500 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean tragedy | World Defense

500 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean tragedy

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The UN refugee agency United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees Halu(UNHCR) said on Wednesday that as many as 500 people may have lost their lives when a large ship sank in the Mediterranean Sea at an unknown location between Libya and Italy this weekend.

UNHCR said that this could be one of the worst tragedies involving refugees and migrants in the last 12 months. The information was based on interviews with a group of survivors, including 37 men, three women and a three-year-old child. Those rescued include 23 Somalis, 11 Ethiopians, 6 Egyptians and a Sudanese, UNHCR said.

Read more at 500 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean tragedy | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The UN refugee agency United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees Halu(UNHCR) said on Wednesday that as many as 500 people may have lost their lives when a large ship sank in the Mediterranean Sea at an unknown location between Libya and Italy this weekend.

UNHCR said that this could be one of the worst tragedies involving refugees and migrants in the last 12 months. The information was based on interviews with a group of survivors, including 37 men, three women and a three-year-old child. Those rescued include 23 Somalis, 11 Ethiopians, 6 Egyptians and a Sudanese, UNHCR said.

Read more at 500 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean tragedy | mb.com.ph | Philippine News

This is the difficulty of balance that a lot of EU countries are mulling over.
Allow more migrants in - causes more to risk their lives attempting this sort of thing
Not allowing more migrants in - might cut down attempts but the ones who do get near are in limbo in squalid conditions
Send out ships to patrol the areas - what do you do with them if you save them?

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Allow more migrants in - causes more to risk their lives attempting this sort of thing
Not allowing more migrants in - might cut down attempts but the ones who do get near are in limbo in squalid conditions

I think European nations should work with ME powers like Turkey and Saudi Arabia to forcefully overthrown Assad regime and bring peace back to Syria so the Syrian don't have to face such circumstances.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think European nations should work with ME powers like Turkey and Saudi Arabia to forcefully overthrown Assad regime and bring peace to back to Syria so the Syrian don't have to face such circumstances.

The west can't even cough in the direction of a middle eastern country without a backlash from media & the populations, I don't think it'll wash if the current people in power want to stay in power come next election time.
Although I totally agree with you in that thats what they should do.
Clear out the regime then start talks and handover process to a government that is completely established by the local people. Don't over stay the their welome

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines

Maybe that's the reason why US is shying away from the issue of migrants particularly the Syrians because they are a lot. One American said that if you give them an inch, they will come in droves. And that's what is happening now. Look at Germany, the public is getting intense in their opposition to the government's kindness to refugees. But the again, there is the question - what do we do with the refugees who are rescued in the sea?

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe that's the reason why US is shying away from the issue of migrants particularly the Syrians because they are a lot. One American said that if you give them an inch, they will come in droves. And that's what is happening now. Look at Germany, the public is getting intense in their opposition to the government's kindness to refugees. But the again, there is the question - what do we do with the refugees who are rescued in the sea?

Doesn't the US coastguard have some sort of awkward way of dealing with migrants found trying to get in by sea: Migrant Interdiction (CG-5313)

It is that other awkward balance where if you were too receptive they would come, but then wouldn't any of us move to another place if it promised a much safer, stable life?

It goes back to having to improve their current home, that's the only answer in the long run.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Europe has been insanely chaotic the past few years. It's like they have been making one terrible decision after another. I really hate seeing death in the news, even if it were people far away from me. What could the governments have possibly done to avoid this? I think there isn't anything they could have reasonably done to have averted these disasters, which seem to be happening one after another.

Zepplin

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
In the current crisis, it seems any choice is going to hurt, upset or be unpopular with people.

In the long run, their home has to be stable.
Negotiations are the only lasting way, as long as all sides are willing to bend. If anyone goes to a negoation with wants set in stone they never work out.