The biggest myths about technology | World Defense

The biggest myths about technology

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
macbook_summary_2198091i.jpg

Macs can't get viruses: Yes, they can. Malware such as trojan horses could effect Mac OS X operating systems in the same way as Windows. However, although Macs are not immune to viruses, attacks are rare. This is because the virus has to be specifically designed for a Mac and most are targeted at businesses who tend to use Windows.

A5T04P_2070649i.jpg

Laptops can make a man sterile: Various studies have attempted to link laptops, mobile phones and wi-fi with male infertility. However, basic science tells you that the laptop itself is not the problem, but the heat it generates. The testes are stored in the scrotum, outside of the body, to stay cool. Therefore, sitting with anything hot on your lap for a prolonged period of time is best avoided.

batteru_3033124i.jpg

You must only charge your battery when it is empty in order to sustain its power: Not any more. Modern lithium rechargeable batteries do not have the "memory" of older batteries and can be recharged at anytime without damaging the battery's lifespan.

8__iPad_camera_lea_3073679i.jpg

The more megapixels a camera has, the higher the quality of the photo: The quality of a camera is actually determined by the size of the megapixels, not their quantity. This is because a photo is shaped by the amount of light that the sensor in the camera is able to take in. Therefore, sometimes there can be little difference between cameras with different megapixels.

LG-smart-tv_2281731i.jpg

LCD televisions are better than LED televisions: LCD and LED do not even refer to the same part of a television. LCD refers to the technology in the TV screen and includes plasma and OLED, an up-and-coming technology. LED means light-emitting diode and is effectively the backlight which lights up the image. Every modern television, including LCD ones, now uses LED.

iphone_2211190i.jpg

The more signal bars you have, the better your signal: Actually, mobile phone signal bars only illustrate your proximity to the nearest tower. Your phone signal could be affected by other factors, such as how many people are using the network.

The biggest myths about technology - Telegraph

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
So many of these were news to me. I didn't know the one about digital cameras and mega-pixels. I have been looking at cameras all wrong. Also, didn't know Macs could get viruses! Good article!

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I really didn't know this one about batteries. It is a great news actually because I am always waiting for the battery to go dead and then I charge it again. I always thought that mess up the capacity of the battery in this way but I guess not. What about Linux and viruses? I have Linux and I never had any protection but also zero problems with viruses. I think that viruses are made even for Linux but rarely used, I guess.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Macs powerful and best for graphic design & editting music:
They may be good at using common Mac software that is used in the industry like Pro Tools and Photoshop - but this isn't because the Mac is better, it's that the other OS ports of the software are rubbish.
Also the gloss on a Mac screen means you have to position it correctly to any light sources else you'll just get glare.