Anti-Muslim violence erupts in India; Hindu extremists attack Muslims leave 27 dead | World Defense

Anti-Muslim violence erupts in India; Hindu extremists attack Muslims leave 27 dead

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
6588.jpg

Congress party supporters in Amritsar burn an effigy of Narendra Modi during a demonstration to protest against the violence occurring in Delhi. Photograph: Narinder Nanu/AFP via Getty Images

Since Sunday violent mobs in north-east Delhi have killed 21 people including a police constable, injured hundreds of others, burned motor vehicles, set fire to shops and homes, assaulted journalists, vandalised places of worship and destroyed a shrine.

The time-honoured convention for reporting on communal violence in India is to not name names. In news reports it is always “violent members of one religious community” attacking violent members of another. This anonymising ritual has the distorting effect of turning unequal violence into a symmetrical tug of war.
It is important, then, to specify that the places of worship vandalised were two mosques and a sufi shrine, that the majority of identified dead people were Muslims, that the thugs frisking reporters, confiscating their phones and beating them up were in every instance Hindu supremacist goons, and that the shops and homes burned nearly always belonged to Muslims.
6489.jpg

How Hindu supremacists are tearing India apart

There were occasions when Muslims burned cars, there is video evidence of a man identified as Muslim who fired a gun, and several instances of stone-throwing by Muslims. But the organising impresarios of this devastation were local politicians affiliated to the Bharatiya Janata party (BJP), India’s ruling party.
They made the incendiary speeches that triggered the violence. Their vigilante auxiliaries attacked Muslims with impunity, and the Delhi police, which reports to the home minister (and Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s right-hand man), Amit Shah, either looked on as goons rioted, arrived after Muslims had been attacked, or actually participated in the violence against people demonstrating against Modi’s discriminatory citizenship law.

Delhi has not seen this kind of violence for decades – but it has been worse: in 1984 the Indian National Congress party used the assassination of Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguard as an excuse for organising a pogrom in which thousands of Sikhs were murdered. The violence in Delhi is not yet a pogrom but a pattern of police complicity, and the political patronage extended to vigilante mobs suggests a continuing public-private partnership designed to violently subdue opposition to the BJP’s Hindu supremacist project.
The cutting edge of this majoritarian project is a radical two-pronged assault on Indian citizenship. First, the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), which is designed to fast-track non-Muslim migrants from carefully chosen Muslim majority countries into citizenship, has created, by implication, a religious test for citizenship.
This new law is to be followed by the compilation of a national register of citizens (NRC) that will compel Indians to document their Indianness. Non-Muslims who fail to satisfy the NRC’s tribunals might be able to use the loophole created by the amended citizenship law to find a path to citizenship. Muslims who fail the test will have no recourse: they will be cast into the kind of limbo that the Rohingya experienced in Rakhine before they were violently purged from that province.
This statutory, institutional subversion of Muslim citizenship would be a great prize for a majoritarian party like the BJP. It would be, if you like, a halfway house between the voter suppression tactics of the Republican party in the US and the Nuremberg laws of Nazi Germany: less covert than the first but less explicitly bigoted than the second.

The CAA/NRC two-step is an existential threat to both Muslim citizenship and India’s now threadbare claim to being a secular, pluralist state. It has provoked an extraordinary pan-Indian campaign of civil disobedience led by Muslims, specifically Muslim women, and university students. After winning a second parliamentary majority in 2019, Modi’s BJP government had seemed unstoppable. The reduction of the state of Jammu and Kashmir into federally governed territories, by stripping it of its constitutionally enshrined autonomy; the supreme court’s judgment ruling that the site of a mosque razed by a Hindu mob in 1992 in Ayodhya could be rebuilt as a Hindu temple, encouraged Modi and Shah to believe that they could spring their citizenship trap without opposition. To be publicly thwarted by a nonviolent movement fronted by Muslims that refuses to use a religious idiom, that invokes India’s constitution and its secular guarantees as holy writ, that wraps itself in the national flag and affirms Bhimrao Ambedkar, the Dalit architect of India’s constitution as its inspiration, has been intensely frustrating for this government.
The violent standoff in Delhi between the supporters of the new citizenship law and its opponents has been misleadingly described as a religious clash for a simple reason. The burden of defending secular citizenship has been shouldered disproportionately by Muslims. At the heart of all the sit-ins are Muslim women, and they are mostly located in Muslim neighbourhoods. These sit-ins have become rallying points for a large, vibrant movement in which non-Muslims participate enthusiastically but there are no mainly non-Muslim sit-ins. The BJP government and India’s pliant television news channels have battened on this to paint the protestors as seditious sectarians determined to thwart Modi’s electoral mandate. There’s nothing this government wants more than to clear these demonstrations. Hence the violence.
Indian Muslim women look out of a window as security officers patrol a street in Delhi

Indian Muslim women look out of a window as security officers patrol a street in Delhi. Photograph: Altaf Qadri/AP

There’s an urgency to this because the resistance to the citizenship law – as symbolised by the sit-ins in the Delhi neighbourhoods of Shaheen Bagh and Jafrabad – has begun to win significant victories. On Tuesday, the government of Bihar, where the BJP rules in coalition with a provincial party, declared that it wouldn’t implement the new National Population Register, a necessary preliminary to compiling the NRC. This might encourage other state governments, especially those ruled by opposition parties, to follow suit.
Without the cooperation of state governments the BJP’s carefully plotted citizenship scheme might come to nothing. This is why the violence in north-east Delhi is both significant and potentially ominous; it might presage something worse, as a thwarted Hindu supremacist government tries to provoke nonviolent protestors, the better to clear them with brute force.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Absolutely disgusting the situation Modi has got India to with his ultra-nationalist policy.

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
Hindu Mobs Gang Raped 13 Year Old Muslim Girl In Jaffrabad Delhi

Deeba’s rape is the reflection of the same state crime where police are ordered to stay back while pro-Government activists, the charged Hindu mobs then carryout massacres, loot and rape of the Muslim minority.
Indian troops have a history of systematically raping women from its conflict zones like Kashmir, Punjab, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Assam, Chhattisgarh and Tamil Nadu — a tactic seemingly designed to terrorize the population into surrendering the demand for independence.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Nobody on either side of the protests should riot and Indian authorities need to clamp down on the situation and not give free pass to extremists.

This gives a good explanation of this new law:

Critics see the changed citizenship law as essentially a "Muslim filter," which will put Muslims at risk of arbitrary detention, according to Dr. Adil Hossain, a journalist and academic at the University of Oxford.

"Millions of people don't have documents," Hossain told ABC News. "All the people belonging to other religions will be given citizenship or protection from the CAA. But when the NRC will be encountered, Muslims will be paperless, identified, and they will either be put for deport[ation] or in detention centers."

The government has repeatedly denied this claim. In December, the Ministry of Home Affairs, the government department in charge of the law, issued a statement saying "Shah reiterated that the Bill is not against any Minority in India and the rights of each Indian Citizen will be equally protected" and "the only religion that Modi government follows is the Constitution of India." However, the Home Minister, Amit Shah, widely seen as the architect behind the citizenship laws, has been accused of stoking sectarian resentment, having once described Bangladeshi migrants in Assam as "infiltrators" and "termites," prior to passing the CAA.

Although the government says the law is intended to naturalize foreign nationals fleeing persecution from neighboring Muslim-majority countries, a basic fact of Indian life is that the vast majority do not have papers to prove they are citizens.

"That is what the protest is all about," Sajal Nag, former Professor of History at Assam University, told ABC News. "That after 70 years of independence, generations of people who have born and died [in India], and now you are asking people for papers. India is a country that started the system of filing birth certificates only about 30 years back."

Nag was born in India, but beyond records showing he was schooled there, he says he cannot prove it – just like millions of others across the country.

"Most Indians don't have papers. I don't have papers. My forefathers came from East Pakistan [modern day Bangladesh], but I don't have any papers to prove I am a citizen of India," he added.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Muslims and Hindu's can live alongside each other and there is no way around that in India. Most live around each other without trouble. The problem is Modi's government incites these nationalist and religious sentiments/fervor and eggs his base on to intimidate both Indians of Muslim/Christian background and other secular Indians. The media associated with his party in India also promotes an us vs. them narrative and so after years of this you have these extremist mobs running around out of control.

That is the problem that needs to be addressed. And it's one of many problems like this around the world that should not exist if we decided to be more accountable as humans. There is Muslim on non-violence in some other nations that needs to be addressed too. I always tell my Muslim brothers focus on self improvement and be just to all if you expect justice for yourselves. That is for the sake of God because God commands us to be just.

Because unfortunately when stuff like this happens, whether in China , India, Myanmar or elsewhere, peoples response is Muslims deserve it because they are trying to take over or that Muslims do the same to their minorities and so on. You can fight these perceptions by improving yourselves and being just to all and responsible. For example, look at Syrian opposition, they have a just cause but when they capture a POW and abuse one of them for example, this can be enough to tarnish their image. It's also prohibited by God to behave this way.

Yet when I tell people these they attack me and think I am defending the attackers and blaming Muslims. I am not, but I take seriously the obligation to obey God and follow his rules. If you are not abiding by his rules then you are being arrogant and rejecting God or decreasing the importance of his rules and commandments. In that case don't expect your situation to change.

starlord

BANNED
Reactions
55 3 0
Country
Pakistan
1583100766477.png

may Allah bless this man for Eternity .. I feel no pain or sadness over the sorrow of Indian Muslims, in fact i hope this is just the beginning and the Hindu they hold so dear will tear them apart, and subjugate them in worse way possible , We Pakistani's were cursed along with our leader for the creation of Pakistan on Two Nation Theory, and now those Indian Muslims who cheer on the misery of Pakistani's are feeling the Heat, I know its wrong but I'm loving every moment :D

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Muslims are being slaughtered in India nowadays under the eyes of the Indian government if not supported by the gov. Modi will pay a heavy price if he does not get his act together.

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
Muslims got really rough awakening . They were brain washed for generations into believing in this Hindu Muslim bhai bahi mantra. They never developed leadership or learned to stand on their feet. They trusted congress as their saviour and now are paying for their mistakes .
I still wish well for them... India is their country as much as it is for Hindus .

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
View attachment 12199
may Allah bless this man for Eternity .. I feel no pain or sadness over the sorrow of Indian Muslims, in fact i hope this is just the beginning and the Hindu they hold so dear will tear them apart, and subjugate them in worse way possible , We Pakistani's were cursed along with our leader for the creation of Pakistan on Two Nation Theory, and now those Indian Muslims who cheer on the misery of Pakistani's are feeling the Heat, I know its wrong but I'm loving every moment :D
1587870159600.png

1587870173800.png

Guess where?

Zeeman

THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reactions
2,688 85 0
Country
Pakistan
India finally placed on American religious freedom watchdog list ......targeted sanctions recommended ...