Why British front-line police fear a much higher toll if a terror attack happens here in the UK | Page 2 | World Defense

Why British front-line police fear a much higher toll if a terror attack happens here in the UK

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
But then the question will be what do you call an high profile area? I do take your point, and the major cities should all have armed police patrolling the streets, but who can say that the lives of those in London, Manchester or Glasgow, are more important than those in other towns.

We all renember the IRA campaign against the English, and when Warrington was attacked. Warrington wouldn't be classed as an high profile target even now, but it was still the scene of a terror attack, so in my eyes, if we're going to arm the police, then arm them. We can't pick and choose who gets protected more than others.

You're totally right.
I was just thinking that if the government came up with the excuse that it couldn't be afforded then it makes sense to protects the majority first and then roll out the solution to smaller populated areas.

Have you ever seen Hot Fuzz? There's a comment in it that 'Everyone and their dog has a gun round here'. That reminds me of where I am where shotguns are common because of it being a farming community. We'll look after ourselves until the police get a chance to tool up :p

@Gabriel92 The police force that used to work there were armed, the current one I don't know about, but I wouldn't be suprised.
I think there is still a sizable army presence in NI but not in an active roll as it was during the troubles.

Last edited by a moderator:

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
@Gabriel92 your right and the police in Northern Ireland have always been armed. I don't know if that's because they have been under more threat due to the armed paramilitary groups they have over there, or if the country itself as a higher rate of gun related crime, historically, but I can't see that changing anytime soon.