54 People Arrested For Apology of Terrorism after CH | World Defense

54 People Arrested For Apology of Terrorism after CH

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
As [HASHTAG]#JeSuisCharlie[/HASHTAG] was all over the news, so were reactions of people, outcries supporting the freedom of speech, freedom to say whatever offensive thing is possible, freedom to insult and to hate on a religion/a race.

Some people were not of the same mind and posted reactions where they sided with the terrorists.
The article about the 54 people arrested for putting what was considered "hate speech" and "defending/glorifying terrorism" also circulated somewhat around, getting two kind of responses:

1) This is hypocritical! You cannot support freedom of speech and freedom to be offensive and then arrest people for saying what they think! Double standards!

and the second, responding to the first:

2) You have to be dumb to believe that freedom of speech is the same as an apology of murder and a call to more crimes!

I do realize that people who proclaim that terrorist acts were right are a potential danger because they are clearly condoning criminal acts, and who is in support of murder might just be a ticking bomb. Hence the need for security over the pressing "freedom of speech".

HOWEVER, and here lies what I think is the double standard, I have also seen tons of post (there is a thread about it on this forum, too!) about "Killing all Muslims!" and it has for sure not been the first time I've seen such words thrown around on the web. Also seen people defending murder in foreign countries like Pakistan because "good riddance, one person out of three is a terrorist".

Why is it that for our own safety, we arrested those 54 people, but we let hashtags such as [HASHTAG]#KillAllMuslims[/HASHTAG] trend?!

How does freedom of speech vs safety laws register into these sort of issues?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that this seems slightly hypocritical. I can understand that people would take offence at others condoning the recent attacks, but on the other hand, they were only sparked off by people exercising their right to free speech. Aren't the commenters just doing the same?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
They are hypocrites for this charge! They want freedom of speech to talk about people's religion and race but when the shoe is on the other feet then they get offended and wants to subdue other people's speech.