Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
@Falcon29 @WebMaster @Legend @Scorpion @Gasoline
-
A large explosion in the Turkish capital, Ankara, has killed at least 18 people, Turkish officials said.

A vehicle full of explosives was detonated as military buses were passing by, according to the Ankara governor's office.

More than 40 people were injured in the blast, which happened in an area close to parliament and Turkey's military headquarters.

Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag called it an "act of terrorism".

Large plumes of smoke were seen rising from the area and witnesses said the blast was heard all over the city.

Ambulances and fire engines were sent to the scene.

Ankara blast: At least 18 dead in Turkish capital explosion - BBC News

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
It's really sad that this stuff isn't a surprise anymore. If only the region wasn't in such turmoil...

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Everyone is saying that Turkey falsely accused the PKK. This is not my personal opinion though. And they believe it will be used as an justification for intervention in Syria. But I don't believe Turkey will intervene in any manner. Now whether this is PKK or ISIS? I believe PKK since it is a sensitive target near the parliament apparently. Kurdish people have stronger roots in Turkey and more options available at their hands than ISIS does.

Some reports saying Turkey launched several air strikes in Iraq targeting PKK controlled cities. There was a security meeting but I'm not sure what was made out of it. We need Turkish members to help us out here on what's being said in Turkish media circles....

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Everyone is saying that Turkey falsely accused the PKK. This is not my personal opinion though. And they believe it will be used as an justification for intervention in Syria. But I don't believe Turkey will intervene in any manner. Now whether this is PKK or ISIS? I believe PKK since it is a sensitive target near the parliament apparently. Kurdish people have stronger roots in Turkey and more options available at their hands than ISIS does.

Some reports saying Turkey launched several air strikes in Iraq targeting PKK controlled cities. There was a security meeting but I'm not sure what was made out of it. We need Turkish members to help us out here on what's being said in Turkish media circles....
It was the PKK,the best reaction would be to enter Syria and get rid of the PYD terrorists.
But with this government,nothings going to happen,as usual.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Is this terrorist act the work of ISIS? Pardon me but that is my first suspect whenever there is a blast that kills innocent people. Turkey has ground forces in Syria and it is logical for ISIS to retaliate with their suicide bombers. The 18 dead is no joke. It is a big blow not only for that collateral damage but for the morale of the Turkish army. And with PKK? This is the first time I've heard of that.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
RIP...

Turkey should use its intelligence to assassinate the leaders of this terrorist organizations. Otherwise military option is preferred. I'm not talking about Turkey only, but what's happening in the ME is disgusting that some thousands of rebels are threatening countries...

The terrorists have chosen their way, so no justifications or human rights JUST wipe them off to be safe !!

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
It was the PKK,the best reaction would be to enter Syria and get rid of the PYD terrorists.

I'm seeing news that it was an YPG member. I don't expect Turkey to do anything different than it is doing now. By the looks of it, Syrian opposition is going to be abandoned. Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iran, etc...all find non-state actors as the immediate concern and primary threat. So they will tolerate Assad getting back control of country. Already we've seen Egypt, Jordan and UAE express sympathy with Russia in Syria. Nobody wants to supply Syrian opposition with anti-aircraft weaponry. The recent exercises in Saudi Arabia are aimed to warn local populations from revolt and warn non-state actors.

So Syrians got into a pointless conflict thanks to empty promises from local nations. They were naive in the first place to believe they would get any form of support. What will happen is militancy/attacks may increase and they will become more of localized form. As in revolt against local government. No more will it be terrorism attacking enemies, it will be targeting their local governments.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

I second what Webby said. Hizbollah most likely is behind the attack.

darkrebelchild

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Nigeria
When will all these end? Blasts are constantly on the rise, taking the lives of innocent people. I really don't know why a sane human being will take the lives of many people. What point are they trying to prove? What religion condones terror attack? No religion does. Do these people really have a conscience? They have inflicted the culture of the world with terror attacks.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
It looks like Hizboallah to me. I doubt the PKK is behind the attack this time.

RIP
Erdoğan: 14 detained for Ankara attack, int’l community must understand PKK-PYD ties

upload_2016-2-18_13-50-43.png

Fourteen suspects in seven provinces were detained for links to a car bomb attack in Ankara on Feb. 18 that claimed at least 28 lives, including 20 high ranking soldiers and eight citizens, and wounded 61 people, Turkish President Rececp Tayyip Erdoğan has said.

“Although the PKK and the PYD are denying it, the information from the Interior Ministry and intelligence show that they are behind [the attack],” said Erdoğan, referring to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and the Democratic Union Party (PYD).

PYD leader Salih Muslim had earlier denied that the Syrian Kurdish group was behind the attack.

“I guess that the detentions will not be limited to 14,” Erdoğan said, adding that the domestic and foreign connections behind the attack had been discovered.

“This process will conduce our friends in the international community to understand how tight the PYD and YPG’s connection to the PKK is,” Erdoğan said, repeating that Turkey had insisted on the link, submitting documents.

The People’s Protection Units (YPG) is the armed wing of the PYD.

The U.S. has refused to name the PYD a terrorist group as it is cooperating with the group in fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Syria. The stance against the PYD has become a major bone of contention between allies U.S. and Turkey.

Erdoğan also said he was sad that the attack came just four months after an Ankara suicide bombing that claimed 101 lives.

February/18/2016
Erdoğan: 14 detained for Ankara attack, int’l community must understand PKK-PYD ties - POLITICS

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey

Syrian regime responsible for Ankara bomb attack: PM

upload_2016-2-18_13-55-2.png

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said Feb. 18 that the Syrian regime was directly responsible for the Ankara bomb attack, which killed at least 28 and injured 61.

“The YPG [People’s Protection Units] is a tool of the Syrian regime and the regime is directly responsible for this attack. The right to take all kinds of measures against the Syrian regime is reserved for us,” Davutoğlu said speaking at a press conference after his visit to the General Staff.

Bashar Jaafari, the Permanent Representative of Syria to the United Nations, said on Feb. 17 that the Syria regime was giving support the Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its military wing, the YPG, along with the United States and Russia.

February/18/2016
Syrian regime responsible for Ankara bomb attack: PM - MIDEAST

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Ankara attack could be retaliation: YPG-affiliated PKK’s Cemil Bayık

The leader of the PYD-affiliated PKK terror organization, Cemil Bayık, said on Thursday that he does not know who was behind Wednesday's car bombing in Ankara, but said the attack could be in retaliation for Turkish army's actions, according to the Kurdish Fırat news agency.

"We don't know who did this. But it could be an act of retaliation," Cemil Bayık was quoted as saying by the Fırat news agency, which is affiliated with the PKK terrorist organization, on Thursday.

"Probably whoever undertook the action [Ankara bombing] will explain why they did it. But it is obvious that some people's retaliation and undertaking return actions, in an environment that has a cruel war ongoing against Kurds, is an understandable situation," Bayık said.

Bayık further added, "A new era is coming in which the guerilla [PKK] will be more active inside the cities."

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said on Thursday that the deadly Ankara attack was carried out by a YPG suicide bomber from Syria in collaboration with the PKK.

Speaking to reporters in Ankara, Davutoğlu said that the attack was carried out by a Syrian national named Saleh Najar, who was born in Syria's Hasakah province.

He said that Turkish security forces have detained nine people in connection with the deadly attack, which killed 28 people and injured 61, while noting that 26 of the 28 people killed in Ankara attack were soldiers.
Ankara attack could be retaliation: YPG-affiliated PKK’s Cemil Bayık - Daily Sabah

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country

Well you're both wrong, I understand you don't like Hezbollah but that's not get into unneeded theories. Turkey is accusing YPG. I do believe it is Kurdish revenge attack as well. Hezbollah has no interest in targeting Turkey, it is bogged down in Syria and is assisting the regime well. It seems some people want to drag Turkey into the Syrian quagmire. Because they'd like to see the MB led Turkish government collapse. I won't for a second believe any Arab nations or Sunni nations genuinely have the Syrian peoples interest in their heart.

This is evident by their policy in Syria for the past few years. Arab nations are terrible 'friends' of the opposition. They won't supply them, let alone train them or act on their behalf. The opposition is losing ground at a quick rate. SAA is about to encircle all of Aleppo and make offensive into Jisr Al Shogour to try to move conflict away from Latakia and back into Idlib. Arab nations did nothing to assist the opposition. They will only give them small quantities of certain weapons but no more than that. So they are facing resource shortage, but also their poor training is making them break down in front of the enemy.

Opposition also failed to fortify or prepare defenses in Idlib or Aleppo when they had the chance. That's why Russian air strikes have a strong effect. They underestimated their enemy or believed in false promises from certain nations. ISIS does a lot better job of holding ground. That's why Iraqi led forces in Iraq took them a couple years to gain back some territory there. And Mosul/Raqqa will be a lot worse. So now it's too late for the opposition. Nobody offered to train them or arm them with game changing weapons. Therefore they will lose.

And the idea of ground intervention is too costly/risky for Turkey and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia would have to offer at least 10,000 troops if it wants Turkey to go in with it. You may get dragged in prolonged war with ISIS but also regime or Russia. Turkey and Saudi Arabia brought themselves to this point because once again they refused to make proper investment in opposition. This is because you guys believe their ideas will become popular for other Sunni populations or you fear they turn their weapons back on you. So it's a trust issue which wasn't solved when it should have been. You all had the chance to make them competent forces with decent weaponry. Now you are stuck with very hard choices and none of you are prepared.

Saudi Arabia should at least deploy 2,000 troops in Yemen to get your troops accustomed to urban/asymmetric warfare. But you guys aren't willing to do that, so you won't gain any experience. There are many missed opportunities Arab nations had. They made nothing out of it. All they are good for is cracking down on local populations. This war in Syria is a lost one.