Americans Are Becoming Too Fat to Serve in the Army | Page 2 | World Defense

Americans Are Becoming Too Fat to Serve in the Army

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I have always wondered why the military didnt allow the overweight, disabled, or just physically unfit people to serve their country. Why can't they have the office jobs? Why do you need legs to be a recruiter? If you give them the office jobs, you have a lot more able bodied people out in the battlefield.
In high school I knew a guy. He had been hit by a car as a child and his knees bent in toward each other. He wanted, more than anything, to be able to join the Air Force. He could spin a rifle better than I had ever seen. So why can't they let him in, give him a rifle, and a group of people who want to learn to spin it?
I know it is a little off topic. But it's still an idea,'yeah?
Oh, let me just clarify one thing. My bad for not elaborating. I'm talking about soldiers, those who go out there on the field and use weapons, not military clerks. Of course anyone can join the military but they cannot be fully fledged soldiers. An overweight person may become a liability during field battles. I hope you get what I mean.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Oh, let me just clarify one thing. My bad for not elaborating. I'm talking about soldiers, those who go out there on the field and use weapons, not military clerks. Of course anyone can join the military but they cannot be fully fledged soldiers. An overweight person may become a liability during field battles. I hope you get what I mean.
I understood what you meant. The question I posed was more of a side note than a direct response. I do that a lot, lol.
It just seems like the military could afford to make some changes. Most people can do SOMETHING, even if it isn't marching 20 miles in the desert carrying 80 lbs of gear. I know i couldn't do it, but I AM a paperwork master! I guess it seems like it may be time for some changes in policy... Especially given the state of the world right now.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well that is what happens when so much fast food is available and a lot of persons don't know how to cook a meal from scratch to save their live. The convenient foods are causing havoc on the society and the food manufacturers are not concerned as long as they make a profit.