U.S. asked for China’s help on N. Korea cyberattacks

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
U.S. asked for China’s help on N. Korea cyberattacks

bf2012a0-abeb-4605-8135-df15b6560349_16x9_600x338.jpg

A security guard stands at the entrance of United Artists theater during the premiere of the film "The Interview" in Los Angeles, California. (File photo: Reuters)​

AFP, Washington
Sunday, 21 December 2014
The United States has asked China to help block cyber attacks from North Korea as it weighs a response to the crippling hack of Sony Pictures, a U.S. official said Saturday.

“We have discussed this issue with the Chinese to share information, express our concerns about this attack and to ask for their cooperation,” a senior U.S. administration official told AFP.

The U.S. blames the isolated state for the hacking that prompted the cancellation of the Christmas Day release of “The Interview,” a madcap romp about a CIA plot to kill leader Kim Jong-Un that infuriated the North.

North Korea called Saturday for a joint investigation with the U.S. into the crippling attack on Sony, denouncing Washington’s “slandering” after President Barack Obama warned Pyongyang of retaliation.

China is North Korea’s closet ally, and has traditionally had long-standing influence with the leaders of the hermit state.

The U.S. administration official said that in “our cybersecurity discussions, both China and the United States have expressed the view that conducting destructive attacks in cyberspace is outside the norms of appropriate cyber behavior.”

The U.S. and China last year set up a special panel to discuss cybersecurity.

But earlier this year, in an unprecedented move Washington charged five members of a shadowy Chinese military unit with hacking U.S. companies to winkle out their trade secrets.

In the first-ever prosecution of state actors over cyberespionage, a federal U.S. grand jury indicted the five on charges of breaking into U.S. computers to benefit Chinese state-owned companies, leading to job losses in the United States in steel, solar and other industries. The five remain at large however.

It is unclear how the United States will choose to retaliate against North Korea.

Addressing reporters after the FBI said Pyongyang was to blame, Obama said Washington would never bow to “some dictator.”

“We can confirm that North Korea engaged in this attack,” Obama said.

“We will respond. We will respond proportionately and we’ll respond in a place and time and manner that we choose.”

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...for-China-s-help-on-N-Korea-cyberattacks.html

mikeqin

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
The price for delusional blackmail will come and it will be upon crazy Westerners, who have turned into a scourge of our world.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I really hope that China decides to cooperate and help, because this shouldn't even be going on at all right now, anyways.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
The hackers could've left traces from other codes left by North Korea from the previous hacks. Not that I'm in favor nor trying to defend North Korea, but it's possible that it could also not be them. Hackers get more sneaky each day. But I still am not ruling North Korea behind the Sony Hack as well.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
A network scan was posted of North Korean IP space on reddit. I believe the consensus was that considering the limited amount of bandwidth they have access to, it is unlikely that the hacks originated from NK itself. There's very little incriminating evidence that North Korea orchestrated these attacks, other than the accusation by the US.

North Korea makes these kinds of threats all the time, it's part of their domestic propaganda campaign. But I think even they themselves are surprised at the unprecedented attention this has received.

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I still wonder about China's stance regarding North Korea. I wish Chinese forces would just take over that hapless country and annex it to the PRC.

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
What I don't understand is China violently taking over a peaceful nation like Tibet and letting a country like North Korea do whatever it wants. China can easily oust Kim Jong-un if they were so inclined. But as long as it does not interfere with the Chinese agenda I guess its okay.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
What I don't understand is China violently taking over a peaceful nation like Tibet and letting a country like North Korea do whatever it wants. China can easily oust Kim Jong-un if they were so inclined. But as long as it does not interfere with the Chinese agenda I guess its okay.

China already faces a large amount of refugees from North Korea, who are promptly shipped back to NK concentration camps if caught. If they annexed North Korea, they would be expending quite a bit of manpower and resources for the purpose of removing a regime that has for the most part been loyal to and depends economically on China, and would have to then face the influx of refugees.

At this point, it's debatable if even South Korea really wants immediate reunification because of the consequences that developing North Korea's extremely backward infrastructure would have on the South Korean economy.

downsouth

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
China already faces a large amount of refugees from North Korea, who are promptly shipped back to NK concentration camps if caught. If they annexed North Korea, they would be expending quite a bit of manpower and resources for the purpose of removing a regime that has for the most part been loyal to and depends economically on China, and would have to then face the influx of refugees.

At this point, it's debatable if even South Korea really wants immediate reunification because of the consequences that developing North Korea's extremely backward infrastructure would have on the South Korean economy.

I see your point but any Chinese occupation would be better for the North Korean people at this point than this dictatorship they have to withstand. Short term maybe it would not be beneficial to China but after a few years of Chinese occupation and stabilization, refugees coming into China would be curtailed. And China now has a stable country to have strong economic ties with. Also the rest of the world can breathe a sigh of relief. Shouldn't China be a little selfless ?

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
I personally believe that if China does not even help the United States it still does not matter because i believe the US should have the capacity to handle the situation on their own

TatsuKaji

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
16 0 0
Country
USA
Let's be honest, I dont' think anyone cared about the Interview movie, even with this hacking nonsense to make people want to see it to spite North Korea. I still doubt they had the ability to competently hack Sony, although, with how crap sony's security is.. some guy on a ti80 in North Korea might have managed.

weepforsweep

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I'm glad the movie was released under pressure. I wish China would put pressure on North Korea to not do this attacks again. It is China though, they probably enjoyed it.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
Some hackers have been traced right back to America. While I do think that the movie is way too offensive and should have never even been produced, the hackers from North Korea are acting very inappropriately. I still don't know why Sony thought that producing the movie would ever be a good idea. Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to both Sony and the media as a whole- you cannot produce anything and everything without there being consequences.

cyberpinoy

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Philippines
Asking for chinas help is useless i think. North Korea neither has the capacity or the intelligence to launch a cyber attack of this scale. China however does. I think the only thing that involved North Korea as wehre the attack came from, the rest of the situation was being conducted by the chinese and most likely had a hidden agenda under it. Meaning there as more to the attack than what happened with sony.

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I guess it makes sense that the #2 economy of the world is asking for help from the #1 economy in the world. It also makes a lot of sense for help from China because of their close proximity to North Korea, especially compared to the distance between that and the United States. Plus China is in pretty good shape at the moment. It makes more sense to me rather than asking any other country for help.