Acquisition of J-15 for PAF- Air Superiority & Deep Strike Platfrom | Page 53 | World Defense

Acquisition of J-15 for PAF- Air Superiority & Deep Strike Platfrom

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I remember during the second Gulf war a CAF F18 launched AAM sparrow missile at a naval boat and destroyed it.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
@Mastankhan , This, below, American Technology & ingenuity

Jeff White, Raytheon's business development manager for AIM-9X, declines to describe the modification in detail, but says it involves only software changes. The AIM-9X infrared seeker, proximity fuse and blast/fragmentation warhead remain unchanged.
Not at all surprising,

I would only appreciate them if they actually use this one In real Anti Ground ops.

Warhead is much lighter in A2A missile, A2G missiles are a bit on the heavier side when it comes to warhead.

Plus, What a waste for the Aerial controls of AAM, The fins, The Maneuvering.

Costly and not much effective or efficient

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
All I could find is this. But I clearly remember reading about it and wondering why use AAM?

Canada Remembers
January 30, 2018 ·
January 30, 1991-Canadian Armed Forces CF-18 Hornets helped knock out an Iraqi warship during the Gulf War #CanadaRemembers
The Gulf War saw Canadian warplanes take part in combat missions as part of the international coalition that went to the Middle East. Their goal was to liberate Kuwait from the Iraqi forces that had invaded and occupied it in the summer of 1990. On January 30, 1991, CF-18 Hornets attacked and heavily damaged an Iraqi patrol boat. Pictured is a pilot’s helmet in front of a Canadian CF-18 during the Gulf War. Photo: Department of National Defence
More information: Canada in the Gulf War - Canadian Armed Forces - History - Remembrance - Veterans Affairs Canada

Mastankhan

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,127 71 0
Country
Pakistan
Not at all surprising,

I would only appreciate them if they actually use this one In real Anti Ground ops.

Warhead is much lighter in A2A missile, A2G missiles are a bit on the heavier side when it comes to warhead.

Hi,

Look at it this way---. A high value target is escaping by foot or on a motorcycle and in a thin skinned vehicle---.

There are no aircraft close by in the arena---. The fighter aircraft has run out of its canon rounds and it has nothing left but a wvr air to air / surface missile left---.

The HVT is escaping in a Toyota pickup truck---or an enemy infantry is getting to a hot spot in a truck---.

These would be easy targets for the missile---. And that is the sole purpose of the missile---.

When you reach this level of sophistication in weaponry---cost is of least concern to you---.

Zeeman

Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
I understand your point.

But here I am talking strictly about Pakistan/India scenario. Pakistan unfortunately sees no value in the lives of foot soilders and the reason why they still travel in pickup trucks in enemy infested areas. To me it seems that money matters over soilders life.

Now in India Pakistan scenario, Keeping in mind close border distances and lack of air superiority on either side my question was simple:

Do we need to invest in double engine planes carrying dozens of AAM when both sides will most likely engage in quick shoot and run situation and not to hang around unnecessarily just because I still got missiles on my wings. What about the fuel , heavy SAM presence and availability of backup planes at a very short notice.

We are not going to fly over enemy territory for hours hunting planes: my question is that why two WVR and two BVR not enough to engage and then disengage. If you haven’t got the enemy after firing 5 million missiles then isnt it better to just turn and return and wait for another day.

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Not at all surprising,

Definitely it is not the optimal choice of weapon for an AGM, nothing against the point you raised, But, imagine a scenario where the Birds already in Air;
Receive the intel, the target may escape or waiting for a drone or another sortie with proper Air to ground load is not on the cards,
They can at least use it to slow the Tango down or make it immobile & pin it down until the cavalry arrives.

This is just a single scenario out of many, though you are correct saying it might not be 1st choice of weapon but it will have the job done & wont be useless.

Caprxl

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,401 66 0
Country
Pakistan
Hi,

Look at it this way---. A high value target is escaping by foot or on a motorcycle and in a thin skinned vehicle---.

There are no aircraft close by in the arena---. The fighter aircraft has run out of its canon rounds and it has nothing left but a wvr air to air / surface missile left---.

The HVT is escaping in a Toyota pickup truck---or an enemy infantry is getting to a hot spot in a truck---.

These would be easy targets for the missile---. And that is the sole purpose of the missile---.

When you reach this level of sophistication in weaponry---cost is of least concern to you---.

Well just saw your post, that is exactly what I meant.

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
But here I am talking strictly about Pakistan/India scenario. Pakistan unfortunately sees no value in the lives of foot soilders and the reason why they still travel in pickup trucks in enemy infested areas. To me it seems that money matters over soilders life.
Money is in short supply and is being spent on strategic defenses. Getting soldiers expensive APCs is moot if the enemy breaks through your air/ground defenses. Even heavy tanks then are sitting ducks. APCs are useful against insurgencies, not so much against a well-armed force. India won't be setting up IEDs and ambushes against troop movements, they will deploy heavy weaponry from long distances.

We are not going to fly over enemy territory for hours hunting planes: my question is that why two WVR and two BVR not enough to engage and then disengage. If you haven’t got the enemy after firing 5 million missiles then isnt it better to just turn and return and wait for another day.
When a pilot's missile warning system goes off, even then non-believers find God, if even for a second.
Our pilots won't fly out there specifically to shoot down aircrafts. They will be tasked with specific mission objectives. 99% of them would be ground-based targets. When they meet any of Abhinandan's friends on the radar, their job is still to fulfil mission objectives. They need to politely ask them to return home by instilling the fear of God into them. The more AAMs they have, the more times they can say "Please go home". An aircraft with 12 AAMs is now equal to 3 with 4 AAMs each. They run out of AAMs and now there's nothing left to defend the strike force against BVR-carrying fighters.
No only has the mission failed, we likely lose a few aircrafts on the way back.

CHI RULES

Reactions
281 7 0
Country
Pakistan
I understand your point.

Now in India Pakistan scenario, Keeping in mind close border distances and lack of air superiority on either side my question was simple:

Do we need to invest in double engine planes carrying dozens of AAM when both sides will most likely engage in quick shoot and run situation and not to hang around unnecessarily just because I still got missiles on my wings. What about the fuel , heavy SAM presence and availability of backup planes at a very short notice.

Sir reals scenario is the cost of AIM 9X shall be born by Saudis and Arabs so USA apart from scientific sophistication have another option i.e to squeeze money from Arabs. They can use AIM 9X for fireworks.

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan

Interesting...

I though J-15s were supposed to be an Eid present @Khafee, Ye to abhi bhi PTCL ki tarah aarahe hain:(

TomCat

Reactions
4,796 153 0
Country
Pakistan
That's like buying yourself a birthday gift and calling it a "present"
Get ready for a J-15 Naswar, I will invest in the company, Lets do some profit |0|
*Joke*