Saudi king hits French beach — Some French Citizens Not Happy With Restrictions | World Defense

Saudi king hits French beach — Some French Citizens Not Happy With Restrictions

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Saudi king hits French beach -- with a cast of 1,000 - Yahoo News

King Salman of Saudi Arabia is expected to arrive in France later Friday for a Riviera beach holiday, bringing with him no fewer than 1,000 people from his entourage.

While the king's three-week visit is a boon for the local economy, it has also sparked anger due to the closure of a public beach for the privacy and security of the royal party.

The king's inner circle will be put up at the family's private villa, which stretches across a kilometre of Riviera coastline between Antibes and Marseille.

Some 700 other members of his entourage will be accommodated at top hotels on the promenade in Cannes.

Hundreds of other Saudis will be following the king on his holiday -- as is the tradition -- bringing the total number of Saudi citizens flooding into the southern French beach resorts to around 1,000.

"Clearly this is good news," said Michel Chevillon, president of an association representing hotel managers in Cannes.

"These are people with great purchasing power which will pep up not only the luxury hotel industry but also the retail and tourism sectors of the town," said Chevillon.

But not everyone is happy.

An entire kilometre of public beach will be cordoned off for security and privacy reasons and coastguards will stop anyone coming within 300 metres of the villa by sea.

The Saudis also generated a great deal of anger by starting work on an elevator from the beach to the villa, which involved pouring a huge slab of cement directly on to the sand.

A petition against the "privatisation" of the public beach gathered more than 45,000 signatures in eight days.

"We recall that this natural zone, like all maritime public estates, is an intrinsic public property that should be available for the benefit of all, residents, tourists, French, foreigners or people passing through," said the petition.

"We ask the state to guarantee the fundamental principle of the equality of all citizens before the law," the text added.

"We're sick and tired of this messing around," said a local woman, more succinctly.

"I can see it's normal that you need to guarantee their security but they should let us go for a swim."

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Once again money rules the world. And political correctness. It's funny how public areas suddenly become private when you have enough cash & influence.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
This shows that the country is trying to please the Saudi king and he may have given money to the politicians and also to the ones in law enforcement and now get's to have his own area on the beach, and the local people can't do anything about it. Since the King is quite popular in his own country and he must be putting money in the French economy, he may get more rights so, the leaders of the country are making sure he is going to be looked after and enjoy his visit as well. I reckon this means business for the hotels and also the city area and the economy will increase and will be interesting to see the positive results from this.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon me for this naughty comment but what I had in mind upon reading the thread title is the Saudi King had wanted to close the beach because of the nude bathers there. Hahahaaa, sorry for that. But I agree that the King's visit to France will somehow invigorate the economy because I'm sure the King's entourage have the money to spend. How I wish to be part of that entourage someday.