Ukraine Crisis | Updates & Discussions | Page 3 | World Defense

Ukraine Crisis | Updates & Discussions

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I don't know anything about the West starting a proxy war with Russia, all I know is that the Ukraine wanted to separate from Russia and be its own independent nation and the US supported the idea. However Russia refuses to let go and as a result waged war on the Ukraine.

Awesome video's @BLACKEAGLE, and scary. I grew up in a military town and I remember watching the tanks roll through the streets. They were awesome to view, I can image the fear these people were feeling seeing those tanks (always forget what they are called) barreling through their blockade and speeding through the town the way they were. It was a message mostly, letting them know that they can't keep them out.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I don't know anything about the West starting a proxy war with Russia, all I know is that the Ukraine wanted to separate from Russia and be its own independent nation and the US supported the idea. However Russia refuses to let go and as a result waged war on the Ukraine.
I think I've posted the video where Obama admits US was behind coup in Ukraine at least 3 times in this forum. Ukraine was never a part of Russia it was a part of USSR until 1991, they had a referendum in which majority voted to leave the USSR, Russia completely supported their independence and was one of the first countries to recognize it so I'm really not sure what you mean by ''Russia refuses to let go''? If you've been watching he situation closely I'm sure you know that Russia has been the one pushing for peace, ceasefire and integrity of Ukraine while on the other hand you have Poroshenko who is doing nothing but begging for more loans and weapons from the west.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Ukraine conflict: Russia's Vladimir Putin says war 'unlikely'

President Putin: "I believe that such an apocalyptic scenario is hardly possible"

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said war with neighbouring Ukraine is "unlikely", in an interview for Russian television.

Mr Putin also stressed his support for the recent Minsk ceasefire deal as the best way to stabilise eastern Ukraine.

Ukraine says Russian troops have been fighting in Ukraine. Mr Putin repeated denials that this was the case.

Foreign ministers from Ukraine, Russia, France and Germany are meeting in Paris on Tuesday to discuss the ceasefire.

On Monday, Ukraine's military said rebel shelling had prevented them from withdrawing heavy weapons from the front line.

Ukraine accused the rebels of using artillery fire around the towns of Donetsk and Debaltseve.

Monitors from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) also said fighting has continued since the ceasefire.

A statement from the mission said a rebel commander at a checkpoint in Donetsk had threatened to kill a monitoring team on Sunday.

_81197442_81197441.jpg

The town of Donetsk is a hub for the pro-Russian separatists

In his interview - his first extended comments since the ceasefire deal was agreed on 12 February - Mr Putin was asked if there was a real threat of war, given the situation in eastern Ukraine.

"I think that such an apocalyptic scenario is unlikely and I hope this will never happen," he said.

Mr Putin said that if the Minsk agreement was implemented, eastern Ukraine would "gradually stabilise".

"Europe is just as interested in that as Russia. No one wants conflict on the edge of Europe, especially armed conflict," he said.

_75306516_line976.jpg

Analysis: Sarah Rainsford, BBC News, Moscow
This was a confident Vladimir Putin, fielding soft questions on the Ukraine conflict with ease, even smiles. Russia's president said that in his eyes, the way to peace in Ukraine is clear - the deal struck in Minsk has to be implemented.

He underlined that the agreement had been backed by the UN Security Council - and that matters to Moscow. He was also keen to point out that it devolves more power to eastern parts of Ukraine, currently controlled by Russian-backed rebels.

As for Russia invading Ukraine, President Putin once again shrugged off evidence that he's deployed troops to help the rebels. He said Kiev was claiming that to hide its humiliation at being defeated by former miners and tractor drivers.

He was just as scathing on the issue of Crimea, which Russia annexed last year, advising Ukraine's president to concentrate on saving his country's collapsing economy, instead of vowing to take back that land.

_75306516_line976.jpg

The Russian leader also said the Minsk deal had become an "international legal document" following UN Security Council approval of a Russian-drafted resolution endorsing it.

Last week the deal looked in danger of collapsing when rebels captured the strategically important transport hub of Debaltseve.

Both sides have two weeks under the terms of the Minsk deal to pull artillery and tanks out of striking distance, and both agreed at the weekend to begin withdrawing heavy weapons shortly.

_81193998_81193996.jpg

Both sides have pledged to start withdrawing heavy weapons
_81194000_81193999.jpg

There was bitter fighting in Debaltseve ahead of a Ukrainian withdrawal
But on Monday, the Ukrainian military said rebels had not stopped firing and that it was therefore unable to withdraw heavy weapons.

The rebels, however, were not expected to begin their pullback until after Russia's Defenders of the Fatherland Day, that they were observing on Monday.

The BBC's Paul Adams reports from the self-declared People's Republic of Donetsk that rebels there said they were experiencing less intense fighting than before, with less use of heavy weapons by the Ukrainian army.

But he adds that soldiers and an appreciative crowd were in defiant mood as they listened to a little girl deliver a rousing speech to mark the holiday, calling down God's judgement on the government in Kiev.

_75306516_line976.jpg

Minsk agreement: Key points

• Ceasefire from 00:01 on 15 February (22:01 GMT 14 February)
  • Heavy weapons to be withdrawn within two weeks
  • All prisoners to be released; amnesty for fighters
  • Withdrawal of all foreign troops and weapons from Ukrainian territory, disarmament of all illegal groups
  • Lifting of government restrictions on rebel-held areas
  • Constitutional reform to enable decentralisation for rebel regions by the end of 2015
  • Ukraine to control border with Russia if conditions met by the end of 2015
_75306516_line976.jpg

Fighting began in eastern Ukraine in April, a month after Russia annexed the Crimea peninsula.

Nearly 5,700 people have died and at least 1.25 million have fled their homes since the conflict began early last year.

The Ukrainian government, Western leaders and Nato say there is clear evidence that Russia is helping the rebels with heavy weapons and soldiers.

Independent experts echo that accusation while Moscow denies it, insisting that any Russians serving with the rebels are "volunteers".

_81135261_ukraine_ceasefire_lines_20.02.2015_624_v2.gif

BBC News - Ukraine conflict: Russia&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];s Vladimir Putin says war &[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];unlikely&[HASHTAG]#039[/HASHTAG];

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I think I've posted the video where Obama admits US was behind coup in Ukraine at least 3 times in this forum. Ukraine was never a part of Russia it was a part of USSR until 1991, they had a referendum in which majority voted to leave the USSR, Russia completely supported their independence and was one of the first countries to recognize it so I'm really not sure what you mean by ''Russia refuses to let go''? If you've been watching he situation closely I'm sure you know that Russia has been the one pushing for peace, ceasefire and integrity of Ukraine while on the other hand you have Poroshenko who is doing nothing but begging for more loans and weapons from the west.

Here is why this does not really make sense to me. If it was true the the US was behind the coup and the Ukraine is not apart of Russia, then why did Russia attack the Ukraine and why even during the "cease fire" Russia continued to attack the Ukraine. I think there is more going on behind all this then what has been presented. I am not saying that the US has had no hand in it all, but it seems to me that it all just does not fit right.

@BLACKEAGLE thanks for the information. So basically we have different sides saying different things but no real definitive as to what the underlining truth really is.... sounds like your typical politics to me. LOL

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Ukraine's Yatsenyuk Calls Russia's Putin a Threat to Civilization

Ukraine's prime minister has a simple message to Russia: "Get out of our land."

Arseniy Yatsenyuk said Tuesday that Russia was not withdrawing heavy weapons from the east of his country — as promised under the terms of a shaky cease-fire — and called Russian President Vladimir Putin a "threat to the entire Western civilization."

"I have a key aspiration, and this is the aspiration of the entire Ukrainian nation: Russians, get out of our land. But they are still in Ukraine; Russian military and boots are still on Ukrainian ground," Yatsenyuk said in an interview with CNBC's Steve Sedgwick.

The U.S. and its allies are considering imposing more sanctions against Russia for allegedly undermining a truce in eastern Ukraine. That cease-fire was the result of marathon talks in Minsk, Belelarus — led by France and Germany between Russia and Ukraine — aimed at stemming the year-long conflict.

Those negotiations culminated with an agreed cease-fire in addition to the withdrawal of heavy weapons, prisoner swaps and local elections in rebel-held areas. Both sides have been accused of violating the truce, and Yatsenyuk told CNBC that "a cease-fire is not in place" and Putin "hasn't executed any deal."

The premier also called the peace talks themselves simply the lesser evil at a time when Ukraine only had "two options on the table, bad and worse."

"It's crystal clear…that Putin cheated and outplayed" not just those at the talks but the entire European Union, Yatsenyuk said.

He stressed that his primary goal was to restore peace to his country and see Russian troops pull back, calling that "doable" with the support of the West.

150225-ukraine-pro-russian-troops-423a_77322fcbdafaf3957d5f139ab609e93c.nbcnews-ux-640-440.jpg

VASILY MAXIMOV / AFP - Getty Images
A convoy of pro-Russian militants takes a break near the eastern Ukrainian city of Starobeshevo on Wednesday.
Ukraine's Yatsenyuk Calls Russia's Putin a Threat to Civilization - NBC News

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Ukraine preparing for large scale war with Russia. Now deploying S-300 Anti-Air in Odessa.

Cmok

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Where is @Cmok our Russian representative.
Sorry if I don't share everyone else's black and white view of the world. I really don't see what I should add here, not much is currently going on (besides the usual satanization) anyone interested in the whole Ukrainian situation or the stuff being posted should do the researching themselves and then draw conclusions instead of taking everything for granted. I see nothing new posted, just new propaganda.

Cease fire is still holding, people are clearing mine fields. Pullback of weapons is proceeding as planned. And you know what they say, where there's oil....

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Looking through this definitely gives me a sense of how bad the situation they are dealing with is. I really hope this conflict can come to an end soon. I don't see how anything good is being accomplished here at all. Putin is just being a bully and has convinced people of Russian decent in Ukraine to go agree with him. What a tragic mess.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
U.S. blacklists more Ukrainian rebels, expands non-lethal aid

9e093735-bbe2-4912-9fb7-f1dc519f08ba_16x9_600x338.JPG

The White House announced $75 million more in assistance that includes radios, unmanned aerial vehicles, counter-mortar radars, night vision devices, first aid kits, ambulances and other medical supplies (File photo: Reuters)

By Reuters | Washington
Wednesday, 11 March 2015

The United States targeted eight Ukrainian separatists and a Russian bank with sanctions and announced more non-lethal aid for Ukraine on Wednesday after accusing Russian-backed rebels of breaking a European-brokered ceasefire.

Washington is ratcheting up pressure on Moscow a day after it said Russia sent tanks and heavy military equipment into Ukraine in breach of the Minsk accord agreed on Feb. 12.

The sanctioned bank, Moscow-registered Russian National Commercial Bank (RNCB), last year became the first Russian bank to open its doors in Crimea after the region’s annexation. Russia’s Interfax news agency, which treats Crimea as part of
Russia, ranked it as Russia's 142nd largest by assets last year.

Russia’s biggest lender, state-owned Sberbank, gave RNCB its former network on the Black Sea peninsula after the annexation. The bank was sanctioned by the European Union last year.

RNCB said the sanctions “do not pose a threat to its current activities” and “at present, RNCB has no assets in the United
States.”

The aid to Ukraine includes about 200 unarmed Humvees and 30 with armor, said a U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity. It also includes an undetermined number of unarmed Raven reconnaissance drones, the official said.

In addition to that equipment, which could begin to be delivered within weeks, the White House announced $75 million more in assistance that includes radios, unmanned aerial vehicles, counter-mortar radars, night vision devices, first aid kits, ambulances and other medical supplies.

Among the more prominent separatists blacklisted by Washington on Wednesday was Roman Lyagin, who chairs an election commission in rebel territory. The U.S. Treasury accused him of preventing voting in Ukraine's May presidential election.

Lyagin said he was not a fighter and was playing a peaceful role in separatist activities.

“It’s the opposite. I do my best to stop the bloodshed,” he told Reuters, speaking from the separatist-held eastern Ukraine city of Donetsk.

Rebel leader Aleksander Khodakovsky appeared dismissive of the U.S. sanctions slapped against him on Wednesday. He said he had no bank accounts, was already sanctioned by the European Union and had nowhere to go beyond Russia and rebel-held areas.

“Why should I be worried?” he asked.

Khodakovsky, a defector from the Ukrainian state security service who is now Secretary of the Security Council of the so-called government of the Donetsk People’s Republic, was placed on the European Union’s sanctions list in July.

“Now with the Americans I have the full set,” he said.

A U.S. senior administration official said the $75 million in aid was “part of our ongoing efforts to bolster Ukraine’s defense and internal security operations and resist further aggression.”

The announcement follows accusations by Ukraine and Western governments that Russia continues to send troops and weapons to support separatists in eastern Ukraine despite the Minsk ceasefire deal, a charge the Kremlin has denied.

“If Russia continues to support destabilizing activity in Ukraine and violate the Minsk agreements and implementation plan, the already substantial costs it faces will continue to rise,” Adam Szubin, the U.S. Treasury Department’s acting undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said in a statement announcing the sanctions.

Last Update: Wednesday, 11 March 2015 KSA 22:00 - GMT 19:00
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2015/03/11/U-S-blacklists-more-Ukrainian-rebels-expands-non-lethal-aid.html

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Having a couple of friends and relatives in both the European countries near Russia and some areas in America. I can speak out for a fact that news in both countries are highly different from each other. While news everywhere in the world states that Russia is attacking Ukraine, news from the countries around and in Russia are stating that some other country is attacking it and Ukraine is asking for aide from Russia.

Normal people will never know what's really happening between these countries, but it sure is looking like someone wants to start another Cold War. In the end the truth will be what the more powerful tells us it is.
Typical east vs. west propaganda. It is actually pretty surprising that a more active propaganda campaign hasn't been implemented here in the US.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
We pretty much are already in a cold war. It is a hot war we gotta worry about. I think the only way to know for certain what is going on is to speak with people in the Ukraine. They would know for fact what is going on and I don't mean their media. I mean the actual people. We got Russian's blaming the US, the US blaming Russia and poor Ukraine stuck in the middle.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Interview with the Ukrainian President discussing the view of the Ukrainian people. There are two on here. The first is the news report interview and the second is a complete interview.