Russian ‘Skynet’ to lead military robots on the battlefield | World Defense

Russian ‘Skynet’ to lead military robots on the battlefield

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Russian ‘Skynet’ to lead military robots on the battlefield — RT News

In a step towards creating independent artificial intelligence comparable to Skynet from the 'Terminator' franchise, a Russian company has successfully tested software capable of undertaking decisions and carrying them out without any human intervention.

The United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation (OPK), an integral part of the Rostec arms corporation, says it has developed the Unicum (Latin for 'the only one') software package that gives military or civilian robots enough artificial intelligence to perform complicated tasks completely on their own.

Powering a group of up to 10 robotic complexes, the Unicum artificial intelligence (AI) communicates and distributes ‘roles’ among the robots, chooses the ‘commander’ of the robotic task force and assigns combat mission to each individual machine.

It can locate targets, choose dominating positions on a battlefield, request target elimination validation from human operators and eliminate the targets. It is also capable of automatically requesting replacements for disabled machines.

The Unicum AI could be installed on any robotic system, no matter where it is used: on the ground, in the air or out at sea. It has the ability to act independently or in groups.

The developers claim their AI could exclude humans from taking part in the actions of robots altogether.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Gee, this thread's title really attracted me. It looks like it was lifted from a science fiction story. I also had that concept in my mind when someday battles will be fought by robots or weaponry that does not involve humans in the field (the missile is an example of this). And if this AI is successful, I guess it would serve mankind more if it is applied in other endeavors instead of in wars. That point about "capable of undertaking decisions and carrying them out" really baffles me.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
That point about "capable of undertaking decisions and carrying them out" really baffles me.
To be honest, I think the Russians are doing a little exaggeration here. AI still isn't intelligent enough to do everything a human can do. In fact an attempt to let AI make decisions [when the time does come] will cause problems for everyone. What if intelligent machines turn against those who made them?

Remind of Stephen Hawkins fears:

"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race," Hawking told the BBC in December 2014.

He's right I suppose.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
To be honest, I think the Russians are doing a little exaggeration here. AI still isn't intelligent enough to do everything a human can do. In fact an attempt to let AI make decisions [when the time does come] will cause problems for everyone. What if intelligent machines turn against those who made them?

Remind of Stephen Hawkins fears:

"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race," Hawking told the BBC in December 2014.

He's right I suppose.

Stephen Hawking is a revered scientist and his statements are taken at face value by the media. And I agree with you that Hawking may be right that like in the movie Terminator, when the AI became so powerful, man was being obliterated on earth because of the reason that humans are not efficient. And I also believe in that question of what happens when the machine turns against their creators.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Good thing though is it's going to take a really long time to build machines that can "think" independently, make their own decisions and execute them. And there's also the the risk of hackers gaining control of something that dangerous. The damage they could do . . .