AirAsia plane wreckage found, bodies being recovered

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
AirAsia plane wreckage found, bodies being recovered

airasia-plane-missing-wreckage11.si.jpg

Indonesian military pilots look at a flight plan before setting out for a search mission for AirAsia's Flight QZ8501 in Pangkal Pinang, Bangka island December 30, 2014 (Reuters / Darren Whiteside)

Over 40 bodies have been recovered from the missing AirAsia flight, the Indonesian Navy said. Objects resembling parts of the plane, as well as what was thought to be the plane’s outline underwater, were seen in the search area.

“There was a man swaying on the waves. After I looked at the photo carefully on my laptop, I understood it was a human body,” a lieutenant of the Indonesian Air Force told local media.

The bodies so far found have been brought to an Indonesian Navy ship, National Search and Rescue Director Supriyadi told. The corpses were swollen, but intact, and did not have life jackets on, he said, as cited by AP.

Several family members of missing passengers burst into tears or fainted when they saw footage of bodies floating in the water.

It comes after objects that resemble an emergency slide, plane door, and a square box-like item have been spotted 10km from the last position of the missing AirAsia jet, according to Indonesian authorities.

“We spotted about 10 big objects and many more small white-colored objects which we could not photograph,” Indonesian Air Force official Agus Dwi Putranto said at a press conference.

An AFP photographer from the same search flight said he had observed objects in the sea resembling a life raft, life jackets and long orange tubes.

Indonesian officials have expressed concern over the currents in the sea, saying if bad weather persists, debris could be spread before crews get to it.

air_asia.jpg

Airforce soldiers onboard a Hercules C130 stand monitor the Belitung Timur sea during search operations for AirAsia flight QZ8501 near Belitung island (Reuters / Wahyu Putro)

The sea depth where the debris was found is between 25 and 30 meters, so divers will be used in the recovery operation, Indonesian search and rescue agency BASARNAS stated.

At least 20 divers are preparing and will be deployed to the site immediately, Indonesia’s search and rescue chief stated.

An Airbus A320-200 carrying 162 people and operated by Indonesia AirAsia disappeared in poor weather on Sunday morning during a flight from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore.

"Hopefully we will find something definite because I haven't received anything else," an Air Force official told MetroTV referring to the reported debris. "Other aircraft are still carrying out searches."

Currently, at least 30 vessels, 15 planes, and seven choppers are looking for the AirAsia jet, Indonesian officials have stated.

Most of the search is conducted by Indonesia, but Singapore, Malaysia and Australia are taking part as well.

Thailand is planning to join the search, while the US has sent a warship to help.

AirAsia plane wreckage found, bodies being recovered (VIDEO) — RT News

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
This is very tragic. What is even more shocking is that this is the second flight that went missing.

Could this be a technical issue? Or there is another reason behind that?

Last edited:

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I think that it's too much coincidence that two planes from the same country have similar problems, the laws from that country are not being applied in what concerns airplane security or they need to be revised to avoid further accidents.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
I think that it's too much coincidence that two planes from the same country have similar problems, the laws from that country are not being applied in what concerns airplane security or they need to be revised to avoid further accidents.
This incident was with an Indonesia AirAsia flight. I think the other one you're referring to was the Malaysia Airlines flight. Same region, but not the same country.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
Sorry, my mistake, for some reason I was under the impression that they were from the same country, but I guess that applies to the region as well, they need to look better for their planes, there are people dying.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
Something is definitely up here. This is the 3rd plane that went down in South East Asia alone last 2014. But I guess it's still soon to tell. It is a tragic way to end the new year for some families. My heart goes out to them. :(

diprod

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is so tragic. :( :'( May the victims of this accident rest in peace. It is hard enough to lose people you love you but it is even not easier when you lose them during the holidays. I hope and pray that AirAsia does something about their planes and the families who were affected by this crash.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
The skies are become more unfriendly every time you turn on the TV set. I feel bad for these families who have lost loved ones as a result of these tragedies.

We need to look at pilot training and the planes that we are putting in to the air. Accidents do happen and I totally understand that but I also believe many could have been prevented if some safeguards could have been taken. It's just a shame that it seems that people always have to die before safeguards are put into place.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
There are quite a few stories going around, but the weather was an issue and the pilot wanted to change course. Some reports say he was given permission and others say he was denied, but it must have been bad. Having flown in bad weather conditions, I would never do it again and perhaps it happened so suddenly there was nothing anyone could do.

I find it sad passengers were strapped to their seats still and hope all the bodies get recovered soon. The fact that the weather is hampering this shows that conditions are bad and that risks should not be taken in certain circumstances.