‘Punish a Muslim Day

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
‘Punish a Muslim Day’ Fliers Spur Warnings, Police Investigations
Authorities in the UK say that anonymous mailings of fliers advocating violence against Muslims on 3 April 2018 have triggered a counter-terrorism investigation.

punish-a-muslim-day-announcement_feature.jpg

Fliers calling for violence against Muslims on 3 April 2018 (dubbed “Punish a Muslim Day” in the mailings) are being investigated as terrorist threats, UK law enforcement officials say.

The National Police Chiefs’ Association issued a statement on 29 March, assuring the public that the threats were being taken seriously and measures were underway to protect potential victims from harm and bring any offenders to justice. Officials declined to publicize any details of the investigation so as not to jeopardize its success or increase the risk of violence.

Reports of the fliers, which were mailed to specific addresses around the U.K. without naming the addressees, first surfaced on 9 March 2018:

In addition to warning that the “white nations” of Europe and North America are being overrun by “those who would like nothing more than to do us harm and turn our democracies into Sharia led police states,” the message offers point rewards for violent actions against Muslims:

Punish a Muslim Day
3rd April 2018
They have hurt you, they have made your loved ones suffer. They have caused you pain and heartache. What are you going to do about it? Are you a ‘sheep’ like the vast majority of the population? Sheep follow orders and are easily led, they are allowing the white nations of Europe and North America to become over run by those who would like nothing more than to do us harm and turn our democracies into Sharia led police states. Only you can help turn this thing around, only you have the power. Do not be a sheep!​

There will be rewards based on action taken. These are as follows:
10 points – Verbally abuse a Muslim
25 points – Pull the head scarf off a Muslim ‘woman’
50 points – Throw acid in face of a Muslim
100 points – Beat up a Muslim
250 points – Torture a Muslim using electrocution, skinning, use of a rack
500 points – Butcher a Muslim using gun, knife, vehicle or otherwise
1,000 points – Burn or bomb a mosque
2,500 points – Nuke Mecca
According to the Tell MAMA (Measuring Anti-Muslim Attacks) web site, copies of the flier were received in London, the Midlands, and Yorkshire. Owners of the web site said they are working closely with police to track the mailings. Images of the flier have also been distributed on social media platforms.

A Tell MAMA post on 9 March noted similarities between the “Punish a Muslim Day” fliers and a series of hate letters sent to mosques in the UK and the United States in July 2017. Among their shared features are the use of sword imagery and threats of violence against Muslims.

Assistant Chief Constable Angela Williams of the West Yorkshire Police released a statement on 12 March assuring the public that all appropriate measures were being taken to prevent violence:

We are aware of a number of reports of potentially malicious communications having been sent to individuals in West Yorkshire and across the UK.
The investigation into these instances is currently being co-ordinated by the North East Counter Terrorism Unit (NECTU) and these enquiries are on going.
What I want to do is to reassure the communities of West Yorkshire that these communications are being taken extremely seriously. We understand that they may have caused concern and upset to people, especially the more vulnerable members of society.
We are working with the communities we serve to reassure residents that, as always, everything possible is being done to ensure their safety and to catch the person or persons responsible for this. Public safety remains our priority and I would urge our communities to be vigilant but not frightened. If you see anything suspicious please call police on 101 or if it is an emergency, 999.​
A 27 March update from the BBC said police in Scotland were investigating the possibility that a recent spike in Islamophobic hate crimes in Glasgow were related to the fliers, although none were known to have been received there. The incidents ranged from a schoolgirl being asked if someone could take a video of themselves ripping off her hijab to physical and verbal assaults on Muslims in public places.

U.K. victims of hate crime threats or violent incidents are urged to report them to authorities via the Metropolitan Police Service web site or by contacting their local police directly.

Although there have been no reports of “Punish a Muslim Day” fliers being received in the United States thus far, at least one school district superintendent (in Vermont) said he planned to send a memo to parents alerting them to the threats just in case.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
"We" sir ..Humans as bunch will continue to fight for one or another reason

Punish a Muslim Day? How barbaric can things get? It's already Punish_Those_Who_Aren't_Hindus_Season in India; you must read about what's been happening in India around Ram Navami. Read about Asansol, for instance. It's blood-curdling for secular Indians, I can only imagine what it will be for you, even on video or on YouTube.

What is happening in India is getting ugly - had got ugly. The only consolation is that people are beginning to wake up from their sleep, and ask themselves if this is what they want. The answer, increasingly, is "No". But there is still a long night to live through, before we come out into the welcome light of day. All this while Pakistan is improving socially and politically every day; once things settle down, the economics will improve. Good for you, and wish for good things for us.

Hithchiker

Reactions
721 28 0
Country
Pakistan
Punish a Muslim Day? How barbaric can things get? It's already Punish_Those_Who_Aren't_Hindus_Season in India; you must read about what's been happening in India around Ram Navami. Read about Asansol, for instance. It's blood-curdling for secular Indians, I can only imagine what it will be for you, even on video or on YouTube.

What is happening in India is getting ugly - had got ugly. The only consolation is that people are beginning to wake up from their sleep, and ask themselves if this is what they want. The answer, increasingly, is "No". But there is still a long night to live through, before we come out into the welcome light of day. All this while Pakistan is improving socially and politically every day; once things settle down, the economics will improve. Good for you, and wish for good things for us.
I wish good but totally devasted and couldn't watch a video where a boy was killed and "Imam (whose son got killed) asking for restrain...The only reason one can do
1) He has other kids to worry
2) He is really a "Walli" otherwise a common man can't sustain this..
Vote bank politics is cruel ...
We have our own type of demons in society from politicians to clerics

Last edited:

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
I wish good but totally devasted and couldn't watch a video where a boy was killed and "Imam (whose son got killed) asking for restrain...The only reason one can do
1) He has other kids to worry
2) He is really a "Walli" otherwise a common man can't sustain this..
Vote bank politics is cruel ...
We have our own type of demons in society from politicians to clerics

I did not have the heart to raise the point. On the other forum, Razpaq said such an insensitive thing. I am fond of the little cuss, but that was bizarre even by his eccentric standards. The whole episode filled me with grief, anger and even hate.

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
It's already Punish_Those_Who_Aren't_Hindus_Season in India

Plenty of punish who are Hindus Seasons in India as well.

No hands are clean here. But tyranny of majority will prevail to ensure a social stability.... like everywhere else in the world since time immemorial.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Plenty of punish who are Hindus Seasons in India as well.

I am curious - where did you see this?

No hands are clean here. But tyranny of majority will prevail to ensure a social stability.... like everywhere else in the world since time immemorial.

It will ensure the destruction of dissent, it will ensure the loss of civil rights, it will ensure that the views of charlatans like Gurumurthy will prevail, and the caste system will be touted as the basis for an 'Indian' economic paradigm.

Social stability, as an argument, has been the argument of the right wing seeking a rollback of democratic freedom from the days of the Thirty at Athens; remember them, and what they did to Socrates? Remember that they also talked, in vague terms, about social stability? The disturbing of which led to a dish of hemlock?

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
I am curious - where did you see this?

The multitude of instances of non-Hindus (in areas they are in a sub-unit majority) doing pogroms/riots/aggressions against the local Hindu minorities? Don't even need to make it India level, just need to look at UP. Bihar and Hyderabad area are catching up with the leader....and West Bengal because of Mamata pure identity politics is now in the fray as well.

Do I really blame the non-Hindus per se for it? Not really. This is a global thing that happens at some frequency (in group preference identity politics reaching its natural bloody peak in some sinusoid of activity) regardless of the groups identity. The detroit riots (and also general pervasive violence found in NYC at sustained level till about the 90s) were probably the one of this nature that happened closest to where I am right now...at a myriad higher wealth per capita even back then than found in India today.

Social stability, as an argument, has been the argument of the right wing

I am not saying its a particularly good or even sound logical argument (from a purely moral standpoint)....rather it is how human nature/society operates by its prevalent design and desire, quite brazenly on the ground. It is not restricted to the right wing by any stretch either....it is used in large quantity by extreme factions (on both sides, however they are defined in some moment in time) period.... normally exploiting some forced elitist (and often hypocritical) attempt to "bring/guide" people away from it....without any real attempt to gauge/discuss what ought to replace it and why that would be genuinely better and if we even have it in us as a species to operate that way.

Like there can only be good if evil exists (sadly)....there can only be ideals if the reality exists in contrast to it. It is very important to understand that and just how weak and fallible we really are, especially when we boldly want to make something good or ideal by some force we quite arrogantly feel we have developed and have at disposal.

remember them, and what they did to Socrates? Remember that they also talked, in vague terms, about social stability? The disturbing of which led to a dish of hemlock?

One of the few times I openly wept regarding a person so removed from my time and space by millenia when I read Plato's (quite detailed) account of it.

Socrates himself warned about the dangers of total absolute-democracy and what it would eventually lead to....deep down I don't think he was one bit surprised or shocked at even the limited version operating in Athens was enough to snuff out his voice, by murder and by simply a vote.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
The multitude of instances of non-Hindus (in areas they are in a sub-unit majority) doing pogroms/riots/aggressions against the local Hindu minorities? Don't even need to make it India level, just need to look at UP. Bihar and Hyderabad area are catching up with the leader....and West Bengal because of Mamata pure identity politics is now in the fray as well.

Do I really blame the non-Hindus per se for it? Not really. This is a global thing that happens at some frequency (in group preference identity politics reaching its natural bloody peak in some sinusoid of activity) regardless of the groups identity. The detroit riots (and also general pervasive violence found in NYC at sustained level till about the 90s) were probably the one of this nature that happened closest to where I am right now...at a myriad higher wealth per capita even back then than found in India today.

I am not saying its a particularly good or even sound logical argument (from a purely moral standpoint)....rather it is how human nature/society operates by its prevalent design and desire, quite brazenly on the ground. It is not restricted to the right wing by any stretch either....it is used in large quantity by extreme factions (on both sides, however they are defined in some moment in time) period.... normally exploiting some forced elitist (and often hypocritical) attempt to "bring/guide" people away from it....without any real attempt to gauge/discuss what ought to replace it and why that would be genuinely better and if we even have it in us as a species to operate that way.

Like there can only be good if evil exists (sadly)....there can only be ideals if the reality exists in contrast to it. It is very important to understand that and just how weak and fallible we really are, especially when we boldly want to make something good or ideal by some force we quite arrogantly feel we have developed and have at disposal.

One of the few times I openly wept regarding a person so removed from my time and space by millenia when I read Plato's (quite detailed) account of it.

Socrates himself warned about the dangers of total absolute-democracy and what it would eventually lead to....deep down I don't think he was one bit surprised or shocked at even the limited version operating in Athens was enough to snuff out his voice, by murder and by simply a vote.

But @Nilgiri, it wasn't the democrats who murdered Socrates; it was their opponents. The vote that you are referring to was the vote by the jury, and the decision of the junta to put him on trial was not one that was voted upon. This junta (actually the term comes from 18th and 19th century Spain) was anti-democratic in the extreme, was pro-social stability, and was pro-Spartan. It did not rule democratically at all.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India

In fact, he disobeyed the order of The Thirty on an earlier occasion, when he was ordered to form part of a team deputed to arrest Leon of Salamis and bring him back to Athens (for execution; Leon being a popular admiral of the democratic era). It was not the democrats, not even the extreme democrats under Cleon, that executed him. It was the forces of social stability.

One of the charges against Socrates was one of encouraging social instability, by his constant questioning.

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reactions
224 22 0
Country
India
In fact, he disobeyed the order of The Thirty on an earlier occasion, when he was ordered to form part of a team deputed to arrest Leon of Salamis and bring him back to Athens (for execution; Leon being a popular admiral of the democratic era). It was not the democrats, not even the extreme democrats under Cleon, that executed him. It was the forces of social stability.

One of the charges against Socrates was one of encouraging social instability, by his constant questioning.

He was found guilty by his peers the jury who were (30+ age male) citizens selected of their own free will after swearing an oath to be fair to both sides of the court argument (one that made it past arbitration - which you correctly say is a non-democratic process reliant on the administration directly and still is such to a fair extent today). Or am I mistaken?

I believe they ruled on his sentence too.

Now how exactly they were corrupted and biased by the anti-democrats, pro "social stability" faction's arguments inside and outside the court proceedings (that brought the action/charge against Socrates and then used a democratic framework for their own purposes...and then gleefully carried out the sentence as well) is really a testament to one of the flaws in democracy (in relation to how humans as a species operate). A staunch enough emotional anti-democrat can exploit the process quite handily, and often the masses will flock to him....well past the scope and scale of a courtroom.

Basically a democracy is the sum of the democratic quality of its constituents. There is a reason after all why some countries/societies are not pre-disposed to it working long term no matter their wealth and size....take Russia for example.

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
He was found guilty by his peers the jury who were (30+ age male) citizens selected of their own free will after swearing an oath to be fair to both sides of the court argument (one that made it past arbitration - which you correctly say is a non-democratic process reliant on the administration directly and still is such to a fair extent today). Or am I mistaken?

I believe they ruled on his sentence too.

Absolutely correct.

Now how exactly they were corrupted and biased by the anti-democrats, pro "social stability" faction's arguments inside and outside the court proceedings (that brought the action/charge against Socrates and then used a democratic framework for their own purposes...and then gleefully carried out the sentence as well) is really a testament to one of the flaws in democracy (in relation to how humans as a species operate). A staunch enough emotional anti-democrat can exploit the process quite handily, and often the masses will flock to him....well past the scope and scale of a courtroom.

Well, yes and no.

If you have followed it closely, you will recall first of all that the arraignment was a closely customised one. Such an accusation would be possible even today, but only in the kind of totally vitiated atmosphere that our right wing friends are trying to create in our courts. Read Chelameshwar J. on the subject, the letter where he asked what was the purpose of having courts of law in the first place.

After the arraignment on the charges of 'corrupting the young', and 'not believing in the Gods in whom the city believes, but in daimonia that are novel', two such open-ended charges that anything could serve as evidence against him, the trial proceeded, and the jury decided against him. But before getting to the sentencing, let us have a look at what happened. Of the three prosecutors, Socrates made a monkey out of Meletus, catching him in contradiction and then, in awful deference, correcting his formulation; he played with Lycon; Anytus, the main mover of the trial, remained silent. But you deserve to read the defence for yourself; it was masterly but also enfuriating to those bested. And that was the whole problem. None of these intellectually arrogant Athenians liked to be bested with such fluent ease.

So the sentencing. Nothing to do with dictatorship or democracy, we will say. It was up to Socrates to humble himself and ask for suitable middling penalties, that would probably have got him off. But he asked for a preposterous sentence, a free meal, a banquet at the cost of the state, and the enraged jury sentenced him to death.

Basically a democracy is the sum of the democratic quality of its constituents. There is a reason after all why some countries/societies are not pre-disposed to it working long term no matter their wealth and size....take Russia for example.

The same thing applies to India. Given that we are riven through and through as a society by divisions, a jury wouldn't have worked.

It boils down to his immediate vulnerability on arraignment. He was an odd figure, attractive to smart young men, thought to be faintly exotic, lampooned in an Aristophanes play as a pompous and prolix speaker of highfalutin nonsense - not the kind of person who wins popularity contests - or elections. At the end of the day, if it had not been a minatory administration, that had a propensity for social stability, he would never have been in danger.