U.S. Military Makes Monumental Shift To Hollowpoint Pistol Ammunition | World Defense

U.S. Military Makes Monumental Shift To Hollowpoint Pistol Ammunition

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
U.S. Military Makes Monumental Shift To Hollowpoint Pistol Ammunition - Bearing Arms - hollowpoint, JHP, Modular Handgun System

In a significant doctrinal shift, the U.S. military is relegating full metal jacketed (FMJ) pistol bullets to a training role, and will be adopting modern hollowpoint designs similar to those used by most domestic law enforcement agencies and citizens who carry handguns for self-defense.

The stunning announcement was made at the U.S Army’s Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey yesterday during the military’s two-day “industry day” for the Modular Handgun System (MHS), which will conclude today.

A military lawyer who made a presentation during the Industry Day noted that the United States is not a signatory to the Hague Conventions which outlawed the use of “dum-dum” and expanding bullets more than a century ago. It is the military’s position that the shift to jacketed hollowpoint (JHP) ammunition, which more efficiently transfers energy to the target and which presents much less of a risk of over-penetration, is more humane and less of a risk to innocent civilians downrange in modern combat where there are often no clear front lines.

The MHS contract is still caliber agnostic, with the primary requirement being that the adopted cartridge must perform 10% better than currently issued M882 (9mm NATO, 124-grain FMJ) with both the FMJ training ammunition and the hollowpoint ammunition issued for deployment.

Both the FMJ and JHP must perform similarly so that the training and combat ammunition has the same recoil impulses and performance parameters.

A lot of conventional wisdom suggests that the 9MM and .45 ACP are the top two contenders for the MHS contract.

The big selling point for .45 ACP in the past century was always that it was a slightly larger bullet than the 9mm, and that it performed somewhat better when both calibers were using FMJ bullets. In addition, the military has also already used .45 ACP hollowpoints in combat handguns in Afghanistan and Iraq among special operations units fighting unlawful combatants. It has not (officially) used them against other nation-states in military-on-military combat.

Now that JHPs are going to be used as general issue, the playing field tilts back strongly in favor of 9mm.

I strongly suspect that the Army has already taken a long and hard look at the data produced by the Federal Bureau of Investigation when they recently investigated switching handgun calibers, an investigation that led the agency to abandon the .40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. The FBI discovered that 9mm outperforms both .40 S&W and .45 ACP when using premium hollowpoints, while having less perceived recoil and much greater ammunition capacity.

I would not be surprised at all if the full-size variant of the pistol that eventually wins the contract has a magazine capacity of 17-20 rounds.

During testing, MHS candidate pistols will feed at least 35,000 rounds of JHP to ensure reliable feeding.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Does the type of bullet used in war matter? The intention of firing a bullet during war is to kill the enemy and I am sure that whatever type of bullet used will get the desire result non the less.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
From what I know, hollow point bullets create a little explosion. When a person is hit by a full metal jacketed bullet, the bullet will enter his body or skull and stop when it hits a hard object like a bone. For a hollow point bullet, it explodes when it hits something hard so it creates more damage. That's what I learned from our military training in school. I'm not sure if the hollow point is the same hollow point I am talking about.

Rock

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
I think that hollow points are honestly more humane, rather than letting someone bleed out due to a bullet hole. I think that they should also expand to using hollow points for their rifles also, I have no idea how it makes sense that our law enforcement uses more effective weaponry than our own nation's military.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Hollow points are not more humane, the reason the Hague convention outlawed their use in warfare is because they created significant casualties outside of the battlefield. So basically causing internal bleeding and destroying internal organs which lead to soldiers dying AFTER they have been evacuated from the battlefield.

But I do see the reason for switching when it comes to sidearms, a FMJ is not going to penetrate much anyway and a JHP gives much more stopping power. For rifles, it's going to remain FMJ due to the need to penetrate objects such as walls, vehicles, body armor etc. This is also precisely the reason the law enforcement units always use JHP, it does not penetrate objects and thus reduces the chance that in an urban setting a bullet fired by a police officer goes through a wall and hits a civilian.

Ohh and hollow points do not explode. They simply "flatten" upon impact, creating a more blunt shape. There are explosive bullets too but their use in warfare has also been outlawed in calibers less than 20mm in diameter.