al-Shabab warns of more attacks | World Defense

al-Shabab warns of more attacks

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Most terrorist attacks have happened in region where Islam is the major religion and where al-Shabab has a lot of support. I think al-Shabab will have a hard time carrying out attacks in more Christian parts in Kenya.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
The security in Kenya has always been a little dodgy, so yeah I certainly expect more of these attacks to happen. As I said in another thread, this didn't come as a surprise to me... except for the size of this one. Hopefully the next ones will be much smaller.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
The attacks have been getting dangerous and lives are being lost which is sad to see and the country needs to do more as this will happen more if the security is not improved. It is a scary thought, to see this happening and living in the country must be hard each day as it is getting violent as well over there. I think, more needs to be done so it is safe to live there and also it can be hard to face these sort of people in battle who want to rule the country.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The U.S said they'd help the Kenyan government. Timely intel would be valuable I think. Or maybe they might launch some air-strikes in Somalia and hopefully take out a number of the militias or even their leaders. I think though instead of relying on U.S help, the Kenyan government should speed up the building of the wall to keep out jihadis. It might help . . . just a little bit.

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
The U.S said they'd help the Kenyan government. Timely intel would be valuable I think. Or maybe they might launch some air-strikes in Somalia and hopefully take out a number of the militias or even their leaders. I think though instead of relying on U.S help, the Kenyan government should speed up the building of the wall to keep out jihadis. It might help . . . just a little bit.

Right, except that these al-Shabab terrorists are already established inside the country. That means that they would have to fence off their own country. Anyone on the wrong side of that fence would die. Both terrorists and innocent people. I don't think that's a good solution to the problem.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Right, except that these al-Shabab terrorists are already established inside the country.
Now that, is a real problem for Kenyans and their government. Then maybe the better option would be to permanently station soldiers near border towns. Fewer militias would want to cross over and die for nothing. Once it's assured that border towns are safe, they [the security agents] can try to track down extremists in the country and lock them up. A near-impossible task but all the bustle might force the terrorists to stay hidden = fewer terrorists attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions
17 0 0
Country
Sweden
Now that, is a real problem for Kenyans and their government. Then maybe the better option would be to permanently station soldiers near border towns. Fewer militias would want to cross over and die for nothing. Once it's assured that border towns are safe, they [the security agents] can try to track down extremists in the country and lock them up. A near-impossible task but all the bustle might force the terrorists to stay hidden = fewer terrorists attacks.

I think that's exactly what Kenya is doing. I don't think the government is gonna let al-Shabab into the christian parts, which is viewed as more "valuable" than the Muslim parts. Also, I think gun ownership is quite high in Kenya and I'm sure there are lots of people willing to take up arms if al-Shabab comes near.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The Christian parts are more valuable? No wonder the Muslims aren't too happy. Whenever people feel they are being discriminated against they'll normally choose sides. Since Al Shaabab doesn't kill Muslims [unlike ISIS] I'm sure if jihadis crossed over from Somalia no Muslim would snitch on them. And that does complicate things a lot.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I still don't understand why these terrorists are being allowed to operate at all. We will go in and laughter any country that we feel is a serious threat. Yet ISIS and al-Shabab are still going strong.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The reason why it's hard to fight some of these terrorist groups is because they blend in with civilians. And since some of these civilians may have some sympathy for them believing that they are fighting on their side, they [the non-jihadis] don't share any information with security agents that could get these terrorists arrested. And because it's a war crime to kill civilians, you have to wait until jihadis come out in the open before you kill them. This is what makes it very hard [almost impossible] to defeat such terrorist groups.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I
The reason why it's hard to fight some of these terrorist groups is because they blend in with civilians. And since some of these civilians may have some sympathy for them believing that they are fighting on their side, they [the non-jihadis] don't share any information with security agents that could get these terrorists arrested. And because it's a war crime to kill civilians, you have to wait until jihadis come out in the open before you kill them. This is what makes it very hard [almost impossible] to defeat such terrorist groups.
If you consider all the wars we have fought And won, all the evil people around the world we have destroyed, all the bs we have gone in and fixed for other countries it just takes a group of terrorists to bring us to our knees. This is nuts.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's the way we fight terrorists that must change. The old methods [bombing them] aren't effective anymore. We need to work more with those who can actually identify who the terrorists are. Otherwise if we are sending troops to fight them, the best we can hope for is to make them adopt guerilla tactics which would make it harder for us to defeat them.