Should the A-10 scrapping plans be scrapped? | World Defense

Should the A-10 scrapping plans be scrapped?

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
For some reason USAF seems determined to get rid of the A-10, and I struggle to see why on earth they are doing that. The chance of a type of conflict where super modern planes are needed is unlikely to happen any time soon, so why not keep them around for the much more likely type of conflict to happen like the US needing to fight against various terrorist organizations or all sort of insurrections?

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
The A-10 will not be thrown out of service anytime soon. Mark my word.

As for fighting terrorism, the predator can effectively do the job.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, it does appear its retirement has been blocked by Congress: Congress moves to block A-10 retirement in 2015 - IHS Jane's 360
I wonder what the costs of running an A-10 are compared to the Predator. Also, if the predator can do just fine, then what's the point of keeping the A-10? I'm not sure the A-10 can still be effective at anything else other than fighting against forces with no anti-air capabilities. It's just too slow and clunky.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The A-10 is a highly useful machine that can be used for destroying terrorists all day and every day. The damn plane is built around the nose cannon. That thing will be staying in service for a while unless of course a replacement is developed but I don't think that's really needed.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Well its a good thing because the F-35's main cannon isn't even ready yet. They have no way of knowing just how effective the plane is going to actually be in filling the role of the A-10. Of course we don't really need the A-10 to begin with as attack helicopters play much the same function.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
I think this is more of a budget move. Helicopters can fullfill most of the roles the A10 does just fine so it might be economically smart to get rid of one. (lowers maintenance costs A LOT) And helicopters obviously aren't going anywhere as they have more uses and can be easily operated from pretty much anywhere, whereas the A10 does need an airfield to operate from.