Air Force general who spoke of God should be court-martialed, group says | World Defense

Air Force general who spoke of God should be court-martialed, group says

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Air Force general who spoke of God should be court-martialed, group says | Fox News

An Air Force general who recently spoke about how God has guided his career should be court-martialed, a civil liberties group is saying.

In a speech at a National Day of Prayer Task Force event on May 7, Maj. Gen. Craig Olson credits God for his accomplishments in the military, and refers to himself as a “redeemed believer in Christ.”

The Air Force Times reports that the Military Religious Freedom Foundation has taken issue with Olson’s remarks, is calling for the two-star general to be court-martialed and "aggressively and very visibly brought to justice for his unforgivable crimes and transgressions."

The group authored a letter to Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Walsh, arguing that Olson’s speech violates rules within the Air Force, which prohibits airmen from endorsing a particular faith or belief.

The letter, posted on the group’s website, begins, “This demand letter is sent to you on behalf of countless members of the United States Air Force who are utterly disgusted and shocked by the brazenly illicit and wholly unconstitutional, fundamentalist Christian proselytizing recently perpetrated, on international television (“GOD TV”), and streaming all over the Internet and in full military uniform, by USAF Major General Craig S. Olson on Thursday, May 7, 2015 during a VERY public speech for a private Christian organization (The “National Day of Prayer Task Force”: NDPTF) headed up by Focus on the Family founder, Dr. James Dobson’s, wife Shirley Dobson. “

The group, which believes that the American flag and the U.S. Constitution are the only religious symbol and scripture, respectively, for those who serve in the military, also wants other service members who helped Olson to be investigated and punished "to the full extent of military law."

During Olson’s 23-minute talk, the Air Force Times reports, Olson spoke of "flying complex aircraft; doing complex nuclear missions — I have no ability to do that. God enabled me to do that."

"He put me in charge of failing programs worth billions of dollars,” Olson said. “I have no ability to do that, no training to do that. God did that. He sent me to Iraq to negotiate foreign military sales deals through an Arabic interpreter. I have no ability to do that. I was not trained to do that. God did all of that."

At the end of his speech, Olson asked those in attendance to pray for Defense Department leaders and troops preparing to be deployed.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Huh, what is happening to the world? When the internet came about, the term politically correct was born. Now, you cannot just call gay by any other name otherwise you will be politically incorrect. With that general who mentioned God as the guiding light to his career is typical of a devout Christian. And what is wrong with that? Having allegiance to God and not to country? I'd say that is politically incorrect because God comes first and foremost... so help me, God.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's perfectly natural that a committed Christian would want to attribute his achievements to God but the fact is, USAF members are prohibited from promoting any kind of religion. This includes asking people to pray. So whilst there's probably no issue with the guy thanking God, requesting that people engage in Christian prayer does constitute the promotion of the religion.

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
Some group of people made irrational demands. I suspect the "Foundation" is basically a few nutters with an internet connection.

Of course Fox is covering this non-story about unimportant people making irrational demands that will be ignored, because it fits their agenda of "us good Christian folk are under attack by a gay atheist conspiracy who want to destroy our way of life".

But seriously. Some people wrote a dumb letter that will be ignored. I work in a bureaucracy and get letters like that every other days, and file them in the "round file".

I fully support the separation of church and state, and am an atheist, but that has jack to do with a person talking about their personal faith as it relates to their career.

I would note that if an officer made similar statements about being atheist or Muslin, yeah, well they wouldn't would they? The amount of shit that would fall on their heads as a result would just not be worth it.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
You come from a catholic fearing country. The US is actually not. It is freedom of religion, but most people here are christians and it has made it's way into politics because of the catholic votes. I know you understand that part.

There was a time when the president of the united states would say religious tones on stage, and no one said a thing. George W Bush would say that he believed in god and that it was his crusade to end terrorism. Which is the stupidest thing to say to muslims and middle eastern countries.

Now that religion is such a highly debated subject, even our deepest religious government officials are being scrutinized. I know they have their faith, but these guys need to keep a lid on it. God won't shun you if you kept your mouth shut and keep it on a down low.

I'm sorry for myself if I couldn't come to terms with that part that freedom of religion is that - you should not publicly express your faith. Anyway, maybe that's the main reason why that Mormon guy did not prosper in his quest for the presidency of the US (sorry, I forgot his name, was it Mitt Rooney or something?).

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think he is just thanking God for every accomplishment in his life and no need to punish him as, what he said was not wrong and should not be viewed as a crime as he has not done anything that should be viewed as against the country. It is amazing to see the general to showing gratitude to God for all he has done and has admitted without god he could not of done these things and proud to be helped by god and does not take credit himself for the work. I think the ones who wrote the letter are upset and not religious and they have been offended and trying to make it seem as the whole of the military are upset with the way the general talked of god.