THE FUTURE OF FLIGHT: SWARMS WILL DOMINATE THE SKY | World Defense

THE FUTURE OF FLIGHT: SWARMS WILL DOMINATE THE SKY

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Scientists are studying how swarms of insects, ants, bees and wasps behave, which have the same DNA for the entire nest or hive. Instead of studying an individual ant or bee like they did in the past, they are studying how the ants or bees behave as a group. These types of insects appear to have a group intelligence, and have sophisticated methods of communicating with each other. How exactly they do this is still being discovered.

Some species of ants can weave or attack targets as a single entity, this indicates a far higher intelligence then previously thought, and that the entire nest/hive should be viewed as a single entity. A single bite from an ant is fairly harmless, thousands of ants biting an animal can paralyse it. Some species of ants appear to intentionally attack animals to immobilize them and then eat them. Some scientists believe that many people are actually killed every year by ants, but the ants destroy the evidence.

Scientists are looking at ways to use this swarm behaviour in drones for many applications including warfare. In this case the drones would be fully autonomous, acting as swarms seeking targets of opportunity. Swarms of drones could be used to attack large targets like aircraft carriers overwhelming the defenses.

Article which describes how this science works.

www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-06/future-flight-swarms-will-dominate-sky

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
Wow, this would be amazing. I think they got inspired by some action movies or something because I can't imagine how they thought about this. Anyway, it is a great idea, but let's be honest, I think it will remain just an idea.

karmaskeeper

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I hope I'm not around for that. I agree it sounds like some sort of sci-fi movie. Just think if that happens it gives me chills. I'm not sure that would be a good thing either. If some crazy country like North Korea could do it. We'd all be in trouble that is for sure.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
This will be a very huge step in future warfare because the smaller the weapons will be like these insects, the more it is undetectable and can infiltrate defenses with ease. But I think this is still far from becoming real, unless nano-technology will be fully developed in countries like Japan resulting in a patent that can be used as a guide. In the case of natural ways to control live organisms, it is difficult to do this, but I am hoping scientists will be able to find ways for this to happen. It would be really cool to have these as tool for warfare and I hope I can live long enough to witness this.