistic missile technology are a clear violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions. We call on North Korea to refrain from actions that further raise tensions in the region and focus instead on taking concrete steps toward fulfilling its international commitments and obligations,” he said.

South Korean media said the five missiles were launched near the city of Hamhung and flew about 124 miles into the sea.

North Korea has been steadily escalating military provocations in response to the new UN sanctions and in response to large-scale U.S. and South Korean military exercises now underway in South Korea.

South Korean President Park Geun-hye also warned Monday that Pyongyang could carry out additional military provocations and urged the country to remain vigilant. “Now is a very crucial time for the future of the Korean Peninsula,” she said during a meeting with aides at the presidential office in Seoul.

North Korea’s dictator Kim Jong Un vowed in recent days that his country would soon conduct a nuclear warhead test blast and fire several kinds of ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Two days after last week’s SLBM ejection test, North Korea fired two medium-range Nodong ballistic missiles. The road mobile Nodongs were fired from the country’s east coast, and one traveled about 500 miles before falling into the sea. The second missile blew up in flight.

U.S. military and civilian intelligence agencies have stepped up monitoring of North Korea in anticipation of further provocations.

Among the possible coming provocations, according to defense officials, are North’s Korea’s first flight tests of either the KN-08 road-mobile intercontinental ballistic missile, or the new intermediate-range Musudan missile. Both missiles have been fully developed but have not been flight tested.

There are also indications the North may conduct another underground nuclear test.

“There are a lot of signs that something is going to happen,” one official said.

Japan’s Fuji television reported Friday that a U.S. Air Force Cobra Ball reconnaissance aircraft was deployed to Kadena Air Base on Okinawa as part of stepped up monitoring of North Korean missile launches.

The Pentagon’s most recent annual report on the North Korean military said the rogue nation’s development of SLBMs aims at creating multiple delivery systems for nuclear weapons.

“North Korea’s pursuit of a submarine-launched ballistic missile capability also highlights the regime’s commitment to diversifying its missile force, strengthening the missile force’s survivability, and finding new ways to coerce its neighbors,” the report said.

In addition to the SLBM, North Korea’s long-range nuclear-capable missiles include the Taepodong-2 and the KN-08.

“The KN-08, an IRBM, and an SLBM have not been flight-tested and their current reliability as weapon systems would be low,” the Pentagon said.

The report said North Korea attempted a flight test of its SLBM in November “but it ended in failure.”

“North Korea is committed to developing a long-range, nuclear-armed missile that is capable of posing a direct threat to the United States,” the report said.

Defense officials said the development of the KN-11 SLBM remains a high-priority missile development program and the weapon could be fielded in the next two years.

A Washington research institute, 38 North, published satellite photographs last week revealing continued work at Sinpo on both the KN-11 and the Gorae.

The photos indicate that a removable tower was moved to a test stand capable of supporting a rocket engine, missile or launch tube and then later removed. A report said the test stand is a sign that North Korea could “quickly conduct a pop-up test” of a missile.

The report said unspecified work on the Gorae submarine over the past two months was completed.

North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong Un was photographed by state-run media on Sunday observing large-scale North Korean military exercises.

Last week, North Korean media showed Kim with a metal sphere—purportedly a missile-sized nuclear warhead. He was also photographed at a test of a metal shield that would reportedly be used to protect nuclear warheads from the heat of reentry into the atmosphere after launch through space on a ballistic missile.

North Korea Conducts Land-Test of Sub-Launched Missile

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I also don't think sanctions that the west impose on any country and especially North Korea are doing any good either to be honest.

The countries that have these sanctions imposed in the first place don't care what we think, and they may state on the record that they are unfair and are causing that country and its people to struggle, off the record I don't think they could care less what restrictions we impose, because at the end of the day, it's not that countries hierarchy that suffers, it's the everyday working people that have to do without.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
We are leaning towards third world war and no one can change that. North Korea is just doing some sort of crazy tactics. I read some comments about uncertainty of their action. How about the U.S action. How dangerous are they and how deadly? How many missiles do they/you have and how many does North Korea have? How many tested and so on. I know that most people in the U.S. live with strong belief that their country is a world peace maker but the reality is they are the main the reason for wars and problems. So worrying about North Korea and saying that they went berserk is hypocritical and dumb.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
That's an interesting and informative article. It has a lot more detail than I see from articles posted here in the U.S., with regard to specifics of the capabilities of their current technology. I find it laughable that they mention threats of war from the United States, because it's very unlikely we would strike them without provocation, yet they seem to enjoy pushing toward that direction. No one I know wants to go to war with anyone, let alone North Korea, and the country could probably put its money to better use in building up and modernizing the country, for the betterment of those living there.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
There goes the North again, reminding the world of their potential military might. I think if they keep at it one day they will realize that dream. I don't know if they will have the courage to fire a real one on any country, but I'm sure they're going to be beaten down harshly by bigger countries don't want the balance disrupted.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Seoul says North Korean missile launch apparently fails

South Korean and US defense officials said today that a North Korean launch of a missile on the birthday of its revered founder appears to have failed. It is an embarrassing failure, as confirmed by the officials who provided few details of the failed launch. A recent surge in belligerent threats and nuclear and missile activity in the North may also be linked to leader Kim Jong Un's preparations for a major ruling party meeting next month.

For details - Seoul says North Korean missile launch apparently fails | World, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
A missle hitting the US west coast would cause massive damage, but the return hit would end North Korea. In addition, it might escalate into war with China and Russia. Unfortunately, they might eventually be able to accomplish this scary dream. Hopefully, the US will be able to forge new relations with the nation before such a scenario comes to pass.

Last edited:

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
So North Korea's regime is very rocky at the moment with the world not giving in as much.

What do you think will be the final act that'll change the current leadership?
* An internal takeover or coupe
* Intervention by China
* The South and the US taking action
* General rise up of the population

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This morning in the news on tv, I saw the footage of the North Korean leader with his army behind him. Pardon me for this comment but President Kim Jong Un does not earn my respect for he doesn't look respectable unlike other world leaders. I wonder what kind of generals North Korea has because it seems to me that they are cowards as to obey their leader who just inherited the throne from his father and grandfather.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
This morning in the news on tv, I saw the footage of the North Korean leader with his army behind him. Pardon me for this comment but President Kim Jong Un does not earn my respect for he doesn't look respectable unlike other world leaders. I wonder what kind of generals North Korea has because it seems to me that they are cowards as to obey their leader who just inherited the throne from his father and grandfather.

Exactly, blood doesn't give you any right to power.
Ability and goals should....unfortunately it's hard to change the rules while they're in power :)