‘We’re all blonde’: U.S. envoy hits back at Ankara mayor

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
‘We’re all blonde’: U.S. envoy hits back at Ankara mayor

d6a3664c-afc0-4fe1-a3b6-eec5c591c15d_16x9_600x338.PNG

U.S. ambassador to Turkey John Bass posted this photograph on his Instagram account.​

By AFP | Ankara
Friday, 1 May 2015
The U.S. ambassador to Turkey on Friday hit back at sexist remarks by Ankara’s maverick mayor to the U.S. State Department spokeswoman in unusual style, posting a picture of himself with blond hair.

Ankara Mayor Melih Gokcek, a close ally of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, had on Wednesday fired off an extraordinary diatribe on Twitter over the Baltimore rioting, telling the U.S. State Department acting spokeswoman Marie Harf to “come on blonde answer now.”

“Where are you stupid blonde, who accused Turkish police of using disproportionate force?” he added, referring to US criticism of the harsh response by Turkish police to demonstrations.

Harf herself had refused to rise to the bait of the comments, saying in Washington: “I really don’t think I’m going to dignify them with a response.”

But U.S. ambassador to Turkey John Bass took to Instagram to make his response, posting a picture of himself with his normally brown hair turned blond.

“American diplomats: we’re all blonde,” he wrote in English and Turkish.

It was not immediately clear if the ambassador’s hair had been Photoshopped or if he had actually dyed his hair.

Gokcek, who has been mayor of Ankara since 1994, has earned notoriety in recent years for outbursts on his Twitter account @06melihgokcek, taking on anyone who dares challenge him.

The mayor, nicknamed “Mad Melih” by his detractors, was ridiculed this month after erecting a massive statue of a “Transformers” style robot in the center of Ankara to promote a new theme park.

The statue has since been removed but the controversy is far from over - a gigantic Tyrannosaurus Rex has now been erected in its place.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Pretty funny. Not as funny as the conversation about IKEA furniture that the Swedish foreign minister of defense Benjamin Netanyahu had, though.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Marie Harf has made a number of stupid comments which include, "offer ISIS jobs" and it serves her right to be ridiculed by anyone. But calling her a stupid blonde is going a little bit too far. Good thing is diplomat, John Bass tried to dilute it all . . .

I wonder though if the Ankara Mayor will get the joke. He doesn't sound too smart :)

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I wonder if we're looking at what's going to replace the bucket challenge. Everyone dye their hair blond to support solidarity and pretend we're not divided?

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
LMAO thats a dumb reply!! WTH ?! that guy looks ridiculous! %-}D:-D

thats too much he looks like hes backing up his high school girlfriend or something HAHAHAHA
he could have came up with something better!! åæ“lol

and hes suppose to look serious ?! sorry i cant!! ROFLD:-D

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The world is being ran by children who aren't even mature enough to get accepted into preschool.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
exactly! iv been always saying that
and with todays media its becoming ridiculous
The media are the ones to blame for a lot of the issues we're dealing right now. The news they pick and choose to report on, the total lies they're feeding us, the are more powerful than any

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The media are the ones to blame for a lot of the issues we're dealing right now. The news they pick and choose to report on, the total lies they're feeding us, the are more powerful than any

Oh definitely, the media twist and turn everything to suit them. The crazy thing is, everybody seems to be of the opinion that the newspapers lie yet they still buy into everything the media feeds them. I wonder what it is that prevents people from being able to see past this?

For the record, Bass looks more ginger than blonde.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
For the record, Bass looks more ginger than blonde.
:xD:

i wonder if john Stewart commented on this hahaha

just look who controls the media and everything you read and watch and you will understand the game. the majority of ppl are lazy or dumb when it comes to such thing.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I wander what will happen now, and to prove his point he took to instagram and thinks this is a racial thing, the story has turned a different course and he has a responsible position and should be showing matrurity and be a example for his people and doing this is going to look bad. The women should think before what she says and is not commenting at the moment maybe later on will when things cool down a bit. The media can turn things around and also, people should think and see if it is true or things just being twisted around to get more views and the media just trying to make more money and profits from this.