Americans fail political knowledge test | World Defense

Americans fail political knowledge test

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
Americans bomb Pew test of basic political knowledge - Nick Gass - POLITICO

I don't know what I would do if one of my children didnt know who Martin Luther King Jr. was. Teaching history is vital to our success as human beings. I think teaching what's going on around us, in the present, is just as important. Current events, politics, or whatever you want to call it should be taught in elementary schools... This isn't acceptable

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
I definitely agree, more of the youth need to be engaged in the current affairs of at least their own country, if not the world. Kids, of course of the right age, should be aware of the changes that might be happening, whether that be through political or social changes, and how that will affect them.

In the UK, I see that more and more students are protesting against the higher tuition fees and the government reducing it's subsidies for education, but in the last election I think only around half of the "young" people voted in the general elections, which saw the elected officials put more emphasis on the demographics who voted the most, which were more older people, and pensions were raised through that.

This doesn't mean there is a direct correlation between the two, but it still shows that kids and teenagers need to be aware of what is happening around them.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK, I see that more and more students are protesting against the higher tuition fees and the government reducing it's subsidies for education, but in the last election I think only around half of the "young" people voted in the general elections, which saw the elected officials put more emphasis on the demographics who voted the most, which were more older people, and pensions were raised through that.

This doesn't mean there is a direct correlation between the two, but it still shows that kids and teenagers need to be aware of what is happening around them.

Yes, that's true. It's probably the young adults of this country who have suffered the most from the current government too and I can only hope that next month's election has a better turn out. Sadly, the youth of today seem more concerned with what Kim Kardashian is wearing to be bothered about the state of the country.

thegrey

Reactions
37 0 1
Country
USA
With the "common core" crap curriculum that is being taught in American schools today, it's no wonder our kids are ignorant, and make no mistake, they are ignorant. There is no history, except social studies, no writing skills, and hell they don't even know what a quarter of a pound looks like on a food scale, because they're not taught fractions anymore! From my perspective, if it's not politically correct BS, or doesn't pertain to some special interest group's agenda, it is simply not taught! We are in trouble on the world stage.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
What's the current generation of parents doing with their children then? What do schools teach their students? Doesn't anyone at home ever listen to, hear or read current affairs? This all boils down to neglect and a growing culture of vanity and materialism. My parents have taught us to be aware of our socio-political environment from the very beginning. Everyday they listen to the news. Unconsciously, we've developed a similar habit. Rather than listening to the radio or watching on television, however, I read current affairs news at international and local news portals. I won't be that kind of a neglectful parent. My children must have an opinion on politics, the economy and the society at large.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon this could be due to the younger generation, not showing interest and also they don't usually pay attention to the history and also what is going on in the politicial world as well. It could be how the school is today and also, not teaching things that should be known and also will be interesting to see what happens further on now. I reckon that, the new generation does not want to learn the history or thinks the news is boring for them also this results in no interest in the affairs of the world.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
With the "common core" crap curriculum that is being taught in American schools today, it's no wonder our kids are ignorant, and make no mistake, they are ignorant. There is no history, except social studies, no writing skills, and hell they don't even know what a quarter of a pound looks like on a food scale, because they're not taught fractions anymore! From my perspective, if it's not politically correct BS, or doesn't pertain to some special interest group's agenda, it is simply not taught! We are in trouble on the world stage.
That common core cramp almost has me pulling my son out of public schools all together. The only thing worse than the dumb*** who came up with it are the people who decided it was a good idea to teach it. It's ridiculous...
What's the current generation of parents doing with their children then? What do schools teach their students? Doesn't anyone at home ever listen to, hear or read current affairs? This all boils down to neglect and a growing culture of vanity and materialism. My parents have taught us to be aware of our socio-political environment from the very beginning. Everyday they listen to the news. Unconsciously, we've developed a similar habit. Rather than listening to the radio or watching on television, however, I read current affairs news at international and local news portals. I won't be that kind of a neglectful parent. My children must have an opinion on politics, the economy and the society at large.
wow! Neglectful? Really? That's not a nice assumption to make about anyone. Some people just don't have time to work with their kids and teach them current events and the ins and outs of our political system in between school, work, homework, chores, dinner, and what ever else they have to do. Here's what it all boils down to... It's the school's responsibility to educate our children. When a school isn't teaching them about the world around them or that the sun does NOT orbit the earth, why are our tax dollars being spent on it?

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
It does make you wonder what sort if education system is in place when you read stories like that. You would think that even though the younger generation might not be interested in certain aspects of history, they should still be taught it and have some sort of idea about what's made the nation they're growing up in.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
This may sound like a conspiracy nut's rambling, but it seems like there is a conspiracy to make our next generation as ignorant as possible. They aren't teaching our children how to spell (they dont know the difference between there, theyre, and their for example), cursive writing isn't considered necessary anymore (which says 'secret language' to me, lol), math has nothing to do with computing numbers anymore, and the most popular current event is whatever the newest smart phone can do. And science? Don't even get me started on science... I'm pretty sure our society's view on science is less open minded than it was in the Middle Ages. 1/4 of people asked thought the sun orbited the earth. So... When this generation has come into full bloom, and they're the people running our country, what chance do we have?

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
If the figures are accurate, it certainly looks bad when it comes to the future generations.

The trouble is though, every generation can look and blame the last one so if they don't know as much as what they should, who's fault is that? Exactly...ours!

It's up to the system to make sure these people are educated and at the moment they're failing to do that.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
I am not surprised in the least about this. American media has influenced the youths to desire and talk about things which are not important to them and only to enrich the tv stations and their actors. American media seems to be the brain for a lot of young Americans and many don't know much about anything that is not in the media.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
That common core cramp almost has me pulling my son out of public schools all together. The only thing worse than the dumb*** who came up with it are the people who decided it was a good idea to teach it. It's ridiculous...

wow! Neglectful? Really? That's not a nice assumption to make about anyone. Some people just don't have time to work with their kids and teach them current events and the ins and outs of our political system in between school, work, homework, chores, dinner, and what ever else they have to do. Here's what it all boils down to... It's the school's responsibility to educate our children. When a school isn't teaching them about the world around them or that the sun does NOT orbit the earth, why are our tax dollars being spent on it?
Wrong. The responsibility is shared by parents and the school. The family is the basic unit of society. This wasn't said for nothing. Even if you as a parent have a lot of work to do, if there's a will to be with your children and teach them things the school can't, then you will always find a way. If you don't make an effort to be with your children, then you're neglectful. Are you that kind of parent? Why so defensive?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I am not surprised in the least about this. American media has influenced the youths to desire and talk about things which are not important to them and only to enrich the tv stations and their actors. American media seems to be the brain for a lot of young Americans and many don't know much about anything that is not in the media.
I to some extent agree with you. Too much liberalism can backfire. That's what's happening in America. The freedom they want is now upon them but it's not working because there's too much of it. I am impressed by country folks, though. At least in those areas, moral values and the sense of responsibility are preserved. In bigger cities, you don't see much of those anymore.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
While it's true that politics isn't a major issue for a lot of people, I think it's important to know the basics. It might not help you out in day to day living but I think being aware of topics such as this does have an important part to play in society in general.