Should NATO be dissolved | World Defense

Should NATO be dissolved

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Many people have claimed that since the Cold War is over that we do not need NATO anymore. They say that it is obsolete since the Soviet Union does not exist anymore. I think we still need NATO. I think it serves as a deterrent to other countries that might try and stir up trouble in Europe. This of course really relates to Russia. I think that is partially why Russia tried their hardest to make sure they could not directly connected to the Ukraine issues. Any other opinions? Do we need NATO?

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
I agree. The Warsaw Pact was the communist answer to NATO and came about 6 years later. NATO was an attempt to stop the continual warring in northern Europe. Bareing in mind that Albania and Croatia only joined 5 years ago - and the current issues with the Ukrane and prior to that Chechnya, Georgia etc - it is obvious that the great Russian Bear still need carefully watching.

However, on the other hand, the creation of the EU (and the Euro) has somewhat dampened down the infighting within Europe over lost lands, trade, etc - as there is a forum in which Germany has the biggest mouth (and muscles) already, so with that respect there is less need. Who is not to say that NATO was what allowed for Europe to get to a stage where the EU was possible - and with the current Eurozone financial problems, and misbehaving minor states making matters worse, it could very easily fall on NATO to control fallout if the whole things does deteriorate into chaos. Interesting times.

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I do think that as China and other nations rise that they will at some point create a NATO like coalition. They already have some coalitions like this but they are not the same as NATO. My concern would be that if we dissolved NATO, then we may realize we need it again. People want to unite with the strongest powers for their own safety. Maybe NATO could be kept but reimagined to deal with new issues in the world.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
Absolutely. NATO should evolve - and in some ways it has over time already - from a "watch out for fascists" to "Watch out for communists". Today the threats are different though. With the nuclear deterrent, and standing on the threshold of an even scarier nano-tech revolution, military resolution is an unlikely choice by any of the real players (against each other - of course that doesn't go when the chips are all one sided) - the threat is economic and cyber attacks - and of course the bane of all big states, the rise of terrorism. This is why we have seen the big boys in the playground, USA, Britain, Japan, Australia and Canada sharing intelligence in a similar pact-like agreement. China and Russia are left to play on their own side of the playground for now, this may change as China's head-dive into consumerism continues.

haitch

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that NATO is much less active than previously but having it on hold will mean that if conflict does erupt then there will be no need for creating a new board just for the purpose of that. NATO is a useful resource for smaller countries like Ukraine (although they are not in NATO) to receive help.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well NATO in its current form seems to be an organization which is ran by the US. They seem to have no say in what the US does when the US wants to and NATO it seem have to get the go ahead from the US to take action. NATO should be disbanded and the European Union creates its own military coalition to deal with any problems in Europe or elsewhere that may need their help.

STM

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Romania
Having a little steadiness is definitely welcome. Countries like Russia and China are continuously expanding, so having a lending hand behind your back is something in these times when war creates money..
I do agree that the initial point of NATO has now become obsolete since the Soviet Union dissolved and there isn't any further interest for countries involved in it to be allied concerning this, but I personally think that Russia is becoming a greater power than the Soviet Union ever managed to be, so it would make sense to have an alliance, in my perception.
YES, it should remain.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While the main reason NATO was formed might not be relevant anymore, I do think that moving forward, they still have an important say in how the world will be run. Coalitions seem to be the power brokers at the moment and in that respect so I do see NATO having a future, I'm just not sure in what capacity, or how much influence they'll have.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Who is going to decide that? Trump maybe if NATO allies refuse to pay what he is asking for. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. Russia and China pose a great threat to the US and its allies.