Pakistan Gets F16 -Blk70/72 | Page 4 | World Defense

Pakistan Gets F16 -Blk70/72

PewPew

Reactions
309 9 0
Country
Pakistan
If accurate, my main concern with these off-the-shelf purchases would be that it'll take money/resources away from Project Azm. It seems a FGFA is still a ways out for the PAF unfortunately.

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan
If accurate, my main concern with these off-the-shelf purchases would be that it'll take money/resources away from Project Azm. It seems a FGFA is still a ways out for the PAF unfortunately.
It has to be a balance act between Azm and the current requirement.

PewPew

Reactions
309 9 0
Country
Pakistan
It has to be a balance act between Azm and the current requirement.
I agree, but I really do wish we invested in projects such as the Marlin BVRAAM, A-Darter HOBS AAM, and others to give us a both a secured line of AAMs as well as a technology base to develop them through the long-term. With the Russians or Americans, the expectation is to basically buy their missiles, which takes away from a domestic development drive. But there's hope: if we can use JF-17 as the starting point, we should prioritize JVs with South Africa and/or Turkey across BVRAAM, HOBS AAM, AShM, PGB, SOW, ALCM, ARM, etc.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
My understanding - Project Azm is 5th Gen. Till it is inducted, what do you do?

PewPew

Reactions
309 9 0
Country
Pakistan
My understanding - Project Azm is 5th Gen. Till it is inducted, what do you do?
IMO ... double down on JF-17. Add more Block-3s or future variants. And if possible, buy surplus/used F-16s and upgrade them to V-standards. Now, if there's a cost to upgrading those F-16s other than the price, like buying a batch of new ones, then I understand why purchasing a new batch matters.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Why not PAC or TAI?
I googled "Khafee Senior Mod" and became a member (my first post here)
Things with Turkey are not going so well, as evident by how the F35 saga unfolded.

PAC "as of now" does not have the capability, but the real question is "will the US give that capability"?

I mentioned Norway, because of this:

OSLO, March 12, 2019 – AIM Norway and Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) signed a historic agreement to jointly establish the world’s first Lockheed Martin-licensed F-16 ‘Falcon Depot’ center for the Royal Norwegian Air Force (RNoAF) and other regional F-16 customers. The facility will be located in Kjeller, Norway, at an existing maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility used by the RNoAF.

AIM Norway offers decades of F-16 sustainment knowledge that can benefit F-16 customers across the globe by leveraging AIM’s extensive technical expertise and capabilities. Lockheed Martin, the original equipment manufacturer and design authority of the F-16, is leveraging AIM’s extensive technical expertise and MRO experience to support the Royal Norwegian Air Force, regional customers and the global F-16 fleet.

“Lockheed Martin is extremely proud of our longstanding relationship with AIM Norway and Norway,” said Susan Ouzts, vice president of Lockheed Martin's F-16 Program. “This first-of-its-kind Falcon Depot Center reflects the strong global demand for F-16 sustainment services, which is poised to grow as we continue to produce new F-16s and upgrade existing aircraft.”

Lockheed Martin continues to grow its F-16 customer base and sees new F-16 production opportunities totaling more than 400 aircraft. There are approximately 3,000 operational F-16s in service today with 25 countries.

"AIM Norway is extremely proud that Lockheed Martin recognizes our experienced personnel, competence and capabilities. Together we will ensure continued success and readiness for existing and new F-16 operators," said Ove Haukåssveen, CEO of AIM Norway.

AIM Norway is also expanding its footprint and capabilities in Norway. The F-35 Joint Program Office selected Rygge Air Base, Norway, as an F135 engine MRO&U center. The RNoAF currently has nine F-35s in country and Norway’s F-35 fleet is expected to grow to 52 aircraft.