Pakistan Gets F16 -Blk70/72 | Page 136 | World Defense

Pakistan Gets F16 -Blk70/72

Pakhtoon yum

Reactions
2,107 44 0
Country
Pakistan
The best scenario remains that we upgrade our existing fleet to Block 70 standard... it will be a rather quick job possible within a year or two. Turks can help us do the job quickly. I know for sure Pakistan is very hesitant to send their F16s to the US because of the fear of embargo.
But the million dollar question is why would Americans in deep economic trouble and bad relationship with Turks will allow any such modifications to take place there ....

that means we must send planes to the USA and that it self is a scary thought....
What about Israel?

§§•

Mingle

Reactions
1,813 8 0
Country
Pakistan
New ones. Right now, on the EDA not sure how the upgrades will go.
American industry gone to war footing like world 2 so no contract for TAI for upgrades if PAF smart request establish MRO and can do Upgrades by American at PAC. If all gone to US mainland then Grummans will do upgrade at US suits to them but my hunch if upgradations happens in Pak will happen at Jacobabad facility developed by American and housing F16s only

Last edited:

space cadet

Reactions
773 15 0
Country
USA
I would imagine that any serious upgrade would happen in the US, along side EDA birds. Don't forget, they slow production lines when they need to , and can ramp them up at anytime, This goes for F15 production also, I think the only production that can't keep up is F35 production, I believe that is because of so many partner nations

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
60+ is for Blk70? If yes it's an ideal number.
American industry gone to war footing like world 2 so no contract for TAI for upgrades if PAF smart request establish MRO and can do Upgrades by American at PAC. If all gone to US mainland then Grummans will do upgrade at US suits to them but my hunch if upgradations happens in Pak will happen at Jacobabad facility developed by American and housing F16s only
Lockheed Martin

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I wonder what will Pakistan decide to buy from three items available. With a contract ceiling of $475 million is it a first come first serve policy? Last I checked Sniper pods are not cheap. Also so we even use IRST 21?

Lockheed Martin wins $485m multi-country airborne sensor contract
By Garrett Reim21 May 2020

Lockheed Martin won a contract to sell its Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) and two other sensors to two dozen countries and US military services – a deal worth up to $485 million.
The US Air Force (USAF) granted the company the indefinite-delivery, indefinite-quantity contract (IDIQ), which has a $485 million ceiling, via the Foreign Military Sales process.
As well as to potential sales to US military services, the contract enables purchases of airborne sensors from Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, Greece, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey, the US Department of Defense says in an online notice posted on 18 May.
US Air Force F-16 with Sniper pod

Source: Lockheed Martin
In addition to the Sniper ATP, the award allows Lockheed Martin to sell its Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night Extended Range (LANTIRN ER) sensor and Infrared Search and Track 21 (IRST21) to the foreign militaries on an on-demand basis for five years. There is no guarantee the countries will purchase the sensors.
The Pentagon is using the flexibility of the IDIQ contract to accelerate business for Lockheed Martin, as part of a wider effort to bolster the US military-industrial base during the coronavirus-caused economic recession.
“We’re pleased to offer these three sensors products in an IDIQ contract for the first time,” says Kenen Nelson, Lockheed Martin missiles and fire control fixed-wing programme director. “Implementing more products on an IDIQ allows us to supply our customer with the capabilities they need faster.”
Sniper ATP is used to detect, identify, automatically track and laser-designate small tactical ground targets at long ranges. It is qualified on the Mitsubishi F-2, Boeing F-15, Lockheed Martin F-16, Boeing F/A-18, Fairchild Republic A-10, Rockwell B-1, Boeing B-52, BAE Systems Harrier and Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft.
The LANTIRN ER pod is for low-altitude navigation and aiming at ground targets in day or night. The pod relies on thermal imaging and with terrain-following radar. The sensor is qualified on the USAF Boeing F-15E and international F-15 and F-16 versions.
The IRST21 is for passively detecting, tracking and targeting enemy aircraft, in particular in situations where using radar would reveal a fighter’s location. The sensor system uses infrared search-and-track to find engine heat from adversarial aircraft. It can be mounted on the nose of the F/A-18E/F’s centerline fuel tank, or as part of Lockheed Martin’s Legion Pod multiple-sensor system, which is carried underneath F-15s and F-16s.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I wonder what will Pakistan decide to buy from three items available. With a contract ceiling of $475 million is it a first come first serve policy? Last I checked Sniper pods are not cheap. Also so we even use IRST 21?

Lockheed Martin wins $485m multi-country airborne sensor contract
By Garrett Reim21 May 2020

Lockheed Martin won a contract to sell its Sniper Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) and two other sensors to two dozen countries and US military services – a deal worth up to $485 million.
The US Air Force (USAF) granted the company the indefinite-delivery, indefinite-quantity contract (IDIQ), which has a $485 million ceiling, via the Foreign Military Sales process.
As well as to potential sales to US military services, the contract enables purchases of airborne sensors from Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, Greece, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey, the US Department of Defense says in an online notice posted on 18 May.

Source: Lockheed Martin
In addition to the Sniper ATP, the award allows Lockheed Martin to sell its Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night Extended Range (LANTIRN ER) sensor and Infrared Search and Track 21 (IRST21) to the foreign militaries on an on-demand basis for five years. There is no guarantee the countries will purchase the sensors.
The Pentagon is using the flexibility of the IDIQ contract to accelerate business for Lockheed Martin, as part of a wider effort to bolster the US military-industrial base during the coronavirus-caused economic recession.
“We’re pleased to offer these three sensors products in an IDIQ contract for the first time,” says Kenen Nelson, Lockheed Martin missiles and fire control fixed-wing programme director. “Implementing more products on an IDIQ allows us to supply our customer with the capabilities they need faster.”
Sniper ATP is used to detect, identify, automatically track and laser-designate small tactical ground targets at long ranges. It is qualified on the Mitsubishi F-2, Boeing F-15, Lockheed Martin F-16, Boeing F/A-18, Fairchild Republic A-10, Rockwell B-1, Boeing B-52, BAE Systems Harrier and Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft.
The LANTIRN ER pod is for low-altitude navigation and aiming at ground targets in day or night. The pod relies on thermal imaging and with terrain-following radar. The sensor is qualified on the USAF Boeing F-15E and international F-15 and F-16 versions.
The IRST21 is for passively detecting, tracking and targeting enemy aircraft, in particular in situations where using radar would reveal a fighter’s location. The sensor system uses infrared search-and-track to find engine heat from adversarial aircraft. It can be mounted on the nose of the F/A-18E/F’s centerline fuel tank, or as part of Lockheed Martin’s Legion Pod multiple-sensor system, which is carried underneath F-15s and F-16s.
So Jannati, how many IRST21 is PAF getting? (:-)

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I could be wrong but I don’t think our F 16s have this capability . If you buy this , which we should because Rafael and Su are already using this technology, what about the integration?

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
I could be wrong but I don’t think our F 16s have this capability . If you buy this , which we should because Rafael and Su are already using this technology, what about the integration?
PAF doesn't, but it will IA. What I wnat to know is how many from this particular order?