Orlando shooting: 50 killed, shooter pledged ISIS allegiance | World Defense

Orlando shooting: 50 killed, shooter pledged ISIS allegiance

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Orlando shooting: 50 killed, shooter pledged ISIS allegiance

Orlando, Florida (CNN)An American-born man who'd pledged allegiance to ISIS gunned down 50 people early Sunday at a gay nightclub in Orlando, the deadliest mass shooting in the United States and the nation's worst terror attack since 9/11, authorities said.

* The gunman, Omar Mateen, 29, of Fort Pierce, Florida, was interviewed by the FBI in 2013 and 2014 but was not found to be a threat, the FBI said.
* Mateen called 911 during the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Boston Marathon bombers, according to a U.S. official.
* Orlando police shot and killed Mateen.
* Mateen's ex-wife said she thinks he was mentally ill.
Mateen carried an assault rifle and a pistol into the packed Pulse club about 2 a.m. Sunday and started shooting, killing 50 people and wounding at least 53, police said.
After a standoff of about three hours, while people trapped inside the club desperately called and messaged friends and relatives, police crashed into the building with an armored vehicle and stun grenadesand killed Mateen.
"It appears he was organized and well-prepared," Orlando Police Chief John Mina said early Sunday. Authorities said they haven't found any accomplices.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
May they rest in peace.

identityissues8

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Somalia
As per the above.
Disgusting act, but so long as the USA hangs onto the 'right' to bare arms these things will continue to be commonplace - as they have been for such a very long time.
The primary function of a gun is to kill...The secondary is to look badass... So...

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
All the debates I had about gun control and so called gun society in the U.S. I had because I am a hater and I do not understand how they feel about it. This is just terrible acting and it really doesn't matter if the guy was ISIS or not. The fact is 50 people died and that is it. Nothing will ever change and I truly believe that there is something wrong with people in the States. Not all of them but majority, yes. I am just connecting the dots here. These things happen very often there and whether you like it or not it is closely connected with the fact that you have a gun control problem.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
As per the above.
Disgusting act, but so long as the USA hangs onto the 'right' to bare arms these things will continue to be commonplace - as they have been for such a very long time.
The primary function of a gun is to kill...The secondary is to look badass... So...

Sorry, but disagree with you. This person chose to lash out at society for whatever personal frustrations he had...it's not established yet if motive was purely political. Anger will be directed at Muslims though, so Muslims need to deal with it effectively. Some ways...:

1. No need to try asserting Islam doesn't encourage violence, ideologies of the whole world see violence as solution to some problems, and Islam is no different
2. Avoid theological discussion
3. Don't try tying this to past events, or pointing out that coverage is bias. Yes, coverage may be bias, it's a phase Muslims are going through, that other people in the world went through before too. Just accept that Muslims are the current scapegoat, react effectively.
4. Don't blame overseas conflicts, that is separate topic and not related to domestic mass shootings. Doing it this way, allows you to gain credibility on overseas debates.
5. If you want to influence foreign policy, become foreign policy experts and expert analysts for ME current events, religious and political situation. Otherwise there's no other way you can influence Western public opinion if your voice isn't heard.
6. Avoid analyzing things from perspectives of Muslim community as a whole, that has no place in professional scene. If you are studying one subject, it's focus will be on a certain region, regardless of the cultures/religions of inhabitants there.
7. Muslims that migrate to West and raise children there, need to make sure their children don't experience identity issues by not allowing them to integrate into modern teen culture. Which yes, people from East consider immoral, but if you want them to avoid 'immorality', don't raise kids there in the first place. Otherwise they have flawed worldview and deal with identity issues.
8. Don't have victim mentality even if you're victim, situation is not that bad, man up and get yourselves out of the hole you were dug in. By logical and reasonable approach.

Those are just some points, which Muslims won't take heed for. They do the opposite of all of this. Of course, this isn't role of religious scholars or general Muslim public to play. Religious scholars purpose is to teach religion of Islam to Muslims. Leadership and guidance is for other people. But you never find these roles among the Muslim community in the US, because they focus too much on religion, personal betterment, and dawah(preaching Islam and converting others). As long as priorities don't change, then perceptions won't either.

Those are my two cents, and RIP to the victims.