US Marines and National Guard | World Defense

US Marines and National Guard

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
By the way, did not notice this until after I titled and posted this, I put Coast Guard when I meant to put National Guard. LOL

In another thread, I was defending a point using references from the US Constitution and I came into the realization on something I had never noticed before. In the US Constitution Article 2, it states that the President is the Commander in Chief over the Army and the Navy and states militia. Now here is my question ... so where does the Marines and National Guard fall in that. If it falls under "states militia" (and by states militia I am assuming that the militia is the police) then the states are in violation of the constitution because by constitutional law states can not create a military of their own. The military can only be created on a federal level. So by this information, the Marines are not under the direction of the President and (unless they fall under Armies, but then why are militia and Navy mentioned separately?) congress has no hand in the Marines or National Guard. Can someone please explain this?

CivilDefense

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
USA
Regarding the Marine Corp, they are organizationally under the Department of the Navy. They have been since 1834.

The National Guard is, more or less, the modern incarnation of the state militias. The history can be read about here.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Thank you for clearing that up for me @CivilDefense. I was a little confused about all of that. LOL I was thinking maybe they were a part of both because Army is land, Navy is sea and the Marines are land and sea. As for the National Guard, they are for national defense and not international so it would make sense they are considered state militia.

Now that just leaves the Airforce... they are a part of the Army, right?

Last edited: