U.S. Air Force eyes bomber contract in 'next couple of months' | World Defense

U.S. Air Force eyes bomber contract in 'next couple of months'

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
U.S. Air Force eyes bomber contract in 'next couple of months'| Reuters

The U.S. Air Force is still working through details of a long-awaited contract for a new long-range strike bomber, and expects to award a contract in the "next couple of months," a top U.S. Air Force official said Tuesday.

Lieutenant General Arnold Bunch, military deputy to Air Force acquisition chief Bill LaPlante, told a subcommittee of the House Armed Services Committee, the service was taking its time to ensure the decision was thoroughly vetted.

"It's not schedule driven. It’s fact and decision point driven. We're being very thorough," Bunch said. "My hope is that it’s within the next couple of months. We still have details that we have to go through."

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Is a new long-range strike bomber needed at this present time? I know development for the next best thing must continue but the US airforce has the B-52 which is stated to be in service until the 2040's, and then there's the B-2 which I think was stated would be retired around the 2050'/60's.

Still, it will be interesting to see what design is settled on and if it's going to be manned or not, but I doubt we will know anything concrete until officially announced which I do not think will be any time soon!