Anti-Tank Capabilities of Infantry Divisions in Strike Corps | World Defense

Anti-Tank Capabilities of Infantry Divisions in Strike Corps

Signalian

Reactions
1,194 65 0
Country
Pakistan
The infantry divisions which accompany Armored Divisions in Strike Corps, have paramount responsibilities on their shoulders. There are 3 such Infantry Divisions.

1. 17th Infantry Division - I Corps
2. 37th Infantry Division - I Corps
and
3. 40th Infantry Division - II Corps

Role

These Infantry Divisions are part of Strike Corps so have to take part in assault (offensive) led by Armored Division of their respective Corps. They are fully motorized for this purpose and there are "rumors" that they are partly mechanized also.

1. These divisions have to either follow or join Armored Divisions in combat.
2. Provide cover from flank attacks by enemy armor or infantry formations.
3. Hold and defend the area captured by the Armored Division
4. Provide cover in case Armor Division falls back to friendly lines.
5. Provide security to keep lines of communications and logistics open for Strike Corps.

In depiction below, 17 ID moves along with 6 Armor Div while 37 ID is held in reserve. These ID's can be used in any of above mentioned roles.

SC 2.jpg

Structure

The structure is same as of any other Infantry Division. The usual 3 brigade structure, 9 infantry battalions, 1 Armor Regiment, 1 Light Anti Tank Battalion (LAT), 3 Artillery and 3 AD Regiments.

LAT has 24 ATGM 4x4 and 24 MG 4x4. One such Battalion can be considered enough to give AT coverage to entire Division against enemy Armor.

@Gryphon has pointed out in past that Mechanized Infantry Battalions (M-113) are now assigned to Armored Divisions.

Fighting Arms of Infantry Division:

ID FA.jpg

Supporting Arms

ID SA.jpg

Anti Tank Capability- proposed Structure

Since 17,37 and 40 ID move along with PA's Armor Division, they will encounter heavy IA Armor presence in the form of Indian Army's IBG's, Armored Brigades or Division or even RAPID's. Therefore, these Infantry Divisions should have more Anti-Tank component (an Anti Tank Brigade) since they will be encountering T-90 and BMP's of Indian Army much more than other Infantry Divisions of PA.

Following is the proposed structure for these infantry divisions.

A Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
B Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
LAT Bde: 3 x LAT Battalions

1 x Armored Regiment
1 x HAT (Heavy AT) Regiment

pro 1.jpg

Expected Scenario

Since the above three mentioned Infantry Divisions work closely with Armored Divisions, the Indian Army will throw in T-90 and BMP's at them. Which would be be more suited for defense against Indian Armor;

Regular Infantry Brigade OR Light/Heavy Anti Tank Brigade ?

SC1.jpg

Counter-Errorist

THINK TANK
Reactions
2,855 149 0
Country
Pakistan
This Destroyer Concept Is a Tank Battalion’s Worst Nightmare
A single tank destroyer could knock a Russian tank battalion out of action.

Sep 5, 2019

• A European/Polish tank destroyer could very well become the deadliest weapon system on a future battlefield.
  • The tank destroyer packs up to 24 Brimstone anti-tank missiles, each of which uses radar to search for and destroy enemy armor.
  • A single vehicle could cripple enemy tank columns, rendering them incapable of attacking and stopping an invasion dead in its tracks.
A new tank destroyer concept, built for the Polish Army, could become the most effective tank killer in any army. The unnamed vehicle is armed with up to 24 Brimstone anti-tank missiles and can unleash a salvo of tank-hunting missiles, knocking out enemy tank units it can’t actually see.

Poland is a country sandwiched between military giants. In World War II, the country was invaded by both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, and was pushed into joining the Warsaw Pact for the duration of the Cold War. Today Poland forms a major part of NATO’s eastern flank and is vulnerable to Russia’s ground forces, particularly Moscow’s large fleet of main battle tanks.
Recently, Poland issued a requirement for a new tank destroyer vehicle. Tank destroyers are armored vehicles designed with firepower and mobility in mind, meant to quickly take up positions ahead of enemy tank columns and decimate them with long-range guns or missiles. Although sometimes similar to tanks in appearance, tank destroyers sacrifice armor for the ability to quickly plug holes in friendly anti-tank defenses.

Polish Tank Destroyer concept on a BMP-1 chassis.

The new Polish tank killer is a collaboration between Polish PZG Companies and European (mostly UK) MBDA. Concept art shows the system mounted on a Cold War-era BMP-1 infantry fighting vehicle chassis with a box launcher holding 12 Brimstone missiles. The vehicle is also equipped with an American .50-caliber heavy machine gun mounted in a remote weapons turret.
Another depiction shows the system mounted on an unidentified armored vehicle chassis. This shows the system mounted in three boxes of eight missiles each, for a total of 24 Brimstone missiles.

BRITAIN-SYRIA-CONFLICT-POLITICS

A Brimstone missile about to be loaded on a Tornado attack aircraft during 2015 air strikes on Islamic State forces.

Brimstone is a medium range air-to-surface missile system developed by the U.K. The missile looks similar to the American Hellfire anti-tank missile but differs in key ways. Like Hellfire, Brimstone uses a millimetric wave radar seeker to locate and identify armor. This gives the new Polish tank destroyer the ability to engage enemy tanks at ranges of up to 12 kilometers (or about 7.45 miles).

Unlike Hellfire, Brimstone has an even more interesting indirect fire capability. Brimstone can be launched towards a defined target area and will then locate and attack any enemy tanks and armored vehicles it finds.

If Brimstone proves just 90 percent effective (MBDA itself claims 98.7 percent effectiveness in combat) a Brimstone strike could destroy 22 out of 50 tanks and armored fighting vehicles in a Russian battalion tactical group (BTG). That’s enough to render the unit combat ineffective. Two crippled BTGs will render the parent unit, a Russian tank brigade, incapable of offensive combat.

RUSSIA-DEFENCE-ARMY-FORUM

Russian T-90 tanks on exercise at Kubinka.

So far, no other country has a weapon such as the proposed Polish tank destroyer. The U.S. Army disbanded its tank destroyer units at the end of the Cold War, and even the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter can only carry a maximum of 16 Hellfire anti-tank missiles. Apache helicopters are also more or less limited to line of sight attacks.

The MBDA tank destroyer concept represents a powerful capability in which even a handful of armored vehicles could turn an advancing tank army into scrap in a matter of seconds.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Are military tanks absolute? I am starting to see many countries walking away from tanks shifting to LAVs. I think the next generation would be more reliant on fast deployment and special ops.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I wonder how anti-tank divisions deal with active protection systems on modern tanks? Would they just request air support? These APS systems work against paramilitary groups with limited capabilities but I don't know how they would fare against modern armies.

Wingless

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Pakistan
Assalamoalaikum.
I don't know how will Pakistan deal with CAATSA for more Kornets but I think the factor is too much for our armed forces as, now , they are testing Omtas.
If the 24×LAT vehicles and 24× MG3 batteries can be exchanged with LAV, then it would be better inshaAllah as MODP year book 2017-2018 does mention work on indigenous development of such vehicle. I think KIA LATV was finalised but not fully confirmed. If OMTAS or any other can be fitted to such vehicle, then it would be great for LAT inshaAllah.
But if you people have seen video of "army recognition" covering Zhuhai 2016 air show, they do covered a vehicle copying something like Kornet vehicle. Perhaps the missile fitted was Sabre ER which was claimed to be similar to kornets. That should also be tested. Another thing I would like to add is to put a 14.5 mm turret to LATV/LAV to replace the ordinary MG3 armed 4×4 jeeps. Lastly, the HAT should include proper IFVs like tulpar, VN 17 or any other in this category.
By modernizing first the Strike corps first should be the aim.

Wingless

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Pakistan
Apart from the strike corps I and II, the corp V, corp XXXI, Corp XXX and Corp IV should also be upgraded. Though my wishful dream is a bit aggressive and expensive way to go for our crippled economy but I would like to share it as indians have a massive BMP inventory.
I think the respectable members do know that our infantry divisions take cover of older T-59 tanks for effective fire power. The total length of international border with india and working boundary is around 2200-2300 km. If we cut out the roughly 100 km length of Rann kach, then length comes out to be 2100 to 2200 km. Along these borders, if at suitable spaces of every 50 k.m, a specialized armoured regiment of 40 IFVs with 10 T-59 tanks are raised such that each regiment can have 10 batteries of 1 T-59 tank and 4 IFVs moving in a pyramid structure, then total 42-44 such regiments will be required by these CORPS to fully cover the whole border. The number of T-59s needed will be 450 at maximum which we already have but the IFVs required will be around 1800 which is too much for Pakistan but not impossible. If these IFVs are armed with BUMERANG-MB epoch turret or its turkish or chinese equvalent, then these will be able to withstand any massive tank attack, plus, will give the infantry an effective cover (as IFVs are armoured vehicles definitely which can carry 7-9 personnel apart from crew). If we include the HAT regiments to this number, then PA needs around total of 2000 IFVs. But remember my point please that I wish for an IFV with 30 mm cannon and 2 anti-tank missiles on each side.