2 in Mississippi arrested trying to join ISIS | World Defense

2 in Mississippi arrested trying to join ISIS

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Arrested for their intention to join ISIS? Is there a law against joining ISIS? I wonder why they are arrested, maybe with an evidence to that effect? Sorry for the series of questions, I just want to be neutral when it comes to evaluating things. It's not good to be prejudiced with ISIS even if I admit that I am personally prejudiced with them.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
They should just send them off to join as their punishment and stop wasting tax payers' money to house and feed them in prison. If they want to go off to the middle east to join a terrorist group then why stop them?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Arrested for their intention to join ISIS? Is there a law against joining ISIS? I wonder why they are arrested, maybe with an evidence to that effect? Sorry for the series of questions, I just want to be neutral when it comes to evaluating things. It's not good to be prejudiced with ISIS even if I admit that I am personally prejudiced with them.
Technically, they are arrested for providing help and materials to a foreign terrorist.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
@LilAnn, maybe the news article is not clear enough for me because I know that helping terrorists (or rebels) is tantamount to a crime. But from what I understand with the couple, they wanted to join ISIS after getting married in Turkey before going to Syria to join their comrades-to-be. If they have a big amount of money or maybe some armaments but having nothing of those evidences and with only the intent, I don't think it is a crime. Just my thoughts.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
They should just send them off to join as their punishment and stop wasting tax payers' money to house and feed them in prison. If they want to go off to the middle east to join a terrorist group then why stop them?
Because they can return, more radicalized than they previously were, and cause some serious problems. People like them could recruit malcontents . . . and if it [the recruitment] spreads further ISIS would have a small army in the U.S. Picture a scenario where hundreds of terrorists take to the streets shooting anyone they see . . .

Prevention is better . . .

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
@LilAnn, maybe the news article is not clear enough for me because I know that helping terrorists (or rebels) is tantamount to a crime. But from what I understand with the couple, they wanted to join ISIS after getting married in Turkey before going to Syria to join their comrades-to-be. If they have a big amount of money or maybe some armaments but having nothing of those evidences and with only the intent, I don't think it is a crime. Just my thoughts.
They don't need evidence. This is America. lol
Seriously, though, there are laws about how long you can hold someone and not officially charge them. And if they do charge them, they don't have to be convicted yet, to have their passports taken. Anyway, as anit-islamic as America is, right now, the intent is enough for most people. Give it time and we'll see another witch trial... just like Salem, only bigger.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
I saw that on the news. I mean WTH? are they happy with joining people who are barbaric enough to cut off peoples heads and be proud of it? Hey, Kiddos if you want to rebel against mommy and daddy, and the man.! find a safer way to do it, and one that isn't going to get you locked up in prison for 20+ years...It is craziness.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I saw that on the news. I mean WTH? are they happy with joining people who are barbaric enough to cut off peoples heads and be proud of it? Hey, Kiddos if you want to rebel against mommy and daddy, and the man.! find a safer way to do it, and one that isn't going to get you locked up in prison for 20+ years...It is craziness.
I don't understand it, at all. What I'm the most curious about is why do these people look for ISIS to begin with? I believe they have to got to track ISIS down as opposed to ISIS finding them.

eveliner

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
This is rather unsettling. I see more and more people trying to join these petty humans, but for a reason or another I don't see much attention being given by the authorities because, like Corzhens said, this is pretty much not a violation of any law. Them being caught for doing that is just a coincidence. Many people that aren't mediatized at all join ISIS on a daily basis, rest assured.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I know this won't solve the problem but why do they detain these people and stop them from leaving the country? Would it not be better to let them leave, and then just not let them back in when they want to return?

Here in the UK it's becoming almost daily news now that people have been arrested trying to join ISIS, but nothing else seems to be getting done about it.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I don't actually know why, but I have a guess...

maybe they want to to do everything in their power to keep the country from adding numbers to their evil alliance. 2 people isn't a very big dent. But after a while the numbers add up. Its better to add 20,000 people to our prison system for a little while, than it is to add 20,000 new murderers to their mindless death squad. I know 20,000 is a really big number, but its just to make a point... they'll add up over time.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, like said in my previous post, every day there is a news story about people disappearing and going to join ISIS, and in one case it was the son of a Labour party politician so he had a lot of explaining to do!

While I can understand the authorities trying to clamp down on people going over there to join, what I don't understand is why we're also spending money on trying to look for IS sympathisers who are living here, just so we can deport them.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I think all the governments involved in this ordeal are absolutely overwhelmed by ISIS, and has no idea what they really need to do. (I'm not judging, because I don't know either). Anyway... they are doing what they can, and the best they can. I've been overwhelmed before so I can't hold it against any of them.