PT PAL launches first Indonesian PKR frigate, first Philippine Navy SSV | World Defense

PT PAL launches first Indonesian PKR frigate, first Philippine Navy SSV

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
PT PAL launches first Indonesian PKR frigate, first Philippine Navy SSV
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Navy International
17 January 2016
1452197_-_main.jpg

A computer-generated image of TNI-AL's SIGMA 10514 PKR frigate. Source: Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding
Key Points
  • PT PAL has launched together Indonesia's first PKR frigate and the lead Philippine SSV
  • The PKR frigate project is being closely watched as a barometer of PT PAL's capability for building more sophisticated naval platforms
Indonesian state-owned shipbuilder PT PAL has launched the first SIGMA 10514 Perusak Kawal Rudal (PKR) guided-missile frigate on order for the Indonesian Navy (Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Laut, or TNI-AL), a company representative has confirmed with IHS Jane's .

The 105 m ship was launched on 18 January at the company's Surabaya facility. The vessel is the first of two platforms being constructed jointly by Dutch shipbuilder Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS) and PT PAL under a contract signed with the Indonesian Ministry of Defence in June 2012.
PT PAL launches first Indonesian PKR frigate, first Philippine Navy SSV | IHS Jane's 360

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Is it Indonesian made?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I'm curious with this thread because it says Philippine Navy SSV. I guess that guided missile frigate is Indonesian-made and since Indonesia has no record of naval war, that PKR is just a vessel in terms of armaments, I mean not something to crow about. And considering the south China sea bickerings of the Philippines and China, maybe Indonesia would be a welcome addition to the claimants with that display of force.