Police departments with military weapons | Page 2 | World Defense

Police departments with military weapons

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
There was this huge controversy for this topic at my school a few months back when we learned that the University Police at SUNY (State University of New York) at Oneonta were issued military grade weapons. Or so I was told. I am not one hundred percent positive about this. Is that really necessary? Are a bunch of college students so dangerous that you need military grade weapons to tame us?

skipper

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
There was this huge controversy for this topic at my school a few months back when we learned that the University Police at SUNY (State University of New York) at Oneonta were issued military grade weapons. Or so I was told. I am not one hundred percent positive about this. Is that really necessary? Are a bunch of college students so dangerous that you need military grade weapons to tame us?

Probably not, but I don't know that it matters, considering that they applied for the weaponry allegedly to deal with active shooters in a Virginia Tech-like incident.

Feds arm SUNY police for 'active shooter response' | Capital New York

Anyone can argue the merit of that, but I think there's a difference between asking for greater firepower for a "poo hits the fan" situation vs for the fun of it. Not quite sure how the Humvee fits into that, but eh.

starburstlateral

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Ireland
The police force in Ireland are unarmed and bereft of any real "force", I know it's not really a contribution to the thread, but judging by the violence and aggression I see and read about towards the American police, I'd be hard-pressed to not understand armament.

Though weapons that are used by the military should stay with the military. M14's have no place on the suburbs. At least not yet.

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Probably not, but I don't know that it matters, considering that they applied for the weaponry allegedly to deal with active shooters in a Virginia Tech-like incident.

Feds arm SUNY police for 'active shooter response' | Capital New York

Anyone can argue the merit of that, but I think there's a difference between asking for greater firepower for a "poo hits the fan" situation vs for the fun of it. Not quite sure how the Humvee fits into that, but eh.

Considering that this is where I go to school and it's where I live for the majority of the year, as well as knowing how many of the police officers on and around the campus in town are complete and utter idiots, it's very uncomfortable for me to know that they have access to such high military grade weapons, no matter what the reason is behind it.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Haven't most of the police in the USA had military grade weapons since the 1990s? And quite frankly, in the USA it seems to be necessary nowadays. As long as the police officers are properly trained, I don't really see a problem. It's just that in the USA they have weird ways of doing things... this is not to put blame on the cops but apparently in 2014 more bullets were used in the USA per one suspect killed than what the whole German police force used (against people) during the whole year.

mylindaelliott

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I was reading an article about war gear being sent to police departments across the country. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing. I think this could be a warning sign that something major is about to go down on our own soil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/us/war-gear-flows-to-police-departments.html?_r=0

I was surprised and disturbed that weapons were sent to the police departments to use against ordinary citizens. Although I believe every policeman needs the best protective gear we can give them including what people in war zones get I have a different opinion about weapons.

The vast majority of people protesting weren't violent or using weapons. Why would we use military weapons against them? I am just amazed at that ability. I'm also amazed that someone decided to use them. It's one thing to have them but someone actually had to decide to use them.

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Haven't most of the police in the USA had military grade weapons since the 1990s? And quite frankly, in the USA it seems to be necessary nowadays. As long as the police officers are properly trained, I don't really see a problem. It's just that in the USA they have weird ways of doing things... this is not to put blame on the cops but apparently in 2014 more bullets were used in the USA per one suspect killed than what the whole German police force used (against people) during the whole year.
I definitely don't think that it's necessary to have this grade of military weapons on a college campus! And if you've met and had to interact with the cops on my campus you would understand why I'm so concerned with them having access to these weapons at all! Plus they're never actually going to use them, so whats the point? It seems like a waste of military grade weapons, money for the school and the country, and a waste of time since everyone is constantly talking about how scared they are because these weapons are on our campus!

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
I think that it is a good thing that the police are prepared to handle whatever comes. It is always better to be prepared instead of being caught unawares. It is tough being a policeman with the high risk of the job. Even if something is going to go down, you have professionals on standby to protect you.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
I don't see a real harm in the police being better armed and if this is more cost-efficient. Those military arms most likely will only be used in case of life and death hopefully.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
I don't see it as a bad thing. Why? Because a lot of americans own a gun, so automatically, police departments need to be prepared for anything. What scares me is the poor training of the police officers. Being equiped with such powerful weapons involves a special training that I doubt they take it serious.
And then there are countries like New Zealand , as I saw @kittyworker mentioned, that are very poorly prepared for let's say special situations. In this category I can easily include my country. Here, it's a rare thing to see police officers wearing guns, and even if they wear one, it will probably jam after the first shot...

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
@rares209 Yes you are right that if there is a different or serious situation our police wouldn't be used to this and would step back and call in armed offenders squad (SWAT) or anti-terrorism (Special SWAT / National Guard). SO in a sense we are less prepared for these, although they are quite rare and i say your day to day thefts don't have as much gun-play compared to that in the states (although some stats would be interesting).

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
All I want to say is that police should be prepared for any sitoation that can happen on streets. Let's say a person in assaulted and the atacker has a knife or something like that. If an unarmed police officer would see it, what can he do to not only stop the atacker but arrest him. I think that he will run away without having to pay for his acts.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
I definitely don't think that it's necessary to have this grade of military weapons on a college campus! And if you've met and had to interact with the cops on my campus you would understand why I'm so concerned with them having access to these weapons at all! Plus they're never actually going to use them, so whats the point? It seems like a waste of military grade weapons, money for the school and the country, and a waste of time since everyone is constantly talking about how scared they are because these weapons are on our campus!

Well all I can say is that if you feel that way, then obviously the police are not exactly up to the highest standards. And in that case I do agree with you, maybe they shouldn't have access to such weapons.. But when used by properly trained people, weapons are nothing to worry about.