Affordable Care Act & the Economy | World Defense

Affordable Care Act & the Economy

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
There has been a lot of discussion about economics in several threads and how the economy is growing, the speed of which is is growing and the job market available to citizens of the U.S.

The Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare) has been all over media outlets where it has been praised and blamed for a great deal of the nation's economic problems. I'm going to throw it out the forum in this manner:
  • What impact(s) (positive and negative) do you think the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has had on the U.S. economy?
  • Do you have any personal experiences with buying or dealing with the Exchange and what was your experience?
  • For those who live in countries where Socialized health care is practiced - what has been your experience when it comes to medical care?
download (1).jpg

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the UK where the NHS will take care of you. In my experience the medical care it provides has long waiting times, this is confirmed by what my friends tell me. Generally speaking it is good healthcare, although many people seem to think otherwise.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
If it were causing economic problem, then it must be revised immediately, but further observations would still have to be carried out. The economic might just be temporary, but if it's going so fast to the point that it's putting the economy at a critical state, then it must revamped that it would both favour the people and the economy and not just the people. It should be at the midpoint of the two.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I am from the UK, but have family and friends in the US and most people criticize the the Affordable Care Act, that their prices went up or they didn't want to pay and wanted to get it from a free clinic. For the most part many Americans can't see the bigger picture only how it affects them. Who do you think pays for these free clinics? Federal or State funds. People who couldn't get insurance because they had a condition already, self-employed, under employed or the company did not offer it now can. Surely people can see it is to help the masses rather than the ones that already have healthcare provisions?

I have friends who have no healthcare and cannot afford it until now. They went for years just treating themselves and no wonder people get ill because they don't catch things in time.

In the UK we have the NHS and doctors can refer you, or people have private health insurance but they are still entitled to NHS services. We all pay National Insurance towards it (maybe not the asylum seekers or illegal immigrants, but hospitals won't turn people away) so there is a cost and the system is under strain due to people (mainly EU migrants) coming and using the services and not contributing.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the UK where the NHS will take care of you. In my experience the medical care it provides has long waiting times, this is confirmed by what my friends tell me. Generally speaking it is good healthcare, although many people seem to think otherwise.

I'm in the UK too and whilst waiting times can be long, the actual standard of care is fine and most importantly of all, it is free. I am really very grateful for the NHS and thankful that we don't have to pay a penny towards medical care here.

mylindaelliott

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
There has been a lot of discussion about economics in several threads and how the economy is growing, the speed of which is is growing and the job market available to citizens of the U.S.

The Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. Obamacare) has been all over media outlets where it has been praised and blamed for a great deal of the nation's economic problems. I'm going to throw it out the forum in this manner:
  • What impact(s) (positive and negative) do you think the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has had on the U.S. economy?
  • Do you have any personal experiences with buying or dealing with the Exchange and what was your experience?
  • For those who live in countries where Socialized health care is practiced - what has been your experience when it comes to medical care?

I think the Affordable Care Act is good for the economy. It is putting more money into the health care system. Eventually if not already it is helping people stay healthier so they can work more. I got my insurance through the Exchange.

I have health issues and have not ever had insurance before. It has been wonderful for me. I have small co-pays for doctor appointments and medication. Before I had to depend on a free clinic. Athough they were nice to me the health care is definitely different when you have insurance.

I had some difficulty with the exchange online. My children told me I was too slow for the Exchange and I would get lost. I finally got someone on the phone. They were very nice and I was successful. My found the Exchange very easy to use over the phone. The only problem was the long phone wait to get to a person.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
I could never understand the enmity against nationalized health care. I would rather pay an increased fee every month for the peace of mind that I'm not going to be bankrupted by a minor medical problem. I'd bet that under the current system, many people are afraid of seeking medical help due to the costs and that these problems would snowball over time costing even more money.

RobertNick

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Romania
What's not to like, scope for more individuals, everybody pays less and everybody improves scope. Bodes well that when you give more scope to more individuals it costs less, correct?

I think everybody could have seen issues accompanying this. Expenses going up while not something worth being thankful for, isn't as terrible as the way that administration has been more regrettable. I'm certain on the off chance that others have been to experts as of late they've recognized that as well. Affirmed this by conversing with individuals I know in the medicinal services field that now like never before they are advised to spend close to 20 minutes with a patient regardless.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Theres no doubt Obama Care is bad for the economy and definitely bad for the health care system as a whole. People who talk about free health care but nothing in life is free. Its going to paid for somehow.In other countries its through sky high taxes.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The Philippines will not be left behind since we now have the so called Philhealth care where senior citizens can avail of for free. That is in consonance with the senior citizens act that we have here.

For the Obama care, most of our relatives in the US are complaining that health care should only be granted to the citizens and legal residents. One uncle is very vocal against giving healthcare benefits to illegal migrants. This is a touchy topic, I guess.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Sick people are a real drag on the economy, so I have to think affordable health service is economically the better idea in the long run. I grew up in a socialized system and that works fine but other systems can work fine too.

I don't think how the healthcare is paid for so long as everyone gets preventive care and necessary therapeutic care and money is not wasted.

I do know that America's system is somehow failing on both counts. A lot of people are not getting care and infant mortality ad longevity are not all that impressive, and it is literally the most expensive health care system in the word by percentage of GDP.

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
If it were causing economic problem, then it must be revised immediately, but further observations would still have to be carried out. The economic might just be temporary, but if it's going so fast to the point that it's putting the economy at a critical state, then it must revamped that it would both favour the people and the economy and not just the people. It should be at the midpoint of the two.
Just what did this say? I was under the impression that this forum was in English.
Florida is under the control of the biggest thief in the history of America, Rick Scott. He stole billions from Medicare and has kept millions of Floridians from accessing healthcare. Even with his thievery, my daughter-in-law has been able to purchase excellent healthcare insurance very cheaply. With the courts again recognizing that the Founding Fathers intended for such a program we can hope that the mandated program of following Christian principles and caring for all of us will eventually become the way of life in America.

CrowdedHighways

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Latvia
If we put aside the discussion of the positive/negative effects of ACA on the economy for a moment, I would say that any type of healthcare wherein a person might decide to not go to the doctor because he cannot afford treatment is a bad system.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Most of the people who are mad are people who had insurance already. They're mad because poor people are receiving health care. They don't like the idea, at all, of a program designed to help the poor instead of them.

Reactions
23 0 0
Country
USA
Most of the people who are mad are people who had insurance already. They're mad because poor people are receiving health care. They don't like the idea, at all, of a program designed to help the poor instead of them.
The ACA helps everybody. I know what you are trying to say, it's just that they want healthcare to be a privilege for the select few. Never mind that the founding fathers thought it so important that they included it in the preamble to the Constitution. And Jesus said that those who refused to help the poor would not be welcome in heaven, so "me party" lapdogs, when you say let the guy in the emergency room with no insurance die, that's Jesus who you are refusing to help (Matthew 25:31ff)