45 0 0
Country
USA

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The gunmen didn't stop at 15. They shot many, many more.

147 killed in Kenya school attack, officials say - CNN.com

The massacre that killed 147 people and wounded scores of others at a Kenyan university lasted for hours Thursday before the terror was over.

"It is a very sad day for Kenya," Interior Ministry Joseph Nkaissery said of the carnage at Garissa University College.

The death toll is the highest in a terror attack on Kenyan soil since the U.S. Embassy was bombed in 1998. More than 200 people died in the Nairobi blast.

A total of 147 people were killed Thursday, according to the official Twitter account of Kenya's National Disaster Operation Centre and Kenyan media reports. The agency also said 79 people were injured and 587 people were evacuated.

Islamist gunmen burst into the university before dawn Thursday, shooting students and taking hostages during early morning prayer services.

At one point, the attackers cornered a building in which 360 students live, but some of the students escaped, Nkaissery said.

Kenyan forces cleared three of four dormitories and had cornered the militants in the last one, the Interior Ministry explained.

"This is a moment for everyone throughout the country to be vigilant as we continue to confront and defeat our enemies," Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said.

There are usually four guards at the campus gates overnight, Jackstone Kweyu, dean of students, told Kenya's Citizen TV.

The attack was deadlier than an Al-Shabaab attack on the Westgate shopping center in Nairobi in September 2013 that left 67 people dead.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Sad news indeed. I was fairly certain that something like this would happen again soon in Kenya, but I couldn't have imagined it to be this big. Almost 150 people dead, and from what I heard the same amount injured...

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
With a massacre on this scale, I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a great deal of media coverage about it. All the news coverage I've seen up to now, I wouldn't say it's being covered up as such, its just not high on the agenda.

If this attack had taken place in the US or Europe, I have a feeling this would have been a lot bigger news story.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
People had lose their, lives in this and even young people and it is sad to see this happening and also sad that gunman entered the place and killed many in rage or blind faith even. I think, it is going to take time to end this and seems it will not happen anytime soon and will continue more and more. The government needs to take action now and also, needs to do more so the people of the country are safe and get rid of the rebels and the terrosits as well.