Are the Baltic countries a concern? | World Defense

Are the Baltic countries a concern?

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
After Russia invaded Ukraine, the question is left in the air: are the Baltic countries menaced as well? Should the US and NATO place troops there to defend them from an eventual attack?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Russia's targeting Ukraine because of its ownership of Crimea. Putin plans to drill for oil on Crimea's coast after they've successfully seized the territory. That's currently his plan A. Should this plan not succeed, he may shift his focus elsewhere and the Balkan states could be in danger. It would be good to have backup troops stationed there but it seems like there's a shortage of troops as NATO is currently fighting various wars in the Middle East. Only signatory countries and countries that have existing military agreements with NATO members will be able to send troops. The UN can't send their peacekeeping troops unless there's an existing conflict.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Sure, Crimea has a big importance both in oil and as a harbor, but the economic sanctions are blowing them away, so I really don't think that their motivation was economic.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I do not think we should be sending troops just yet, but we should definitely be keeping a close eye on the situation. The Baltic states have ports, so that could certainly make them attractive, though Russia has a Baltic port so they really don't have any excuses.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
Russia's targeting Ukraine because of its ownership of Crimea. Putin plans to drill for oil on Crimea's coast after they've successfully seized the territory. That's currently his plan A. Should this plan not succeed, he may shift his focus elsewhere and the Balkan states could be in danger. It would be good to have backup troops stationed there but it seems like there's a shortage of troops as NATO is currently fighting various wars in the Middle East. Only signatory countries and countries that have existing military agreements with NATO members will be able to send troops. The UN can't send their peacekeeping troops unless there's an existing conflict.

There was also the pending decision to apply for EU membership - if successful (which is likely) it would cut Russia off from Crimea possibly indefinitely. It also would make life cheaper/easier with respect to that huge pipeline project.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
There was also the pending decision to apply for EU membership - if successful (which is likely) it would cut Russia off from Crimea possibly indefinitely. It also would make life cheaper/easier with respect to that huge pipeline project.
So you mean they'd stop supporting those rebels? I think they've already supplied them with several weapons, enough to last for months. And this kind of baffles me. Isn't Russia a part of Asia? Why would it want to join EU?

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
So you mean they'd stop supporting those rebels? I think they've already supplied them with several weapons, enough to last for months. And this kind of baffles me. Isn't Russia a part of Asia? Why would it want to join EU?
No not Russia joining the EU - Ukraine joining it.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Part of Russia is still in Europe and the same with Ukraine. Ukraine wanted to join, but they need to meet certain economic requirements to do so, with the war now I think it's hard that they ever join.

n4rk92

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
There is no way the EU would accept Ukraine. There is no stability or proper rule in Ukraine right now, just a more Western puppet installed instead of a Russian puppet. EU is also crumbling on its own at the moment with Greece and Spain thinking about abandoning the Union. Why the hell would the EU (Germany as the leader) want to take on a fragmented liability that will need to be bailed out and may cause even more problems for the EU with Russia? Russia is very important to the EU for their trade, and I highly doubt that it would risk hurting itself more than the EU already has.

Much of what is reported on television and media is quiet skewed with no factual backing, but that is how propaganda works. If dedollarization continues, there will be a war, and it will be the US who will be the instigator like it has been in recent decades for its FIAT currency world domination.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
I thik that sendind troops in those countries would be a mistake. The Ukrine situation was totally different. The russians took action in taking control over Crimeea, but they didn't do nothing regarding Baltic countries yet. We don't know how they will interpret the possible troops in those countries.

Dez97

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
USA
I definitely think the NATO and the US should step in, because at any point in time, an attack could happen, at least they would be protected before time.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure Putin is interested in the Baltic but currently doesn't have a reason that can be explained to the less educated Russians and the rest of the world as to why he can attack. Ukraine and Crimea was attacked because he essentially used the idea that the Ukraine was at a point part of Russia etc. That won't work here and also we must not forget that the Baltic countries are part of NATO.

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
There is no way the EU would accept Ukraine. There is no stability or proper rule in Ukraine right now, just a more Western puppet installed instead of a Russian puppet. EU is also crumbling on its own at the moment with Greece and Spain thinking about abandoning the Union. Why the hell would the EU (Germany as the leader) want to take on a fragmented liability that will need to be bailed out and may cause even more problems for the EU with Russia? Russia is very important to the EU for their trade, and I highly doubt that it would risk hurting itself more than the EU already has.

Much of what is reported on television and media is quiet skewed with no factual backing, but that is how propaganda works. If dedollarization continues, there will be a war, and it will be the US who will be the instigator like it has been in recent decades for its FIAT currency world domination.

...and that is the point. Before the troubles there was a goof chance Ukraine would have been accepted -why not plenty of other poor ex-CIS states have joined. If that had happened, then the oil fields of Crimea would be a much harder get for Putin - he would have to start a world war to get it.

Greece and Spain don't want to leave the EU - that would be madness, killing the cash cow for no gain whatsoever - it is the big countries that are fed up with the continual down steam bailing out when these countries refuse to make necessary to change to improve their position - Greece has a wildly over paid and over sized military and public sector for example, its part of the old corruption, but refuse to reduce numbers.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal

That is not true, Spain won't leave the EU and I don't think Greece will leave either. I do agree that Ukraine can't join now, but they can certainly join NATO and that is something the Russians don't want, NATo right up to their borders.

MrDan89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think Greece might soon, their new government is a bit of shambles to say the least. How can a far right/left coalition ever work is beyond me but only time will tell. The Baltics are not a concern, Russia may try to take them over one by one if they were so inclined but what would be the point? The West hasn't moved much on the Ukraine issue but if Russia started to land grab anywhere else in Europe I think it would push the West to step in